News   May 17, 2024
 330     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 267     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.5K     5 

2006 Census: Visible Minorities

It's kind of strange to go to Timmy's or McDonalds in NS and have 40 year old white ladys at the counter taking your order. That sort of gig is not always a stepping stone type job down there.

I noticed that too when I was out east recently. The strange thing is they actually smile and say "good morning", "thank you" and "dear". This one Tim's in Truro actually delivered my meal to the table. "Just sit down dear and I'll bring it over". I had this deer in the headlights look, like I was in the twilight zone or something. This was morning and they were busy, but so much more laid back and everyone was'nt in such a big rush. It was a refreshing change and I made sure to drop back in on my way back. Again they were all smiles and friendly.

..er' okay, so whites are racist if they don't support immigration from other races, but smug if they do? Dude, get your chip off your shoulder. 'Native' Canadians were immigrants here too, they just lost out. Deal!

Oh, brother :rolleyes:

Would there not be a shadow trend of so-called "ethnic whites" (Italians, Poles et al) in their turn dispersing t/w "inner exurban" zones? (Caledon--Bolton especially--comes to mind...)

A Chinese family bought a house next to mine. I must now disperse towards the inner zones with my kin and retake strategic plots of land. We must win! :rolleyes:

Does the use of the word "whites" immediately make anyone else think of eggs or is it just me?

Yikes, my census tract (Yonge and St. Clair) is 85% white. 40 people out of the 5000 total in this census tract have no knowledge of either official language.

A Chinese family bought a house next to mine. I must now disperse towards the inner zones with my kin and retake strategic plots of land. We must win! :rolleyes:

If you were responding to my post, note that I said "inner exurban". That is, places like Bolton, Georgetown, etc which may not be seeing a big influx of vizmins (yet?), but perhaps more those of "Euro-ethnics" verging away from Mississauga, et al--i.e. they, too, are getting noticeably less WASPy...

There is a political effect to all this too. As diversity of the GTA spreads out, the Conservatives get further pushed to the margins. At this point, they're prett much limited to the less-diverse, outer-suburban and exurban fringe (Whitby, Burlington, Caledon, etc.). So whatever the trouble the Libs are in nationally, one place they're solid is in the GTA (is it not a coincidence that all of the leadership candidates except Dion and Brison were from Toronto?)

Speaking of the "white ethnics" moving to exurbia, the question is will they bring their Liberal voting habits with them, or will with increased assimilation will they start voting more for the Conservatives?

Speaking of the "white ethnics" moving to exurbia, the question is will they bring their Liberal voting habits with them, or will with increased assimilation will they start voting more for the Conservatives?

Hard to tell. Bolton's tended to be the most Liberal-leaning part of Dufferin-Caledon by far--and if it eventually becomes part of a seat called "Bolton-Springdale", it may well go with the Liberal flow...

The Conservatives won that riding by a very wide margin, so even if the "white ethnic" vote there split 50/50 between the Liberals and Tories I would say it represents a move away from traditional voting patterns.

But that's geographical incumbent/organizational power for you. Likewise, various riding boundary shifts in central Niagara Region can magically drive up NDP strength wherever Peter Kormos is the candidate.

A converse argument might be: those "white ethnics" who choose Bolton aren't necessarily those with Liberal voting patterns, i.e. they might have lived in 416 and inner-905 back when Mike Harris ruled...

A converse argument might be: those "white ethnics" who choose Bolton aren't necessarily those with Liberal voting patterns, i.e. they might have lived in 416 and inner-905 back when Mike Harris ruled...

Makes sense to me. Obviously ethnicity alone doesn't determine voting behavior, one also has to factor in class, geography, degree of assimilation, etc. So Italians who live in York South-Weston could very well vote differently than their counterparts in Dufferin-Caledon. There is a significant NDP vote among the Chinese in Trinity-Spadina and Toronto-Danforth but obviously not in Willowdale or Markham. Orthodox Jews around Bathurst and Lawrence vote very differently from secular Jews in St. Paul and Trinity-Spadina, etc.

..er' okay, so whites are racist if they don't support immigration from other races, but smug if they do?

Yes, but this applies to people of any race, not just whites. People should not view a person of Asian race moving into their city as better or worse than a person of White race. Having a variety of skin tones doesn't make a place better or worse, it's the diversity of ideas and personalities that really matters.

So I don't really see why our growing population of "visible minorities" (ugh I hate this term) makes us a better place.

Back