News   May 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 561     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

It isn't necessary to have a dedicated ROW on Bathurst all the way up Queen. The worst and horrific part of the daily traffic is typically between Fleet and Adelaide. This also coincides with the loss of about one northbound lane of traffic at Adelaide. So a ROW from Fleet, across a rebuilt bridge, then up to Adelaide should be sufficient, and extremely welcome.

... simply restricting left turns at Wellington (going north on Bathurst) would solve a lot of the congestion.

Hopefully the City/TTC will figure out how to operate streetcar service into Dufferin Gate Loop during the Ex rather than rely on buses (this year 514 was sent to Sunnyside) while the Bathurst Bridge rebuild happens.

I think it may have something to do with the size of the cars. I used the Dufferin Gates to enter/exit the CNE. With all the 29s and the occasional 193 mixed with the people there was limited room for flexities. Perhaps back in the day when the PCCs were around (which were much smaller) it made sense but not anymore.

As for the 511.. there needs to be an ROW otherwise things will be constantly backed up. I used to work at Bathurst and Lakeshore, prior to that at the Automotive Building. Taking the 511 was a pain in the rear in rush hour because of all the condos. People regularly used Bathurst to get to the Spadina ramps. Even with the advance sometimes I waited 10-15 minutes to turn Southwest.

... simply restricting left turns at Wellington (going north on Bathurst) would solve a lot of the congestion.

The while that would be greatly appreciated by the Niagara Neighbourhood, that proposal would prevent a car from turning left until north of Queen. With the exception being Portugal Square which would loop you around the church and dump you back on to Bathurst heading south. My experience is that that the line up for the left turn at wellington clears fairly quick do to the light at King St being timed such that traffic on King have a longer light than those on Bathurst. The bigger problem is the southbound traffic at Fort York Blvdtraffic turnning both left and right stops everything as the left turns wait for both pedestrians and cars to clear and the right turns wait for pedestrians to clear. At 5pm on a weekday it takes on average 10mins to travel from King St to Lakeshore. An advanced green or a no left turn at Fort York would help greatly.

The while that would be greatly appreciated by the Niagara Neighbourhood, that proposal would prevent a car from turning left until north of Queen. With the exception being Portugal Square which would loop you around the church and dump you back on to Bathurst heading south. My experience is that that the line up for the left turn at wellington clears fairly quick do to the light at King St being timed such that traffic on King have a longer light than those on Bathurst. The bigger problem is the southbound traffic at Fort York Blvdtraffic turnning both left and right stops everything as the left turns wait for both pedestrians and cars to clear and the right turns wait for pedestrians to clear. At 5pm on a weekday it takes on average 10mins to travel from King St to Lakeshore. An advanced green or a no left turn at Fort York would help greatly.

this is exactly the issue. The issue is directly south of the bridge at Bathurst/Fort York. You've got people making a left into CityPlace without an auxiliary left turn lane PLUS their competing with the northbound vehicles turning right. Both are being shoved into one lane serving a community of what 30,000 residents? There's only three accesses into that site. Preventing people form turning left into the site from Bathurst would require them to turn left at Lakeshore then another left at Dan Leckie way.

I work in the area and based on my observations it would seem as if the CityPlace community is a lot less transit and active transportation-oriented than initially envisioned. I would bet that a good chunk of people living in City Place are actually regularly driving via the Gardner to Mississauga, North York or Markham. No data to back that up, just that fact that whenever I used to visit friends in CityPlace there was literally no available parking anywhere because the residents were illegally parking in visitor spots, etc.

I'm counting 41 cars in service (or at least signed in) right now - must be close to a record ... we have 43 (4443 entered service on Thursday I believe)

Okay, 5 minutes later, I'm getting 39 ... perhaps something just left.

11 (of 17) on 512, 14 on 510, 7 on 509, and 7 on 514. Something had 8 on 5 minutes ago, before screaming child ...

Digging down, everything in service except 4405 (inside the barn), 4423 (ready to enter service), and probably 4400 (Meadowvale Conservation Area - no data for 6 hours). And 4443 just entered the barn - perhaps it just left service.

On the bright side, I hadn't counted them all since last weekend, and everything out of service right now, was in service when I looked last weekend.

Last edited:
I'm counting 41 cars in service (or at least signed in) right now - must be close to a record ... we have 43 (4443 entered service on Thursday I believe)

Okay, 5 minutes later, I'm getting 39 ... perhaps something just left.

11 (of 17) on 512, 14 on 510, 7 on 509, and 7 on 514. Something had 8 on 5 minutes ago, before screaming child ...

Digging down, everything in service except 4405 (inside the barn), 4423 (ready to enter service), and probably 4400 (Meadowvale Conservation Area - no data for 6 hours). And 4443 just entered the barn - perhaps it just left service.
No 4443 was on the 506 test run. I don't think it has entered service yet.

No 4443 was on the 506 test run. I don't think it has entered service yet.
Its northbound on Bathurst St south of St Clair for testing.

If the standard 8-10 day from receiving the car at Hillcrest to being in service, 4443 could enter service either Sunday or Monday assuming there is no issues with it. No idea since I haven't look at it until now.

4444 could be here by Friday and that will complete Aug delivery. Then we have to see if the 4 Sept cars get ship this month.

4444.JPG.c771d871d028a47e34a356e0cb846ce8.JPG

Don't think 4443 will be in service tomorrow as its is doing testing on St Clair now. Then you never know.

Have heard 512 is the most friendly route for pans with Spadina Loop ripping off a pan from a car a few weeks ago during testing.

Since this is the last weekend for 509 using poles, shot a few videos and not happy with them. Was trying out a new camera and not as good as my old one as well getting 4-8 shots of the same photo, something none of my camera have every done even in single shot. Expecting to see about 300 photos and downloaded almost 1,700.

Are there any noticeable operational differences from using the pantograph? I'm aware that dewiring doesn't happen with them, but anything in terms of the passenger experience? I seem to recall a number of years ago I heard that the trolley pole couldn't handle as much power as the pantograph, so the air conditioning and possibly the acceleration on the Flexities would be limited with poles, with their full potential unlocked by using pantographs. However, I also recall having heard more recently that that proved to be a non-issue and they operate more or less identically regardless of pole vs. pantograph.

Are there any noticeable operational differences from using the pantograph? I'm aware that dewiring doesn't happen with them, but anything in terms of the passenger experience? I seem to recall a number of years ago I heard that the trolley pole couldn't handle as much power as the pantograph, so the air conditioning and possibly the acceleration on the Flexities would be limited with poles, with their full potential unlocked by using pantographs. However, I also recall having heard more recently that that proved to be a non-issue and they operate more or less identically regardless of pole vs. pantograph.

The only possible discernible difference to a passenger would be the inability to dewire in intersections - which isn't nearly as common as it used to be anyways, and is even less so with the Flexities.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back