News   May 03, 2024
 561     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 352     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 196     0 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

Shocking a flat fare ruled out across the GTHA? You mean a trip between Hamilton and Oshawa shouldn't cost the same as a local trip on the subway? Hope those consultants made a bundle.

Steve Munro is not impressed with Metrolinx and their recent reports on fare integration.

http://stevemunro.ca/2015/10/21/metrolinx-fare-integration-backgrounders/

Serious question - when is the last time Steve Munro was impressed by anyone doing anything transit-related?
He's a smart guy and I'm happy he's asking these questions but, jeeze...

Shocking a flat fare ruled out across the GTHA? You mean a trip between Hamilton and Oshawa shouldn't cost the same as a local trip on the subway? Hope those consultants made a bundle.

Pretty obviously, there's more to the report than that so I don't see much point pouncing on the headline and criticizing.
And since TTC policy is to charge me the same flat fare for me to ride the subway from Finch to North York Centre or to ride from Scarborough to Etobicoke, it's not immediately clear why your example is any more far-fetched or hypothetical.

That's why a good consultant has to investigate and explain why the model is unsustainable and then suggest others.

Fare integration is a tricky business, that's for sure. IMO, the option that I prefer is this:

Fare zones that are approximately 6km x 6km, radiating out from Downtown Toronto. The fare map would basically end up looking like a checkerboard pattern. There would be 3 payment options:

1) Single Ride Ticket: Pay in cash or with debit/credit at any station, with the number of zones to be travelled clearly printed on the ticket. Enforcement would be POP on all agencies.

2) Presto Card: Tap on when you board, tap off when you finish your trip. If you fail to tap off at the end of your trip, you're charged the maximum fare for that line (GO's currently policy). If your trip ends on a rapid transit line, you can be eligible for a further discount if you tap off on the near side of the zone you just entered. For example: if the fare boundary is between Jane & Old Mill, and you get off at Old Mill, you wouldn't be charged for the full extra fare zone, since you barely crossed into it. Obviously this would be more difficult to enforce with buses, since there's no tap off.

3) Presto Mobile App: Basically the same as the Presto Card, only stations and vehicles would be equipped with iBeacons (or similar technology) that would sense when you've entered the vehicle or station, would prompt you to select your fare payment method (ePurse, ApplePay, GooglePay, etc). When you exit the vehicle or station, you would be prompted again if this is the end of your trip. If yes, the fare would be calculated and deducted from whatever payment method you chose. You could also program favourite trips, so that if you get on at a certain location and off at another certain location, it would automatically know that your trip is completed.

Serious question - when is the last time Steve Munro was impressed by anyone doing anything transit-related?
He's a smart guy and I'm happy he's asking these questions but, jeeze...
Pretty obviously, there's more to the report than that so I don't see much point pouncing on the headline and criticizing.
And since TTC policy is to charge me the same flat fare for me to ride the subway from Finch to North York Centre or to ride from Scarborough to Etobicoke, it's not immediately clear why your example is any more far-fetched or hypothetical.
Actually, I read the original report and Steve Munro's analysis. This was a pretty poorly executed consultant's report. They didn't really engage with the issue seriously enough or deep enough. Basically they ran a bunch of far-fetched scenarios through an introductory undergraduate demand model for elasticity. They didn't engage with actual costs & experiences of either individual consumers of transit or the budget impacts on individual transit agencies.

Prediction time:

Metrolinx insists that fare integration must be revenue neutral, and transit operators have made it clear that they won't absorb the costs of fare integration. For political reasons, customers must not have an increase to their fares. This means that the changes from the current fare system will either be minimal, or GO Transit will be forced to absorb the costs of integration.

It must be acknowledged that the City of Toronto will not accept diving the City into fare zones or any fare by distance. Anything that has suburban users paying more than users in the core is a political non starter. Metrolinx will have to work around this.

Scenario 1: Minimal Changes

We maintain the zone based structure we have currently (pictured below). Local transit operators will set the fares. GO Transit will be fare-by-distance. There might be a discount for transferring between GO and a local operator, with GO (Metrolinx) subsidizing the discount. There will be free, timed transfer within the zones (IIRC, this will only affect the TTC, since they're the only ones without time based transfers). This is essentially the same fare structure we have today.

fare_integration_map-583x357.jpg

Scenario 2: Zone based system

We'll most likely be going with a zone based system. I'd expect the zones to look a lot like the current fare zone system (above), perhaps with Burlington and Oakville being merged into a single zone (with a small provincial subsidy to offset the revenue losses). The price to travel through each zone will be negotiated between the transit operators in the zone and Metrolinx; though I'd expect that operators would have the freedom to set prices at whatever they please, as long as it won't have a significant detrimental effect on GO.

GO Transit (operated by Metrolinx) will adhere to these fare zones, and they (Metrolinx) will be the ones absorbing any costs of fare integration. GO would be a premium service, thus all trips on GO will be subject to a surcharge (perhaps around $3). The purpose of this is to offset GO's losses due to fare integration. Time based transfers would be rolled out across the region.

For revenue sharing:
  • Local operators get 100% of the revenue from any zones they serviced on this trip
  • GO Transit gets 100% of premium service surcharge
  • GO Transit gets 100% of revenue from zones that only they serviced (and 0% from a zone that a local operator also serviced)

The obvious negative to this is that GO (Metrolinx) will be taking a huge financial hit to subsidize this. But because transit operators are will not absorb the costs of integration, GO is the one that will have to do it. The premium surcharge would have to be adjusted to offset revenue losses for GO. The surcharge could be variable, depending on how many zones a customer passes through.

All trips within 416 boundaries should be flat rate. The outskirts of Toronto are generally where the people who need transit the most and can least afford it live.

The first thing they should do is get rid of some of the transit agencies itself. Have only 6 systems.......Ham/Hal/Peel/Tor/YK/Dur and have flat fares within those municipalities.

The first thing they should do is get rid of some of the transit agencies itself. Have only 6 systems.......Ham/Hal/Peel/Tor/YK/Dur and have flat fares within those municipalities.
It could be worse. Part of what took the SF Bay Area so long to get a smart card was the zoo of transit agencies. Presently 13 agencies support it in an area similar in size to the GTHA. Off the top of my head, there's another 7 or 8 that don't yet support it. Way too many agencies. Next to no fare integration. In terms of fares, they just discontinued the Caltrain (South Bay) + SF MUNI monthly pass. BART, which has no monthly passes, even won't mingle its "E-purse" with the other agencies. They gave a discount for a high-value load and then make money off the float.

Basically, fare integration pretty much already exists outside of Toronto.

Ideally, I want the exact same thing with Toronto.
But, I can't see that really happening.

First, TTC needs to switch to time-based transfers throughout their system.
Second, it needs to remain flat fare based for the entire TTC system.

The double fare needs to go though. I would support a minor co-fare when transferring to TTC though.

Basically, fare integration pretty much already exists outside of Toronto.

Ideally, I want the exact same thing with Toronto.
But, I can't see that really happening.

First, TTC needs to switch to time-based transfers throughout their system.
Second, it needs to remain flat fare based for the entire TTC system.

The double fare needs to go though. I would support a minor co-fare when transferring to TTC though.

I assume you're referring to the Regional routes that service GO lines for somewhere around $0.75?

I agree it's a great policy and I know based on experience it has really helped people shift onto GO Transit in certain areas.

Back