Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I thought I recalled hearing that they had reached an agreement with the neighborhood association that was in opposition.. It was a few months ago though, so I'm not entirely sure.

But doesn't council have the last say??

No.

ETA: Sorry - a one-word answer is unhelpful. The minute Mizrahi filed an appeal from the City's neglect, the OMB became the approval authority. Council's decision was to instruct staff as to what position they should take at the hearing. While Council's views carry a lot of weight, the City is party to the hearing and not the decision maker.

Last edited:
I thought I recalled hearing that they had reached an agreement with the neighborhood association that was in opposition.. It was a few months ago though, so I'm not entirely sure.

I think there were a number of area residents, landowners and condo corps with concerns. I would be somewhat surprised if they were able to reach deals with all of them, although who knows given that Council came out in support. Without City backing, some opponents may have given up.

There still needs to be a hearing, given that this is a private appeal. But if all of the parties are onside, they could conceivably turn the January 16 prehearing into a one-day settlement hearing.

Today from above.
IMG_3151.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3151.JPG
    IMG_3151.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 344
The board decision regarding the January 16th pre-hearing for this application has been posted.

Two of the three issues between the developer and the various appelants have been resolved, regarding bicycle parking and construction impacts. The issue regarding laneway impacts remains however, and the groups have failed to reach a full settlement. The appeal will proceed to a full hearing on April 18th, 2017.

There was discussion of the sale of the Scotia building on another thread, where it was asserted that the owner of the building in which H&M currently resides has very little interest in selling.

The identity of the purchaser of the Scotia building was shielded by the name of a corporation that acted on behalf of the purchaser, but I of course wonder if it's related to mitigating some of the outstanding issues with this development, and I further wonder if that is related to the other behind-the-scenes news to which others have referred here.

The City should tell insane owner of the H&M site that if he holds out forever after many excellent offers, obstructing development, then he will never get permission to build anything large. Which would also destroy the current value of the property.

There are apparently a ton of owners like that - they have had these properties in their families often for decades and don't know a whole lot about commercial retail and real estate in general.

Back