News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Ridiculous comments and claims made by City Councillors

I had no idea Councillor Doucette in High Park was on the Etobicoke-York Community Council. I don't know how she makes it through meetings with her dead weight colleagues:

Doucette wanted to lower speed limits in her ward, and she was outvoted by every single one of these dead weight councillors (except Nunziata, surprisingly).

Cr6-r1uUMAAUNBo.jpg

etobicoke_york.jpg

The amalgamated City of Toronto at its worst. The east side of the Humber River being forced to genuflect before the auto-centrists from the west side of the Humber River.

Doucette needs to worry more about the traffic the scrap metal place right at the corner of Jane and Dundas causes. She should also focus more on building some kind of centre for teenagers to hang out at. Them using the Jane Dundas Library as a hang out spot has been a concern for several.

Last edited:
Doucette needs to worry more about the traffic the scrap metal place right at the corner of Jane and Dundas causes. She should also focus more on building some kind of centre for teenagers to hang out at. Them using the Jane Dundas Library as a hang out spot has been a concern for several.
Surely libraries are actually MEANT to be hung around in? No doubt kids also need a more 'active' hang-out too but ......

Since we are talking about ridiculous Councillors, Paula Fletcher had her name put on those yellow City-financed "Please Slow Down" signs in Ward 30, as if she initiated the project and paid for the signs herself. Why miss an opportunity to use City dollars to promote oneself? Please slow down and remember it was Paula who made these roads safe!

Didn't notice the same thing in Wards 26, 27, 28 or 29 (although maybe I missed it). Any other Councillors using these signs to promote themselves?

See link.

Lawn%20Sign.JPG

See link. Especially around elementary schools. But there are NIMBYs who don't want safety.

Those signs are all over my neighbourhood but do not seem to be effective. There are people still doing 50-60 km/h in 30-40km/h zones (school zones to be exact). It is like drives read the signs and see 'Please Speed Up'

Since we are talking about ridiculous Councillors, Paula Fletcher had her name put on those yellow City-financed "Please Slow Down" signs in Ward 30, as if she initiated the project and paid for the signs herself. Why miss an opportunity to use City dollars to promote oneself? Please slow down and remember it was Paula who made these roads safe!

Didn't notice the same thing in Wards 26, 27, 28 or 29 (although maybe I missed it). Any other Councillors using these signs to promote themselves?

It's possible her and other councillors put their own constituency budget towards it. In that case, it would be no different than when councillors give out Canada Day flags or magnets with their names on it.

It's possible her and other councillors put their own constituency budget towards it. In that case, it would be no different than when councillors give out Canada Day flags or magnets with their names on it.

Fair enough. Although I find the use of constituency budgets for promotional materials to also be objectionable. With these yellow slow down signs, however, given that they originated with a tragic event and convey a pretty important message, I wish Paula had exercised the same restraint many of her colleagues managed when it came to this message. Fridge magnets are one thing, but the "please slow down" message really should be above self-promotion.

There were recently large mobile signs all around Ward 30 promoting "Councillor Fletcher's Environment Day!" Given that she didn't organize it or pay for it, not sure why she's taking the credit. It's actually the residents of Ward 30 who paid for the darn thing.

ETA: This is a report for the Etobicoke York district, not the TEYCC area, but apparently the funds for the Please Slow Down signs come from the Transportation Services Budget, not Councillor office budgets.

ETA2: I should not be picking on just Fletcher. The above-mentioned report recommended that the Please Slow Down signs be distributed to the public through civic centres, Transportation Services and Councillors' offices. You know, to make them as widely and easily available as possible. When the item got to Etobicoke York Community Council, Nunziata made a successful motion that the signs only be distributed through Councillors' offices. Because God forbid we make it as convenient as possible for residents to get a sign, when the signs can be used to associate Councillors with feel good public safety campaigns. It seems that Councillor-centric approach was adopted for the rest of the City.

Last edited:
From this link.

Rail Deck Park would cost millions more than other Toronto landmarks

“Those are landmarks everyone uses and enjoys; this landmark will be specifically for the people who live downtown,” said Councillor Jim Karygiannis. “Fantastic. They need parks, but what is it going to do for my constituents and the people in Scarborough?

Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti was blunt in his assessment of the project and its cost.

“What they’re trying to do is create a glorified dog poop park in the city of Toronto. And let the rich walk their dogs.”

How many people from Scarborough will travel to Mammoliti's Ward 7 parks? How many from Long Branch will visit Karygiannis' Ward 39 parks? I'll bet more people from outside of "downtown" would visit the Rail Deck Park than Mammoliti's or Kargianis' parks in their wards.

Fair enough. Although I find the use of constituency budgets for promotional materials to also be objectionable. With these yellow slow down signs, however, given that they originated with a tragic event and convey a pretty important message, I wish Paula had exercised the same restraint many of her colleagues managed when it came to this message. Fridge magnets are one thing, but the "please slow down" message really should be above self-promotion.

There were recently large mobile signs all around Ward 30 promoting "Councillor Fletcher's Environment Day!" Given that she didn't organize it or pay for it, not sure why she's taking the credit. It's actually the residents of Ward 30 who paid for the darn thing.

ETA: This is a report for the Etobicoke York district, not the TEYCC area, but apparently the funds for the Please Slow Down signs come from the Transportation Services Budget, not Councillor office budgets.

ETA2: I should not be picking on just Fletcher. The above-mentioned report recommended that the Please Slow Down signs be distributed to the public through civic centres, Transportation Services and Councillors' offices. You know, to make them as widely and easily available as possible. When the item got to Etobicoke York Community Council, Nunziata made a successful motion that the signs only be distributed through Councillors' offices. Because God forbid we make it as convenient as possible for residents to get a sign, when the signs can be used to associate Councillors with feel good public safety campaigns. It seems that Councillor-centric approach was adopted for the rest of the City.
Sandra Bussin used to sponsor a "Bussin's Blue Jays" youth baseball team using tax dollars.

Back