News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 630     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I see this thing every day and can't believe the progress... it's the Roger Clemens of skyscraper construction.

3D, your claim that this building is on steroids is ridiculous. What 'til the Building Commissioner hears about this!

here's a video that someone had posted on this thread before showing how the crane is self jacking...

You just wanted so write 'self-jacking'.

I guess so.

Exactly.

From what I can tell it's the largest building by volume being constructed in the core. Sadly, however, this latest addition of architecture to MINT will largely go unnoticed, indeed i suspect it will register as just another large generic office block- no better no worse.

From what I can tell it's the largest building by volume being constructed in the core. Sadly, however, this latest addition of architecture to MINT will largely go unnoticed, indeed i suspect it will register as just another large generic office block- no better no worse.

So bascially....

It maintains the boxy conformity of downtown, while adding extreme density. Of course there are still two more towers on the go for the site, and the creation of a urban/business plaza won't hurt this project's overall presence either.

Can someone explain to me what the point of this temporary cladding is? If it's for maintaining an internal environment, then why are there so many gaps in it? Does it take that long to install? And why have I not seen other construction projects do this?

Can someone explain to me what the point of this temporary cladding is? If it's for maintaining an internal environment, then why are there so many gaps in it? Does it take that long to install? And why have I not seen other construction projects do this?

I think Montage at Cityplace was the first hi-rise project to use this technology in Toronto....

Check out the pics in that thread and I guess you'll have a good idea of how it's suppose to function and improve worker productivity by protecting them from the external elements...

I suspect that BA is more of a 50 story Arbe center than a comittment to TO's traditions in the international style. I mean lets face it- it's nothing to get excited about from a design pov. Indeed haven't some prominent architects noted in the papers the tepid designs in the latest three office buildings when compared to other large world cities? I'm happy something is being build and I am curious as to the results- but i can't help but feel that this is the common denominator in highrise office architecture.

I suspect that BA is more of a 50 story Arbe center than a comittment to TO's traditions in the international style. I mean lets face it- it's nothing to get excited about from a design pov. Indeed haven't some prominent architects noted in the papers the tepid designs in the latest three office buildings when compared to other large world cities? I'm happy something is being build and I am curious as to the results- but i can't help but feel that this is the common denominator in highrise office architecture.

Who's responsibilty is it that Toronto's buildings stay on the leading edge of design? Is it the developers who build the towers?; the tenants who rent in them?, or the city which allows them to be built? When the banks built their office towers, they demanded unique designs because they were making a statement about their wealth and power. We don't have companies out there in Toronto right now with that kind of money that are willing to invest that much money in the designs of their offices..

It's a purely economic thing now and we're coming out of an almost 20 year period with no major office construction to speak of..( I'm thinkin' 91 when BCE finished up). Maybe, if we had a Calgary style crush of construction, we would have at least gotten one gem (i.e "The Bow")

And remember..the purpose of these buildings is primarily to provide functional office space to workers/clients. Unless your tenant demands you (as a developer) build cutting edge architecture, and you (as the developer) build with profit in mind, what incentive is there for you to go "out of the box", and design something truely unique? There is no economic force out there right now telling developers, you must build better office towers or else.... Until there is "that force" in that city, you will not see anything groundbreaking or unique. Maybe one day we will have the type of scale in development terms such as places like New York or Chicago, where big name tenants will demand unique designs before they sign the leasing agreements.

I'm not so sure that Toronto could not have done better on the latest round of office towers despite the cagey environment. One could not get more moderate and restrained architecturally than BA :eek:

Back