News   May 03, 2024
 350     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 256     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 137     0 

2006 Census: Visible Minorities

Even the "white" race is made up of various ethnicities that hate each other or at the very least, rarely mix. Just walk through any older Toronto neighbourhood and see how the various "whites" get along: On the surface, perhaps they do; dig deeper, and you'll start to understand what I mean....

I don't think those old European nationalisms clashing really happens here in Toronto very much. Sure people might stick together, but Polish gangs don't fight German gangs as far as I know.

"I don't think those old European nationalisms clashing really happens here in Toronto very much. Sure people might stick together, but Polish gangs don't fight German gangs as far as I know."

Maybe not but you would be surprised at how old European nationalism still rears its head in conversation and on the soccer pitch (Mediterranean, Eastern European, Balkan, British Isles)

How does this poll even make sense? They compare South Asian which encompasses a whole lot of ethnicities and languages and cultures, with Chinese...wouldn't it make more sense to compare South Asian with East Asian, counting all Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc...?

Actually, Vietnam is in South East Asia. China, Taiwan (Yeah, i know they're Chinese), Korea (North and South), Japan, and possibly Mongolia are all in East Asia. Mongolia is considered to be in North East Asia or just North Asia too.

However, with that said, historically speaking, Vietnam had social and political ties with the rest of East Asia. Their society was Confucius and, along with China, Korea, and Japan, they were considered to be part of the "Sinic" world. I consider them to fall somewhere between South East Asia and East Asia (my opinion).

Anyway, you make a good point. With Koreans and Japanese being in the top 10, i'm curious how the numbers would match up if we were comparing the number of South Asians and East Asians (not just the Chinese).

I think Vietnam has much more in common with the rest of Southeast Asia than it does with China, and this is most evident in the cuisine. However, some things are almost exactly the same like the religion and the calender... but in my opinion overall it is a Southeast Asian country, not East Asian.

I was surfing around Statcan's site and noticed that they released racial and ethnic statistics for things like salary, education, employment, career field, household sizes, citizenship etc all for free

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/english/...poral=2006&APATH=3&THEME=80&PTYPE=97154&GRP=0

Examples:

Population group/race, Canada:
Chinese labour participation rate: 61.8%... Chinese unemployment rate 7.5%. Black participation rate of 70.7%, unemployment rate 10.6%. White participation rate 66.9, unemployment rate 5.9%

ethnic origin: Tamils in Toronto CMA - 80% are Canadian citizens, unemployment rate 11.3% (16.4% for females, compared to 6.6% entire Canadian female unemployment). average income is $23,461, compared to $50,282 for the Dutch, $40,203 for the Maltese.

Of course you have to remember that for the Tamils over 15, over 95% are first generation, while for the ethnic Dutch only a quarter are first generation and many of those would probably not be recent

Those statistics are only useful to prove that immigrants are stuck doing the worst, most poorly paid jobs in the country. The sad thing is someone is going to take those numbers and start arguing about how we shouldn't be allowing "riff-raff" into the country.

Stereotyping's a two-way street. Many multigenerational Canadians are no less inclined to do hard work, but are limited by geography and education level. If small industry towns lose their cheif revenue source, what are workers supposed to do?

actually most 2nd generation kids are lazier then there parents, but only because they have had a far better life then their parents when they first came here.

My father first came here (around 16) living in a small apartment with his two parents and three brothers. He was pulled out of University in India by his parents to come here. Here Had to take a 1 hr bus ride to get to work and never had a chance to further educate myself.

I would imagine this is a common story for many immigrants.

My life has been far easier and I did have to work full time till 20.

ethnic origin: Tamils in Toronto CMA - 80% are Canadian citizens, unemployment rate 11.3% (16.4% for females, compared to 6.6% entire Canadian female unemployment). average income is $23,461, compared to $50,282 for the Dutch, $40,203 for the Maltese.

What exactly are you comparing here? I'm looking at the stats and it says "Average income: 36,559" for the Dutch. The Tamil one for "average income" says "24,077" for average income. Chinese at 28,816. Maybe you accidentally compared male income with female income for two different groups? (MAle income is always higher than female income on this chart, apparently). Since many Tamils are refugees, I'm not too surprised...

I am surprised by the Korean one. Average income: 21,421? Am I missing some explanation here? I did not think it would be that low, certainly don't get that impression. Actually, the Taiwanese income is lower than the "Chinese" one, at "21,769".....this is quite unexpected in my opinion.....

Seems like most minority groups are significantly below the white ones, except for the Japanese, who are mostly assimilated by now without much recent immigrants and accordingly have an average income similar to the "white" groups, around 38,000.

I was trying to look around and find out if any other minorities broke the 30,000 barrier....so far I've only found that Indians do, barely. Chinese are close....Woah. Jewish average income is nearly $60,000. Massive outlier.

I found it amusing that they put "Newfoundlander" as an ethnic origin.

Last edited:

Why is that amusing? In the hundreds of years since European settlement began in Newfoundland, a unique culture has formed there. They have their own cultural practises and three distinct dialects of European languages (English, French, and Irish - though the latter two are, for all purposes, dead). In a similar amount of times, new ethnic groups have formed across the Americas - for example, Jamaicans, Mexicans, Brazilians, etc. Perhaps a good analogy would be that Newfoundlanders are to English Canadians what Acadians are to French Canadians: similar and forming at the same time, yet distinct and (in many ways) more cohesive cultural units.

Let's not forget, Newfoundland and Labrador only joined Canada in 1949. Many of those Dutch, Jews, etc. have been Canadians longer than Newfoundlanders have been. In a survey done a few years ago, coincidentally, it was Newfoundlanders and somewhat surprisingly not Quebecois who identified with their province first and Canada second to the greatest degree.

What exactly are you comparing here? I'm looking at the stats and it says "Average income: 36,559" for the Dutch. The Tamil one for "average income" says "24,077" for average income. Chinese at 28,816. Maybe you accidentally compared male income with female income for two different groups? (MAle income is always higher than female income on this chart, apparently). Since many Tamils are refugees, I'm not too surprised...

I am surprised by the Korean one. Average income: 21,421? Am I missing some explanation here? I did not think it would be that low, certainly don't get that impression. Actually, the Taiwanese income is lower than the "Chinese" one, at "21,769".....this is quite unexpected in my opinion.....

Seems like most minority groups are significantly below the white ones, except for the Japanese, who are mostly assimilated by now without much recent immigrants and accordingly have an average income similar to the "white" groups, around 38,000.

I was trying to look around and find out if any other minorities broke the 30,000 barrier....so far I've only found that Indians do, barely. Chinese are close....Woah. Jewish average income is nearly $60,000. Massive outlier.

I was looking specifically at numbers for the Toronto CMA, the numbers you are quoting are from all of Canada

Last edited:

Back