News   Jun 14, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 925     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 657     0 

Verve Condos (Tridel) - Real Estate -

As much as I try I just can't bring myself to like this building. I'm hoping the area will get a few more point towers to box it in some how.

I think continuing the green reflective panelling up to that roof element really adds an extra touch of class to Verve. I like the appearance of this building and love its height. I think it also plays an important role in this neighbourhood (more or less a gentrification) Nothing groundbreaking design-wise, but not ugly at all.

I feel the same about it. It isn't stellar architecture by any means, but the building is a solid addition to the neighbourhood, and extends the 'nice' bit of Wellesley all the way over to Sherbourne (leap-frogging the Petro-Canada, which is crying out for someone to redevelop it).

Its funny but there is a bias on this board: there are lots and lots of shots of buildings from a distance and very very few shots of building podiums (and I mean no disrespect to the shots of buildings afar, as I love them).

This obviously goes with the territory of the proliferation of comments about building heights, laments for buildings that are not taller or that have heights shaven by the city, and discussions about 'gaps' in the skyline being filled. Personally, I don't give a hoot about any of those things and I tend to focus on the effect of the building at pedestrian level and there is very little discussion and focus on such.

That is my rant for today boys and girls. Thanks for listening and now you can go on with your regular business. ;)

^I totally agree! Many people who post on this board, I reckon, live in the 'burbs or GTA and rarely see downtown, other than the cheesy spots such as Yonge St, the Biz District, DD, and maybe Queen and King St as far as Spadina, perhaps Yorkville. That's not the "real" Toronto. Which is why I attempt, in my photos, to show the base, the context, the people, what makes Toronto.

The base of Verve is better than the tower; but I'm still hating this project because it could've been so much better. The area needs a stunning development--something by Clewes, for example--to help beautify the grim surroundings.

2289857032_5fac5523e3_b.jpg

This is mine from Feb 24. More of the lowrise section can be seen in a photo set on page 13 of this thread.

I don't know about the claim that many people live in the ‘burbs or GTA (again, as if this is really some sort of insult). For me, the most compelling feature of this development is its height in relation to the other tall slabs. It is the only new, substantial development in this tired part of town. By poking much taller it has added a new context to St. James and the whole Sherbourne area. I personally view this as a positive step forward even though the architecture and colour are exceedingly banal.

While I agree with UD that this area could use something extraordinary I would remind you that not all areas are blessed with the conditions that invite greatness. Babysteps are in order. Would the fact that new development is taking place in this area not be an extraordinary step in its own right? I'm not suggesting that anyone should champion the lowest common denominator. No. I'm not suggesting that at all.

If there one thing I've learned from this board is that we cannot use broad-strokes to assess every development. The indicators of success and failure for one development may not be in play for others. Rather, one can expect to use a more critical lens or to expect more of some developments but not for others. For me, Verve doesn't require the same level of critical assessment because it is not in the same class as, oh lets say RoCP2, Pure Spirits, or 1 St. Thomas (all of which are in their own classes). This rant comes from a guy who lives downtown and appreciates all things street-wall and most things in context.

I also like cartoons set in the future.

Verve Time Lapse Photography

Follow this link to see a quick rip I did of the Verve's timelapse photography. The period covers about a year and half up until February 2008. The actual footage was over 14 minutes and this one was hacked down to a minute and a half. Sorry about the compression artifacts but I'm dealing with compressed images being compressed again to ensure a reasonable download.

The file is an SWF so you need a Flash plugin for it to play.

http://tridel.com/verve/timelapse.swf

Here's the WMV version: http://tridel.com/verve/timelapse.wmv

Back