News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 696     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 315     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

They are installing poles to physically separate the bike lane from regular traffic on the Hwy 7 bike lanes in Markham. It is only on the WB side, between Town Centre and Rodick.

I hadn't seen that, but I'm not terribly surprised. The city decided not to add any physical separation on the basis that it could be added later. Considering how few driveways there are, hopefully most of Highway 7 (and the bike lanes west of Centre Street) will get them soon.

I hadn't seen that, but I'm not terribly surprised. The city decided not to add any physical separation on the basis that it could be added later. Considering how few driveways there are, hopefully most of Highway 7 (and the bike lanes west of Centre Street) will get them soon.
Now if only York Region could come up with some sort of consistent standard for their regional road cycling infrastructure. It varies from physically separated lanes to traditional lanes to asphalt multi-use paths to concrete paths with no signage of any kind to show that cyclists are supposed to be there. It's a bit of a mess.

For your first point,... think in term of a cyclist,..... Where do most cyclist currently cycle,.... on Yonge, Doris or Beecroft? Why???

Hardly anyone bikes on either of those, and the few people who do are pretty evenly split on all three streets.

Wow,... you really need to explore your neighbourhood more,.... try cycling around North York Centre,... Beecroft, Doris, Yonge,..... or even just walk around and watch where cyclist actually cycle,.... especially kids,... and why?

Anyways,.... here's my proof that "it's about 60 to 100 times safer to place cycling infrastructure along nearby ring roads of Beecroft & Doris" VS Yonge Street between the Sheppard Ave and Finch Ave (I responded on ReImaginingYongeStreet thread since it concerns that project more VS about Cycling Infrastructure to downtown - since NorthYorkCentre is way outside the sweetspot (1-4km) cycling distance to downtown)
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...scape-improvements.25913/page-12#post-1251574
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...scape-improvements.25913/page-12#post-1251575

Last edited:
It's probably (insert figure) safer because of volume and lane width and speed. As soon as a roadway has less volume that automatically translates into less potential conflicts between cyclists and motorists. Mind, you, safety isn't the only reason that determines where bike lanes should be placed. You want the bike lane to be used hence why many city's opt to put them on major corridors so that there is easy access to shops and stores (spur foot traffic/bike traffic to these locations). Having a bike lane on an alternate street that requires cyclists to still end up on the major corridor to access shops and services negates safety advantages (for instance).

It depends on the corridor and what type of usage it is likely to see. If most trips are expected to be pass-through trips then shifting the route to a lower volume corridor would likely yield better results, but if the route is expected to operate to serve local destinations/trips then having it closer to the action and trip generators would likely yield a better result, despite a potentially more dangerous alignment on Yonge St.

Keep in mind I'm literally just talking out loud and have no data to back-up any of these hypothetical scenarios.

That's insightful,.... I posted my response on ReImaginingYongeStreetStudy thread since the "destination"-"Community Hub" response relates more to North York Centre,...
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...scape-improvements.25913/page-12#post-1251576

Sunnyray, I understand the safety argument, but Beecroft and Doris are short little roads that exist only between Finch and Sheppard. Beyond that, where else are cyclists supposed to go other than on Yonge Street? Would you advocate for no bike lanes north of Finch too based on the same arguments?

Playing devil's advocate here, the bike lane project is only running from Avondale to Bishop/Hendon (four blocks south of Sheppard to one block north of Finch). The city doesn't have any plan to add bike lanes north of there, and there likely won't be any until the subway is extended and the bus/carpool lanes are no longer needed.

That's insightful,.... I posted my response on ReImaginingYongeStreetStudy thread since the "destination"-"Community Hub" response relates more to North York Centre,...
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...scape-improvements.25913/page-12#post-1251576

You make some good points. And they are based on engineering principles. However, we must acknowledge that those two corridors (Beecroft/Doris) have basically zero trip generators on them and that a tremendous amount of high-density residential development is centred on Yonge Street. This creates a scenario where you're naturally going to have more people (who could potentially bike or walk or drive or take transit) start or end their trips along Yonge Street. This would require good and frequent East-west connections to Yonge Street (from your proposed corridors) to provide a safe environment for these people as well. I would imagine the overall investment required for this would be substantially more than along Yonge St.

If you were to do a cost-benefits analysis between the three corridors i'd imagine you'd see positive impacts on ridership, and convenience for a Yonge St alignment, but negative impacts on cyclist safety when you compare them side-by-side. However, investments are made based on multiple factors, one of which is safety. This calls to question what is an acceptable safety standard for cycle tracks? Is it zero deaths for every 100,000 cyclists? is it five? It is virtually impossible to prevent conflicts 100% of the time, but there is a point where you can balance the expected safety risks with other factors. In my opinion I would say that cycle tracks or lanes on Yonge St could probably be designed and implemented in a way that mitigates safety risks to an acceptable level while simultaneously promoting a shift toward sustainable modes of transportation (Cycling, walking, transit) that improves the utilization of cycling facilities in the area.

how about a classic "why not both" scenario? The Doris/Beecroft MUT facilities could be for more recreational use due to their high quality and separation, and the Yonge St. lanes for more commuter and shopping use directly along yonge.

You make some good points. And they are based on engineering principles. However, we must acknowledge that those two corridors (Beecroft/Doris) have basically zero trip generators on them and that a tremendous amount of high-density residential development is centred on Yonge Street. This creates a scenario where you're naturally going to have more people (who could potentially bike or walk or drive or take transit) start or end their trips along Yonge Street. This would require good and frequent East-west connections to Yonge Street (from your proposed corridors) to provide a safe environment for these people as well. I would imagine the overall investment required for this would be substantially more than along Yonge St.

If you were to do a cost-benefits analysis between the three corridors i'd imagine you'd see positive impacts on ridership, and convenience for a Yonge St alignment, but negative impacts on cyclist safety when you compare them side-by-side. However, investments are made based on multiple factors, one of which is safety. This calls to question what is an acceptable safety standard for cycle tracks? Is it zero deaths for every 100,000 cyclists? is it five? It is virtually impossible to prevent conflicts 100% of the time, but there is a point where you can balance the expected safety risks with other factors. In my opinion I would say that cycle tracks or lanes on Yonge St could probably be designed and implemented in a way that mitigates safety risks to an acceptable level while simultaneously promoting a shift toward sustainable modes of transportation (Cycling, walking, transit) that improves the utilization of cycling facilities in the area.

BMO,... wow, once again your input is extremely insightful. I will mark your post and properly respond to it on the Yonge Street, North York Streetscape Improvements thread,.... once the alternative design for Beecroft & Doris are made public,..... right now, only the Yonge Street cycle track proposal are public,.... we need to wait for Beecroft & Doris to be able to make proper comparison,....
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...scape-improvements.25913/page-12#post-1251875

Last edited:
Sunnyray, I understand the safety argument, but Beecroft and Doris are short little roads that exist only between Finch and Sheppard. Beyond that, where else are cyclists supposed to go other than on Yonge Street? Would you advocate for no bike lanes north of Finch too based on the same arguments?

I posted my response on ReImaginingYongeStreetStudy thread since it concerns that project more VS about Cycling Infrastructure to downtown - since NorthYorkCentre is way outside the sweetspot (1-4km) cycling distance to downtown),... and cycling over 10km from North York Centre to downtown is difficult due to lack of cycling infrastructure at/near Yonge at Highway 401, steep Yonge Street hills near YorkMills/Wilson due to West Don Valley and lack of proper cycling infrastructure in midtown.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...scape-improvements.25913/page-12#post-1251866

Playing devil's advocate here, the bike lane project is only running from Avondale to Bishop/Hendon (four blocks south of Sheppard to one block north of Finch). The city doesn't have any plan to add bike lanes north of there, and there likely won't be any until the subway is extended and the bus/carpool lanes are no longer needed.

I posted my response on ReImaginingYongeStreetStudy thread to keep all posts on ReImagining Yonge Street Study together,...
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...scape-improvements.25913/page-12#post-1251869

Construction update of the Bathurst-Adelaide intersection improvements, courtesy of Robert Zaichkowski's Twitter:

DIo75PXXcAACnDT.jpg:large

Back