News   May 06, 2024
 466     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 668     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Now we will all want this:

This decade, the mantra in real estate has been people want to live near mass transit. Now it seems people want to live with the transit.
At least that's the case in Chongqing, China, where an apartment building has been built with a train running through it.
170321115904-03-china-monorail-apartment-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

Not only does the light rail passenger train pass through the 19-story residential building, it also has a transit stop there,. So apartment residents can just go to the sixth through eighth floors to hitch a ride.

Don't tell Scarborough! (From http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/21/asia/china-train-building-trnd/ )
Hey, it's a surface subway! Cause, like, first it's on the surface, then it's under the building! Justice for Chongqing!

This decade, the mantra in real estate has been people want to live near mass transit. Now it seems people want to live with the transit.
At least that's the case in Chongqing, China, where an apartment building has been built with a train running through it.

Not only does the light rail passenger train pass through the 19-story residential building, it also has a transit stop there,. So apartment residents can just go to the sixth through eighth floors to hitch a ride.

Don't tell Scarborough! (From http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/21/asia/china-train-building-trnd/ )
I already live with transit. Bloor-Yonge Station is literally in my building's basement.

Actually look closely, it's neither subway or surface rail, it's *monorail*!
[...]At 98 km (61 mi),[3] the system's two monorail lines form the world's largest monorail network,[4] with the 55.5 km (34.5 mi) Line 3 being the world's longest single monorail line, even if the 9.97 km (6.20 mi) Jurenba branch line is excluded.[5][6] The system is also the world's busiest monorail system with 94 million and 250 million annual rides on Line 2 and 3 respectively in 2015.[7] Line 3 is the world's busiest single monorail line. The network also boosts the world's highest metro-only bridge, the Caijia Rail Transit Bridge on Line 6, spanning a valley with the bridge deck approximately 100 meters above water level.[8] The Chongqing Metro is also constructing the world's longest metro-only suspension bridge, the Egongyan Transit Bridge. The bridge will carry Line 0 trains across a 600m long main section spanning the Yangtze River. The total length of the bridge is 1,650 meters long.[9]
[...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongqing_Rail_Transit

Here's the model Scarberia needs:

Springfield Monorail | Simpsons Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia
simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Springfield_Monorail
The Springfield Monorail was a short lived solar powered transport system in Springfield. Thanks...
Images for springfield simpson monorail
upload_2017-3-29_20-53-47.jpeg
More images for springfield simpson monorail

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-29_20-53-47.jpeg
    3.3 KB · Views: 251
    5.9 KB · Views: 227
    4.4 KB · Views: 295
    3.7 KB · Views: 230
    6 KB · Views: 273

The station is called Liziba: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liziba_Station

The TTC is delusional if they think that standing on the escalators lead to less escalator-related injuries. They should really go on a field trip and stand and watch people using the escalators on any given day to see what truly happens. If they did they would see things such as: a) People standing at the base at the escalator once they are off leading to a domino effect which has a FAR greater likelihood of causing injury, and b) People standing in the middle leading reduced capacity. These are just a few examples.

The thing they dont realize is that every minute on the TTC counts as was mentioned by @Megaton327 . One minute of extra travel time on an escalator can lead to missing a train and getting on the following train that is delayed by one of the TTC's incessant delays, which is then followed up by a missed bus, which is then followed up by a 15 minute wait for the next bus which is jammed packed and travels slowly due to stop requests at every stop.

This is not the same TTC as 15-20 years ago where you could take your time and know you will get to your destination without any delays. Today you basically have to expect to be delayed by the various issues that plague the system every single day.

I wonder how well is the vibration isolation system will perform over time.
lol...I wondered about the garbage chute too, but you are right, the rumble from train wheels, unless that's a maglev system (which has it's own radiated field problems) would be a very real problem. I take it the apartments directly underneath are either for the hard-of-hearing or go for a massive price discount.

Errr...not to mention derailments...

Edit to Add: From Johnny Au's wiki link:
"It uses specialized noise reduction equipment to isolate station noise from the surrounding residences.[3][4]"

From the UK Telegraph:
"Noise reduction equipment installed at the station means the train only makes the same noise as a standard dishwasher."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-disappears-block-flats-chinas-mountain-city/

Last edited:
The TTC is delusional if they think that standing on the escalators lead to less escalator-related injuries. They should really go on a field trip and stand and watch people using the escalators on any given day to see what truly happens. If they did they would see things such as: a) People standing at the base at the escalator once they are off leading to a domino effect which has a FAR greater likelihood of causing injury, and b) People standing in the middle leading reduced capacity. These are just a few examples.

The thing they dont realize is that every minute on the TTC counts as was mentioned by @Megaton327 . One minute of extra travel time on an escalator can lead to missing a train and getting on the following train that is delayed by one of the TTC's incessant delays, which is then followed up by a missed bus, which is then followed up by a 15 minute wait for the next bus which is jammed packed and travels slowly due to stop requests at every stop.

This is not the same TTC as 15-20 years ago where you could take your time and know you will get to your destination without any delays. Today you basically have to expect to be delayed by the various issues that plague the system every single day.
Its not just the TTC though if you go anywhere in the city you won't find signs on escalators saying to stand on one side and walk on another. I say just leave it up to peeole on them to sort it out if you are in that much of a hurry take the stairs if you can find them.

What's the longest escalator on the TTC? Don Mills or Lawrence?

Anyways, I walk two steps at a time on stairs if I'm on a rush. Simply walking two steps matches running up the stairs one step at a time. Plus it's walk less exhausting. I'll be calm while the guy who ran in front of me would be taking deep breaths. I also run down escalators. So yeah, the TTC would discourage my actions.

a) People standing at the base at the escalator once they are off leading to a domino effect which has a FAR greater likelihood of causing injury,

Is this a common problem? I seriously can't recall ever witnessing this in person.

Depending on the length of the escalator, it's actually faster to have everyone on the escalator stand, than dedicating 50% of the escalator to walking. It was only several months ago that the London Underground launched a trial of having all customers stand on escalators at rush hour, to improve throughput.

What's the longest escalator on the TTC? Don Mills or Lawrence?

Could be Lawrence. Don Mills maybe if you add them cumulatively. I believe it has been said that if the Scarborough Subway Extension happens, STC will be the deepest subway platform in the system, so that would likely take over.

Could be Lawrence. Don Mills maybe if you add them cumulatively. I believe it has been said that if the Scarborough Subway Extension happens, STC will be the deepest subway platform in the system, so that would likely take over.
Some of the TYSSE stations would be deep but it doesn't mean it will have the longest escalator. The length would be determine between the platform and concourse level, not from platform to ground level.

Is this a common problem? I seriously can't recall ever witnessing this in person.

In my experience, this is a very serious problem, especially from the lower level at St George and Yonge at rush hour. Have witnessed plenty of near misses where people are still crowded at the stairs waiting their turn, and the following train rolls in and nearly brushes people at the edge of the platform.

Depending on the length of the escalator, it's actually faster to have everyone on the escalator stand, than dedicating 50% of the escalator to walking. It was only several months ago that the London Underground launched a trial of having all customers stand on escalators at rush hour, to improve throughput.

It depends how you measure 'fastest'. 'Throughput' is what matters - ie number of people exiting the stairwell per second.

TTC may be on to something here, but if they are serious about it they need a very sophisticated communications plan, and maybe even field presence. This is the stuff of fistfights. Leaving this to TTC's Twitter feed, or (heaven forbid) social media shaming is a recipe for failure. Very basic human behaviour and long term habits and mindsets are being changed here.

- Paul

Some of the TYSSE stations would be deep but it doesn't mean it will have the longest escalator. The length would be determine between the platform and concourse level, not from platform to ground level.

Caledonia at Crosstown may have one of the longer ones?

urbantoronto-7577-26303.jpg

No kidding. It drives me absolutely up the wall that TTC keep on ranting about escalator safety when they have crowded platforms, stuffed trains and other far more urgent matters that they chose to say nothing about. Guess their OHS have to look proactive and doing something.

On another note, they have moved the tidal platform arrangement for Yonge-Bloor earlier to 0730 now - I lost count the numbers of trains I have missed because of this asinine arrangement. Forget about subway extensions - they have just added a few minutes to a quarter or half the commutes with this (followed by saccharine announcements telling you to have a nice day - the one today just managed to talk over a service announcement).

Its not just the TTC though if you go anywhere in the city you won't find signs on escalators saying to stand on one side and walk on another. I say just leave it up to peeole on them to sort it out if you are in that much of a hurry take the stairs if you can find them.

And guess what - they do - a la College Station at rush where you have people standing at the top of the stairs waiting to get down because of the rush of people disembarking making it impossible to use the stairs (which BTW, is the only way to get to the platform level). Those people just missed the train - and how many minutes of commute did we just add because of that?

AoD

Last edited:
60 seconds instead of 30 seconds on an escalator matters if you miss your bus/streetcar and have to wait 5 minutes for the next one, which later short turns, and there's a 20 minute gap to the next one, which is full because of the gap never mind the crowd of people from the short turned one...or if your bus comes every 30+ minutes in the first place.

This exact kind of thinking is driving in the developing world (or New York City) is absolute chaos.

Back