News   May 06, 2024
 274     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 714     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

Yes, but the other bidder was Siemens, which was not only much, much more expensive, but had to rebuild 400 trams a few years back because they were defective. Let's not pretend Bombardier is the only manufacturer that had problems. The USA is littered with lousy trams.

Siemens was 50% more, because of the legacy specifications of Toronto's streetcar network. The Transit City light rail vehicles don't have those restrictions, however, the Freedom and Outlook models do have interchangeable parts.

I was just wondering if anyone had any insider knowledge on the status of the Freedom LFLRV's? There was an article a month or two ago saying that they had started some procurement of minor parts for the first few trains. Do you think they'll build 1 train first for Metrolinx, or would the first 14 trains be the ones for the Waterloo (ion) order? I keep asking Bombardier on Twitter every couple of weeks but they don't reply. :(

I was just wondering if anyone had any insider knowledge on the status of the Freedom LFLRV's? There was an article a month or two ago saying that they had started some procurement of minor parts for the first few trains. Do you think they'll build 1 train first for Metrolinx, or would the first 14 trains be the ones for the Waterloo (ion) order? I keep asking Bombardier on Twitter every couple of weeks but they don't reply. :(
What every ION gets will be the same as Crosstown. Crosstown cars will have the changes found on ION during testing and operation.

What every ION gets will be the same as Crosstown. Crosstown cars will have the changes found on ION during testing and operation.

Oh yeah, I know - but I thought I'd read somewhere that Metrolinx wanted at least one set early to do their own internal testing (where, I don't know) separate from their own huge order for the Crosstown or for ion. I assumed they'd build ion's 14 trains all in a row and then start the Crosstown fulfillment since it's still many years away. So I was just wondering if Freedom train 1 would be for Toronto, 2-15 would be Waterloo, 16-... would be for Toronto, or will 1-14 be for Waterloo, and 15-... for Toronto.

Not that it really matters - I'm more just curious how the build out is going on the first (few?) trains since they should be really on their way now.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are photos out this morning of 4412 on flatcar and ready to depart Thunder Bay.

- Paul

Without any article or evidence behind that tweet/statement, I wouldn't put any value in it. I could just as easily tweet that the trains are ahead of schedule.

The first train is for Waterloo Region, anyway - what does Toronto care? Crosstown doesn't open until what, 2020?

The first train is for Waterloo Region, anyway - what does Toronto care? Crosstown doesn't open until what, 2020?
September 2021 I think is the current deadline.

There's a bit more on their website, including a quote from Metrolinx - but it doesn't really say anything ... and doesn't even say it's behind schedule. Something was said, but it's terrible news reporting.

Back