News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 679     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 308     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Had a fun Presto failure this morning. I tapped in at Union, and it gave me a big red declined and the turnstile wouldn't move. I found this weird, because my card is set to auto-load at $20.

I walked over to GO customer service and it showed me having $40 or so on the card, and that my last action was a successful tap in at Union subway station. GO basically told me "not their problem, talk to TTC".

I talked to the TTC attendant, which I should have done in the first place, and he let me through.

Yes, but they are in an awkward location -- left side of the front door on a pole. I actually only noticed on my way out of the streetcar

On every other transit agency I've used, it's installed on the right side of the door. I have no idea why they put it on the left. They probably didnt give it too much thought.

Has anyone started seeing readers on the old streetcars? Only 3 months left

I saw one on an ALRV months ago, but it was not in operation.

EDIT: the presto machine that is, the streetcar was in service. I took a pic, however it might have been on my old phone.

I've seen several today alone. They seem to be installing them on mass. I've ridden 4100 (twice), 4119, 4054, 4171, this week with them and spotted them on 4131 and 4106. And others through the window that I haven't spotted or remembered the car number.

It will be amazing not to have to rely on the infrequently-appearing new streetcars to use my Presto card. I refuse to buy tickets or tokens (it's 2015).

I saw a new reader installed on a 504 streetcar. It was placed in the middle of the pole between the rear doors, facing outwards. Meaning if you enter from the rear doors, the reader would be facing you to facilitate tapping on. However, if Metrolinx/TTC implement a tap on/tap off system for Presto, this might not be the best positioning for the reader.

I saw a new reader installed on a 504 streetcar. It was placed in the middle of the pole between the rear doors, facing outwards. Meaning if you enter from the rear doors, the reader would be facing you to facilitate tapping on. However, if Metrolinx/TTC implement a tap on/tap off system for Presto, this might not be the best positioning for the reader.
While there's been some discussion about requiring tap-off for subways, there' there' no discussion about needing it on streetcars. They are are boarding only. The centre pole is fine.

On 4050 right now. It's got Presto as well.

And getting off at Bathurst station I see there are two brand new Prestro reload machines in the station. One each side of the fare line. Progress!

Last edited:
What's the timeline for Presto on buses? Cycling season is almost over and by-god it would be rad to not schlup around with a pile of tokens.

Back