News   May 24, 2024
 8.8K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 483     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

4441 made it backup to St Clair again after a few hours in the service bay and heading home now. It has yet to get east of Vaughan RD

As for CP delays, its a hit and miss thing.

If 4442 was pickup on Aug 13 by CP and off loaded today, that normal service.

CNN Breaking News is old stuff to me and others, given the track record of BBD so far.

Last edited:
I think the recent delays seem to be the fault of CP rail not making them a priority for them. To them picking them up at Bombardier is out of the way and then moving it into place in Toronto is the same. They used to deliver subway cars by rail to Greenwood yard but they stopped doing that with the Toronto Rockets becuse of them being six car units insted of two car maried pairs., instd they wer shipped by truck to willsion yard.

There is actually no rail connection to Greenwood yard anymore, I don't think it would have been hard to deliver them there is there was a connection.

the rockets were not shipped as full 6 car trains. They were sent down on trucks car by car.

The route of the delivery trucks was rather unique since they had to avoid low bridges on Highway 400. I saw one on Goodwood Road in Uxbridge once. I presume they took 11 down then 169/hwy12 around to Goodwood Road and then down the 404.

4437 arrived May 29, 2017
4438 arrived June 15, 2017
4439 arrived June 22, 2017
4440 arrived July 10, 2017
4441 arrived August 03, 2017

4442 is still missing for July and 4443 & 4444 are Aug cars
Ah, I think we have to dig further back.

The schedule is:
upload_2017-8-18_11-45-10.png

4431 and 4432 arrived in February
4433 arrived in March
4434 and 4435 arrived in April (4435 was April 27 - that was the first May car - and this is what I was remembering - gosh time flies).
4436 and 4437 arrived in May (3 May cars on time)
4438 and 4439 arrived in June (2 June cars on time)
The final July car - 4442 was delivered already (as you've noted.)
But they only need 2 August cars But none yet - oops, I thought they were one.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-18_11-45-10.png
    upload_2017-8-18_11-45-10.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 411
Ah, I think we have to dig further back.

The schedule is:
View attachment 118306

4431 and 4432 arrived in February
4433 arrived in March
4434 and 4435 arrived in April (4435 was April 27 - that was the first May car - and this is what I was remembering - gosh time flies).
4436 and 4437 arrived in May (3 May cars on time)
4438 and 4439 arrived in June (2 June cars on time)
The final July car - 4442 was delivered already (as you've noted.)
But they only need 2 August cars But none yet - oops, I thought they were one.
I have being saying all alone that 4443 & 4444 are Aug cars. If CP can bring 4443 down like 4442, then Thunder Bay has till Aug 27 to ship it. Since the 27 is Sunday, it will have to be the 25. Still will only one car short for the month, not the current 2.

Looks like 4441 has finally starting its burn in. After 2 trips to St Clair tonight, it has made its first trip to Yonge and heading west, west of Vaughan at this time.

The last I saw of 4441 last night, it sat at the front for hours and was in the service bay when I left at 10 am.

Oct is going to be the tell tail month for delivery if this year schedule will be met. Then Nov or Dec can the stop delivery if the failure rate is not close to where it should be for the 60th car. We are 19 cars from that number. Look forward to Sept CEO report on failures.

I have being saying all alone that 4443 & 4444 are Aug cars. If CP can bring 4443 down like 4442, then Thunder Bay has till Aug 27 to ship it. Since the 27 is Sunday, it will have to be the 25. Still will only one car short for the month, not the current 2.

Looks like 4441 has finally starting its burn in. After 2 trips to St Clair tonight, it has made its first trip to Yonge and heading west, west of Vaughan at this time.

The last I saw of 4441 last night, it sat at the front for hours and was in the service bay when I left at 10 am.

Oct is going to be the tell tail month for delivery if this year schedule will be met.
I think the answer is that they can pretty much achieve the schedule for one assembly line. So no reason they can't ultimately do it for 2 as well.

However, the question is will the second ramp up fast enough - and I'd assume based on Bombardier warnings, is it is the second line that will be the issue.

There is actually no rail connection to Greenwood yard anymore, I don't think it would have been hard to deliver them there is there was a connection.
They eliminated well the Toronto Rockets were being delivered. It wasn't really as convenient a connection as it was thought to be especially with increased Go train Trafic on the Lakshore line.

They eliminated well the Toronto Rockets were being delivered. It wasn't really as convenient a connection as it was thought to be especially with increased Go train Trafic on the Lakshore line.
They repurposed some of the track in the yard leading to the connection. The actual connection went, when GO added the third Lakeshore track in ... 2005? 2006? Sometime around then.

I have no idea how long it going to fix 4441 major traction converter failure, but it back to zero for it. It did one test on Sat to Yonge and back to service bay where it has been and still is.

4442 is still not tracking and has a good chance seeing service before 4441.

5 days to go for 4443 & 4444 to be ship this month.

What's the problem there? The streetcars were shipped and in service by the end of the year.
In subsequent interviews, the TTC confirmed that the company shipped four mostly finished cars to Toronto, and then Bombardier workers completed them at the TTC’s Leslie Barns streetcar maintenance and storage facility.

The gambit paid off — Bombardier finished all four cars in Toronto and they went into service before the New Year as planned.

Frankly, the real news story should be why they aren't doing this for all the other streetcars if it's faster than shipping them finished (although I'm guessing they did this to avoid holiday slowdowns in Thunder Bay and on the railways).

What's the problem there? The streetcars were shipped and in service by the end of the year.

Frankly, the real news story should be why they aren't doing this for all the other streetcars if it's faster than shipping them finished (although I'm guessing they did this to avoid holiday slowdowns in Thunder Bay and on the railways).
It must be another slow news day for the GTA section so the star had to find something to publish in it.

Because contrary to the story, it did cost the TTC money. They had to allocate the employees from other tasks in order to finish the streetcars.

I'm honestly surprised that this story hit the news. They tried pretty damn hard to keep it quiet.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Because contrary to the story, it did cost the TTC money. They had to allocate the employees from other tasks in order to finish the streetcars.

What was the involvement of TTC staff in the finishing of the streetcars? Did this go beyond the standard testing? The way you phrased it makes it sound as if TTC staff were helping Bombardier to finish assembling the streetcar.

Back