Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Also, how the heck haven't they relegated food to the lower concourse? Did we learn anything from the old Bay concourse? McDonald's line-ups drove me crazy.

I would suspect, again, the market is speaking.....food to go options are not likely interested in the lower level....they would want to be in the area where they are visible, and directly accessible to, Union's greatest asset (from a retail perspective)...... the thousands of people flowing through there every day with a few minutes before (or after) their train ride to make a purchase. They are, likely, not expressing much interest in being out of sight (...out of mind?) or that bit less convenient to the point people fret over looking for them/going to them and chancing missing that train.

The lower level will also have plenty of traffic -- the subway and PATH will feed directly into it, so the majority of foot traffic through Union will be flowing past the downstairs retail.

The lower level will also have plenty of traffic -- the subway and PATH will feed directly into it, so the majority of foot traffic through Union will be flowing past the downstairs retail.
well, when that happens, they may find food retailers willing to locate there

It's not even cheesecake. At best it's a cream cheese flavoured soufflé.

That is Japanese cheesecake. It's a light whipped concoction.

It doesn't matter. There isn't going to be a big line for this place with its $10 (!) serving price.

It doesn't matter. There isn't going to be a big line for this place with its $10 (!) serving price.
As there were - and sometimes still are - huge lines for their first location at Bay/Dundas I am not so sure. It certainly is not a 'regular' cheesecake but then it's not supposed to be.

This was a fad much like the urban cafes of the 90s with the leather couches and coffee tables. I doubt Uncle Tetsus will fare well in Union Station. It was a novelty and as with all novelties it will wear off.

I give it a few months before they realise nobody will pay 10 dollars for cheesecake.

This was a fad much like the urban cafes of the 90s with the leather couches and coffee tables. I doubt Uncle Tetsus will fare well in Union Station. It was a novelty and as with all novelties it will wear off.

I give it a few months before they realise nobody will pay 10 dollars for cheesecake.

When someone else will sell cheesecake for nine dollars.

$10 for mostly air. In any case, you can get a far better deal for the same at some Asian bakeries (they have been selling it for years prior) - and honestly, having tried Uncle Tetsu I wasn't all that impressed by it. I am surprised T&T didn't have it at theirs.

I see it going the way of KrispyKreme - a niche food product that can support maybe one store - and I can't see it being Union Station given what is likely exorbitant rent.

AoD

It has been a few months and every time I go past the shop at Dundas there are still people in line, and you can spot many carrying the bags around downtown.

$10 for mostly air. In any case, you can get a far better deal for the same at some Asian bakeries (they have been selling it for years prior) - and honestly, having tried Uncle Tetsu I wasn't all that impressed by it. I am surprised T&T didn't have it at theirs.

I see it going the way of KrispyKreme - a niche food product that can support maybe one store - and I can't see it being Union Station given what is likely exorbitant rent.

AoD
Two types of businesses can pay for high rent places......extremely high volume places.....or extremely high margin places with lower volumes.....I have no knowledge of Tetsu's operations but when i see "$10 for mostly air"...that sounds like high margin to me.

Two types of businesses can pay for high rent places......extremely high volume places.....or extremely high margin places with lower volumes.....I have no knowledge of Tetsu's operations but when i see "$10 for mostly air"...that sounds like high margin to me.

Yeah, but that would make it super sensitive to volume - I don't think they will keep on selling enough (and it is a one-trick pony). We shall see if it lasts. Given they likely don't do any baking on site, it is an outlet that cannot remain as a standalone.

AoD

I've been walking past Uncle Tetsu the past week and each time it has had ZERO line-up.
I don't think there will be line-ups here like at Dundas- if their clientele are commuters, well, GO trains run according to schedules. Nobody's going to want to wait in line to the point where they'll miss their train.

Also:

*NEWSFLASH*
McCafe closed for renovations (yes, already).
Not sure of the extent, but it looked like they're removing the seating on the north end? It was pretty pointless considering there is ample seating in the GO concourse anyways. Not sure what might replace it.

Back