News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 588     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC Cartography, Signage, and Wayfinding

Showing people the new map, two questions immediately asked were what happened to Bathurst and Dufferin stations...

Clearly this map isn't as effective a navigation tool as it could be.

Fair enough - could do a bit of both ... simply by pushing the western end of Line 5 eastward!

Attempting to satisfy everyone's aesthetic preferences is about at futile as seeking a consensus on what type of transit Scarborough should get :).

They'd never renumber the lines - that would just be confusing.

If Line 3 is gone (the rate they are going, who knows ...) I'd assume that it would just be not used. Like Montreal - or like Terminal 2 at Pearson.

Though if we DO build a DRL subway, and Line 3 is unused - it's an excellent choice. That way Line 1 through 4 are subways and Line 5 to 7 (and more?) are LRT.

I've asked, and if I recall correct, that was the response - that line 3 would be saved and used for a DRL.

With the system fully built, it looks something like this.
WihlGIs.png

We're not really going to have multiple Kiplings, Royal Yorks and Islingtons, though, are we?

We're not really going to have multiple Kiplings, Royal Yorks and Islingtons, though, are we?

Not with Metrolinx running the show. At some point we better start getting familiar with Westmount, Richview, Princess Gardens, Beaumonde Heights, Smithfield, Mt Olive, or whatever other weird names Metrolinx might come up with.

Not with Metrolinx running the show. At some point we better start getting familiar with Westmount, Richview, Princess Gardens, Beaumonde Heights, Smithfield, Mt Olive, or whatever other weird names Metrolinx might come up with.
It's not just Metrolinx. The TTC report clearly says that:

A primary TTC concern was to avoid replication and redundancy with existing TTC station names.

Why can't this be solved with a "Kipling North", "Islington North", etc. ?
There's no real precedent for it ... not being any streets called Kipling North or Islington North. Though they are now trying to avoid creating confusion like that. If they were to start again today, I'd think Dundas West would be Roncesvalles, St. Clair West would be Cedarvale, etc. Ironic then that we are renaming Downsview to Sheppard West.

This thread was originally about EXISTING TTC signage/maps etc. There is another thread on "Fantasy" where this discussion about future maps etc might fit better. See

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/transit-fantasy-maps.3005/page-279
The recent discussion is about the new subway map that TTC has released, that only includes the stations and stops currently under construction. This is work done by the TTC's cartography department. I don't see how it would be on-topic at all in a fantasy thread.

Interesting article on
What's the meaning behind TTC route numbers?
in blogTO, at this link.

1-9 - Subway and LRT routes
10-139 - Regular bus routes, assigned willy-nilly
140-159 - Premium express services
160-189 - Regular bus routes, assigned willy-nilly (180-189 may be new "Rocket" routes)
190-199 - Regular fare "Rocket" express routes
200-299 - Routes that primarily serve areas outside the City of Toronto
300-399 - Night services
400-499 - Accessible Community Bus services
500-599 - Streetcar routes.

From a design standpoint, why is the corner radius for Ellesmere to Midland so different from Sheppard West and Finch West? They should be consistent.

Why is Union showed as a big U rather than a round-cornered rectangle as it has been traditionally represented? The distances between King and Union and St. Andrew are completely distorted in this design, and again, the corner radius is inconsistent with the other turns.

We should take a cue from the London map when it comes to accessible stations. We have a stroked black circle filled with a light blue with a superimposed white wheelchair. It's a bit hard to see. London uses a solid dark blue disc with a white wheelchair. It is easier to see and complements the non-accessible disc that mirrors ours.

And I know this isn't the map designer's fault, but why can't somebody overrule Vaughan and stop them from embarrassing themselves with the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre name. Just call it Vaughan Centre. This is a subway map, not a city council presentation promoting the future of their city.

Back