News   May 17, 2024
 2.4K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I was just wondering; can the modifications that will make 4401 a production vehicle be done by Bombardier employees at the Leslie Barns? I'm realizing that when 4402 was shipped back to Thunder Bay Leslie was not opened yet, so that makes me wonder if they have the proper equipment and the qualified personnel at Leslie to do the job.

If people think I stay up late at night watching the GPS on cars, they are sadly mistaken, as I have other things going on that are more important than doing that. I have a browsers page open for tracking and may look at it from time to time, depending on what I am doing at the time. Being doing all nigher most of my work life and nothing new for me.

4443 & 4444 are Aug cars and any other cars delivery this month are July. Will 4443 get to Hillcrest by the 31 is unknown at this time since no info from the various source has shown up yet and they could be on holiday. Its a given 4444 will end up being ship in Sept.

As for tracking cars, I stop doing that some time ago, but for some strange reason, I did it for 4441 & 4442.

4442 is currently on St Clair and was still in the service bay at noon. So far, it has log over 40 hours doing testing and far more than 4441 every did. What was odd when I last post it was going to St Clair, it head back down to the Bathurst loop and back up a couple of times. Never seen this in the past, but could had happen in the past. It did make its way to the Dufferin Loop as well coming down Coxwell.

Doesn't bow well for BBD
Past delivery delays tank Bombardier’s bid for New York City subway contract

Tweeted out by @g_meslin just now. Certainly close to the start of September.

DIl48iPXoAEPPt-.jpg:large

Will 4442 enter service tomorrow or will it be Sunday for 512 Route??

It has log over 80 hours of testing to the point I thought it would be Tuesday after doing the in service and stop announcement testing on Monday. It was in the yard at 11 pm, but as I head to bed after 1 am, it had left the yard and heading to St Clair for more testing. Tuesday morning saw it in the service back and got out about 5 pm for more testing.

It did the stop announcement testing again on 506 around 6 pm today and only out for a short time. Currently in the service bay.

4443 was close being an Aug car, but no cigar for being a Sept car now. Now when will 4444 show up??

With 2/3rd of the require cars on hand, the failure rate is piss poor and what will TTC do come car 4461 if the rate not up or close to the 30,000 km as per contract??

Three years almost to the day that the Flexities entered service. A couple of years before that Drum was posting info that there would be something like 30+ cars in service for the first day and there were two. Here we are three years later with 42 cars...
The plan in 2013 was to have all 510 cars being Flexity come Aug 31, 2014 when the line went back in service and that was 18 cars alone. As time went on, the numbers keep decreasing to the point there was only 2 ready for service with 4400 and 4403 being the 2.

On Aug 31, 3 years later, we had 40 cars in service, averaging 12.66 cars a year for delivery. With 4442 now in service, we have 41, since 4401 is still a non TTC car and still has to be rebuilt as well do its burn in like 4400 and 4402 had to do when they were rebuilt.

At the same time, pantograph was to be used on 510 in 2014, yet no pans 3 years later. TTC decided not to use pans on 510 until 501 & 504 were converted to pans schedule for for late 2015 or early 2016, yet still not done and more like 2018 or 2019 since a number of intersections still have to be rebuilt.

The plan in 2013 was to have all 510 cars being Flexity come Aug 31, 2014 when the line went back in service and that was 18 cars alone. As time went on, the numbers keep decreasing to the point there was only 2 ready for service with 4400 and 4403 being the 2.

On Aug 31, 3 years later, we had 40 cars in service, averaging 12.66 cars a year for delivery. With 4442 now in service, we have 41, since 4401 is still a non TTC car and still has to be rebuilt as well do its burn in like 4400 and 4402 had to do when they were rebuilt.

At the same time, pantograph was to be used on 510 in 2014, yet no pans 3 years later. TTC decided not to use pans on 510 until 501 & 504 were converted to pans schedule for for late 2015 or early 2016, yet still not done and more like 2018 or 2019 since a number of intersections still have to be rebuilt.

4442 makes 42 cars in service. If 4401 was also in service, it would make 43.

Three years almost to the day that the Flexities entered service. A couple of years before that Drum was posting info that there would be something like 30+ cars in service for the first day and there were two. Here we are three years later with 42 cars...

Brilliant post.

I might add that there are never any sources, references or citations for much of what such "senior" posters say. Goes to show how much we can trust this "inside" info.

Besides this, it is downright embarrassing that we are in this situation of so few Flexities. I gave up on tracking the individual deliveries some time ago as I was getting too angry and flustered each and every time a "promise" was made by Bombardier. While the company has improved their performance, they are still on track to miss their ultimate 2019 deadline.

I might add that there are never any sources, references or citations for much of what such "senior" posters say. Goes to show how much we can trust this "inside" info.

To be fair, those streetcar numbers Drum said at the time were posted publicly by the TTC. Plus inside information changes all the time, you can ask 10 different people the same thing at TTC, or Metrolinx or wherever (insert major public or private corporation here), and get 10 different answers. It's not that people don't know, but the nature of the work is very dynamic. Also I think being a public forum, it should be a given that all the info is taken by a grain of salt. But yes, it's great when there are sources.

Odd though, that there's only 29 Flexities (and 30 when I checked earlier today). Normally there are more on Sundays, but there were 34 or 35 earlier this week. They should have been able to put out about 7 of 14 512s, rather than just 2.

Meanwhile there's been a couple of CLRVs out on Harbourfront (running as 512, but presumably not signed that way. Hmm, and a 310 (Spadina) heading north on Bathurst at Front (4411) - I wonder what that's about ...

Edit - looks to be that lone Flexity is running a 511 route - presumably to help with the Ex. I wonder what else is running out there, if I start digging.

Last edited:

Back