Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Well, if it turns out anything like the one going up in Vancouver right now, it should be a pretty decent tower.

Vancouverite, SSC
shangrilaconstructionwent1.jpg

Skymaster, SSC
1583206233_0f5e502a96_o.jpg

Colemonkey, SSC
ritz200710051at3.jpg

I think the shape of Vancouver's is more interesting, but both Vancouver's and Toronto's make almost all of their impact because of height in my opinion. Dont get me wrong, very nice buildings, but not anything especially eye-catching about them that should lead to all the hype surrounding them. I do understand that a good deal of that hype surrounds the reputation and corporate name involved...

Redroom, you should be pleasantly surprised by the east face when Shangri-La is finished: its creases should make for unique and very interesting light reflections.

wow the archeaology seems really cool.. I wish they could somehow save it and encorporate it in the new building

I would assume they will save most of the bricks they'll be digging up. Some may be useful once the old block on the corner is rebuilt - they may lose some of its bricks in the dismantling process.

I like the mullion-free windows commonly used on Vancouver condos. Creates a nicer glass wall than what we often get.

I think the shape of Vancouver's is more interesting, but both Vancouver's and Toronto's make almost all of their impact because of height in my opinion. Dont get me wrong, very nice buildings, but not anything especially eye-catching about them that should lead to all the hype surrounding them. I do understand that a good deal of that hype surrounds the reputation and corporate name involved...

The hype is not just based on rendering of the towers. The competition between high-end hotels is certainly generating a lot of press. It is also a significant boost to the local economy from both the construction and the hotel perspective once it is complete.

I think mullion-free windows are becoming pretty normal around the world but for some reason, toronto developers don't want to shell out the money for them.

I like the mullion-free windows commonly used on Vancouver condos. Creates a nicer glass wall than what we often get.

In Vancouver, they are only commonly used on high end condos (One Wall Centre, Shangri-La and the some of the Coal Harbour condos). You wouldn't find the mullion-free panes on ordinary condos - certainly not in Downtown South or on the Concord Lands (not yet anyways).

I have no doubt that Shangri la Toronto will kick the Vancouver one's butt.. ^^ I do like it though.. nice, simple and elegant... except for those horrid square pimples ... holographic or not, they scream out for Clear-the-sill.

I have no doubt that Shangri la Toronto will kick the Vancouver one's butt.

well.... The penthouse of the Vancouver Shangri-la has a private rooftop pool, AND hot-tub..... that give vancouver points! Toronto's is pretty awesome though.

I'd rather live in Toronto than Vancouver, other than that The designs are both pretty swell.

Does the restoration/facadectomy of Bishop's Block apppear to be underway, as in that last set of photos? If so I guess we will start seeing excavation quite soon.

Doesn anybody know what Bishop's Block will be used for when restored? Wasn't it originally a tavern or inn?

Back