Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

No idea how UP Express only takes marginally less time than taking the TTC from Union considering the estimated time to take the TTC to the airport from Yonge-Bloor is 45 minutes which is already 10 minutes more than UP not to mention the extra 10 it requires to get to the Bloor line and transfer time. I'm skeptical.
As am I. I used to take the Milton GO train to Pearson - changing at Kipling to the 192. The one time I just missed the train (ran up to the platform to see it vanishing in the distance). As it was 35 minutes to the next GO Train, I figured I might as well go take the subway. That next GO Train passed us while we were parked (as usual) between Islington and Kipling). So the GO Train alone to Kipling is over 35 minutes faster than the subway (keeping in mind how the subway often runs in rush hour!).

From Bay/Yonge to Pearson at the current time it indicates that walking plus UP to Pearson is 31 minutes compared to 67 minutes taking the subway to Kipling and the 192.

But wait ... and this is interesting. It says it's only 45 minutes to take the subway to Yorkdale and that new non-stop GO Bus from Yorkdale to Pearson. Ah, now that's interesting ... but a shame it only runs once an hour, as it's only 15 minutes from Yorkdale to Pearson. Though if you can time it well, it's a good option for anyone near Bloor/Yonge or up towards the Spadina subway line.

So for the BOGO offer, I'm a bit confused. It looks like you can't buy it at an intermediate station like Bloor. Also is it only for two trips in the same direction? Or can one use it for there and back?

No idea how UP Express only takes marginally less time than taking the TTC from Union considering the estimated time to take the TTC to the airport from Yonge-Bloor is 45 minutes which is already 10 minutes more than UP not to mention the extra 10 it requires to get to the Bloor line and transfer time. I'm skeptical.

Not to mention that anyone who ever drives or takes transit/cabs on the 427 northbound to the airport knows that at many times of day, getting from Kipling Station to Pearson will take upwards of 30 minutes, often even 45.

But wait ... and this is interesting. It says it's only 45 minutes to take the subway to Yorkdale and that new non-stop GO Bus from Yorkdale to Pearson. Ah, now that's interesting ... but a shame it only runs once an hour, as it's only 15 minutes from Yorkdale to Pearson. Though if you can time it well, it's a good option for anyone near Bloor/Yonge or up towards the Spadina subway line.

Similarly, I don't believe that schedule very much at all--the 401 westbound from there is usually a total parking lot. It's not that short of a trip to the 409--in bumper-to-bumper traffic I'd estimate it taking anywhere from 45 minutes-1 hour to get to Pearson from Yorkdale, and on that stretch it's bumper-to-bumper most times of most days.

Let me clarify. When taking TTC I start from Queen station, right beside my apartment. Taking UPX I need to walk 15 minutes to the terminal as I don't have a metropass and don't want to spend $3 more just for two short stops (and need to walk for a few minutes after as well).

In reality it barely saves me 10 minutes and requires a lot more walking. But as I said it is less hassle once you are in the train.

Not to mention that anyone who ever drives or takes transit/cabs on the 427 northbound to the airport knows that at many times of day, getting from Kipling Station to Pearson will take upwards of 30 minutes, often even 45.

I don't know! I travel about three times a year and I can always get to the terminal in under 75 minutes. The fastest time was just about an hour when everything went smooth.

Have you ever actually taken this route? I've never had this trip take even 30 minutes...usually it's 20 minutes or less. My most recent flight was out of Pearson at 7:30pm. I left work (Bay/Wellesley) at 5pm and was at the airport before 6pm taking the TTC. The 427 northbound rarely has traffic. Check Google Traffic at 5:30pm tonight (which should be the busiest time), and there likely won't be any traffic.

Let me clarify. When taking TTC I start from Queen station, right beside my apartment. Taking UPX I need to walk 15 minutes to the terminal as I don't have a metropass and don't want to spend $3 more just for two short stops (and need to walk for a few minutes after as well).

In reality it barely saves me 10 minutes and requires a lot more walking. But as I said it is less hassle once you are in the train.

Amazing how people will frame their analysis to suit their bias.

First there would never be an express bus taking you to Pearson for $8, sorry not going to happen. Pacific Western ran a bus as mentioned and the cost was up in the $25 range. Furthermore said service would not stop at your front door, more likely would be a pick up at either union station or the bus terminal at Bay and Dundas, therefore there would still be a 15 +/- minute walk or a $3 subway ride to the pick up point of this hypothetical service. Now add that to the travel time in the bus to the airport (likely 35+ minutes). Tell me again how this scenario saves you time/money?

Second I find it hard to believe the majority of downtown residents don't own a metropass, even presto is starting to gain traction.

Third 75 minutes (from you subsequent post) vs 25 minutes + time to get to UPX station. That's a 50 minute spread!!! So it might take a bit of travel to get to Union, however I would imagine that if you can get to Union in 30 minutes or less would find UPX convinient.

Reactions: rbt

ah ok, fair enough if you add walking time to it.

Amazing how people will frame their analysis to suit their bias.

First there would never be an express bus taking you to Pearson for $8, sorry not going to happen. Pacific Western ran a bus as mentioned and the cost was up in the $25 range. Furthermore said service would not stop at your front door, more likely would be a pick up at either union station or the bus terminal at Bay and Dundas, therefore there would still be a 15 +/- minute walk or a $3 subway ride to the pick up point of this hypothetical service. Now add that to the travel time in the bus to the airport (likely 35+ minutes). Tell me again how this scenario saves you time/money?

Second I find it hard to believe the majority of downtown residents don't own a metropass, even presto is starting to gain traction.

Third 75 minutes (from you subsequent post) vs 25 minutes + time to get to UPX station. That's a 50 minute spread!!! So it might take a bit of travel to get to Union, however I would imagine that if you can get to Union in 30 minutes or less would find UPX convinient.

The ~$25 Airport Express may've gotten an unfair rap though, because we don't know its funding/subsidy structure (or if it even had one at all). If we knew for certain that the Prov offered a similar per-rider subsidy to the bus route as they're giving to UPX, perhaps the fare would in fact be $8. Maybe it would've been a dollar. So do we know how much it was subsidized, and who was doing the subsidization?

How often have you had the 192 take 45 minutes? I've never been on one that slow. I think my worst is about 30 minutes - and that was southbound around 6 pm. I've found it FASTER than that in northbound PM rush hour. I'm sure when there's a 427 closure or something it is hell ... but so is evertything.

What time of day have you generally been seeing 45-minute trips on the 192?

Similarly, I don't believe that schedule very much at all--the 401 westbound from there is usually a total parking lot. It's not that short of a trip to the 409--in bumper-to-bumper traffic I'd estimate it taking anywhere from 45 minutes-1 hour to get to Pearson from Yorkdale, and on that stretch it's bumper-to-bumper most times of most days.
An hour from Pearson to Yorkdale!?! I'd be very surprised.

Unlike TTC, GO is very good at adjusting run-time every few weeks, run-by-run instead of in 4-6 hour blocks every few decades. It's 15-minutes off-peak, but as long as 30-minutes peak at 7:50 AM departing YYZ (though that's the only 30 minute run I see - the 7:20 and 8:50 departures are both 25 minutes and by 9:50 it's 15 minutes. Westbound it's all 15-minutes through AM peak and does stretch out to to 25 minutes at PM peak.

It's only about 16 km from Pearson to Yorkdale Road on 409/401. What time of day are you seeing that take 60 minutes to drive? Right now Google Maps says it's a 15-minute drive, but 13 minutes without traffic

I live in the west end and commute in and don't even bother with a Metropass.. I bike 3-4 days a week..

Metropasses really make sense for suburban commuters more than anyone.

Have you ever actually taken this route? I've never had this trip take even 30 minutes...usually it's 20 minutes or less. My most recent flight was out of Pearson at 7:30pm. I left work (Bay/Wellesley) at 5pm and was at the airport before 6pm taking the TTC. The 427 northbound rarely has traffic. Check Google Traffic at 5:30pm tonight (which should be the busiest time), and there likely won't be any traffic.
Until the snow starts, I drive on the 427 Northbound just about every work day.....seldom at 5:30 so can't directly dispute there is no traffic at that time....I typically leave the office about 6:30 or 7 and I can assure you there is traffic on the 427 northbound when I get there sometime between 6:50 and 7:20.....and any moisture (rain or snow) and it gets jammed pretty quick (more easily than most of the roads I drive on....think it has something to do with a lot of merges/splits in a fairly short distance between the Gardiner and 401).

Not a direct relationship between this post and the topic thread but statements like "427 northbound rarely has traffic" are just absurd. I do think the buses do better on the trip than cars.

Just as GO buses on highways do, TTC drivers seem to be able to speed at will without any fear of tickets and that combined with the big yield sign* painted on the bus allows them to make the trip faster than most cars can.....but they do deal with traffic

*Another venture off topic.....but I must say that when the idea came up to paint theses signs on buses I was very doubtful that it would have any effect.....but I think the drivers of Ontario deserve a bit of credit for the way they generally respect these ....and buses do seem to be able to make lane changes much easier.

Last edited:
So another less talked about (and likely because it has likely a limited audience) thing that UP gives us is the abilty to more easily mix and match flights.

Had to go to Montreal yesterday and back mid-day today.....both trips originating from my office. When I booked my travel last week, the best flight combo for me (weighing departure times and cost in a secret algorithm) was a flight out of the YTZ yesterday but a return to Pearson today.

Yesterday I left the office at 12:50 and was at YTZ at 1.......if Air Canada had not cancelled my flight I would have been in Montreal 3:30...so office to YUL in 2:40.....today I was on a noon flight and was in my office at 1:45...adding in the hour I was at YUL to balance it out...total comparable trip is 2:45. Again, really only applies to Toronto - Montreal and really only for Air Canada passengers (although sites like Expedia you can book a Porter outbound and Air Canada inbound).....but it is nice.

I did try this once before UP and used the TTC on the Pearson trip but, as I said before, my experiences with the subway/rocket trip has never been as advertised (certainly not as bad as some people are saying but also not the "advertised" timing.

Printed the coupon. Thx for that -- I'll be able to use it on my January exodus from the island with my daughter. Good that they're ramping up the marketing a little.

APTA -- Do you normally GO to Union for work? Does that mean you already had a Presto card? I ask because people that already Presto would seem to be a natural customer base, and I wonder if there's an easy way to advertise to them (obvious ones would be at Union and on the trains, I assume, as well as the Presto website.)
Yes I use GO to Union for work (and to Yorkdale for school) so I have a Presto card. I agree this kind of trip to Pearson isn't advertised as well, but I've seen more than a few occasions people with luggage boarding at Rouge Hill too. I also make it a point to recommend this journey to people I know.

Back