Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

IIRC those helicopter pads in LA are mandated by the city. Something to do with earthquakes and getting people out of damaged towers easily.

^^ interesting.

I just figured it was because there a billion helicopters flying around LA all the time dragging a banner or trying to spot the next car chase for the local news. Ever been to LA? There are so many helicopters in the air, it is unreal (and not in a good way).

Isn't Toronto's airspace quite heavily restricted for private craft? I remember reading that some time ago.

If you really want to see helicopters, try living in Washington for a while.

Summer Palace, Shang Palace ??

I wonder what type, class and number of restaurants this Shangri-la will house especially in a condo-hotel type of development. The ones in Asia are very classy, luxurious and top notch. They are also famous for their buffet which beats anything TO has to offer. In terms of fine dining Chinese restaurants in TO, King's Garden (??) on King West has closed and the quality of food at Lai Wah Heen has deteriorated over time. I am hoping Shangri-La TO will give them a run for their money (if they open a similar offering).

The historic escavation continues. Not much is happening on the site otherwise (the rest of the site is still being used as parking).

I wonder what type, class and number of restaurants this Shangri-la will house especially in a condo-hotel type of development. The ones in Asia are very classy, luxurious and top notch. They are also famous for their buffet which beats anything TO has to offer. In terms of fine dining Chinese restaurants in TO, King's Garden (??) on King West has closed and the quality of food at Lai Wah Heen has deteriorated over time. I am hoping Shangri-La TO will give them a run for their money (if they open a similar offering).

There's also Szechuan Szechuan nearby in FCP.

^^ you mean to tell me that the ones on Spadina open late night after the bar for "cold tea" aren't fine dining establishments. I kid.

But seriously, if you're ever going for late-night dirty chinese food on Spadina just south of college follow these words: Red sign bad, green sign good. Never eat at red sign even if the line at green sign is 100 people long.

Back on topic, I'm more concerned that the area around Shangri-la doesn't fit the upper-class auro of the guests in the hotel. Perhaps the whole area will transform to be more up-scale. Sort of like an asian Yorkville?

Back on topic, I'm more concerned that the area around Shangri-la doesn't fit the upper-class auro of the guests in the hotel. Perhaps the whole area will transform to be more up-scale. Sort of like an asian Yorkville?

I don't see why, as it's pretty distant from any Asian neighbourhoods. The hotel is surrounded by the CBD, the new opera house and two other hotels, a couple of older condos, and whatever restaurants or businesses are leasing the spaces left vacant by bars and clubs on moving west on Adelaide. More or less the same neighbourhood as Trump.

Rezboy, thanks for the tip about King's Garden.They were good, and LWH is a little too formal for casual dinning. So, what's the best Chinese restaurant in the downtown area which also serves BBQ duck? I can't bring myself to eat at FCP on a Saturday night for some reason.

From Oct 2-07
More adds on University

1684116364_5791d29f50_b.jpg

1683243591_15431f6526_b.jpg

1683251683_530ef11df0_b.jpg

1684190220_6e0e5d7edd_b.jpg

1684183916_bbcdc983a9_b.jpg

The archaeology is really quite interesting, but I am still impatient for the new construction to get started. This lot has always been like a blight on the lower section of University Ave. and it will be great to see it filled in. I am still not really sold on all the hype surrounding Shangri-La though... seems like a fairly standard glass tower to me, not likely that I'll ever get to appreciate any of the ammenities inside. Obviously it has significant height and it helps to push the skyline west, some big positives. Now if they can just hurry up and find the buried treasure...

Back