News   Apr 30, 2024
 631     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.1K     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

In Minority Report which is filmed here a TR made an appearance, where the windows can detect your emotions and advertise to you accordingly.

I'm not sure if this has been disused here but during doors open I overheard one of the employees at the greenwood shop say something about the TR's being to wide or something to be used on the bloor danforth line anyone know if there is truth to it?

I'm not sure if this has been disused here but during doors open I overheard one of the employees at the greenwood shop say something about the TR's being to wide or something to be used on the bloor danforth line anyone know if there is truth to it?

Nope--they are fine to run on Line 2. I believe there may have been some minor width issues in the past in a small number of locations but that they were resolved long ago, however that is also a rumour; Brad Ross has answered this question on Twitter many times stating that there is no issue with them at present. In fact, they have been spotted on Line 2 a few times for testing. The only reason they are not being used there is because they are logistically not needed, the TTC only has enough for Line 1 which is where the greater demand exists. There may be an issue with Greenwood Yard though, I recall hearing something about that...on the line itself, though, they're fine.

I wrote in the Line 3 Scarborough article on Wikipedia that if Line 3 were to be replaced by a subway, very likely would the Toronto Rocket be used.

Cool. I've never written anything on Wikipedia. But with the amount of Toronto transit-related info I've compiled over the years I think I could add something of merit. It'd undoubtedly be bias, but factual.

I wrote in the Line 3 Scarborough article on Wikipedia that if Line 3 were to be replaced by a subway, very likely would the Toronto Rocket be used.
It will be the TR come 2025 or later as the T1's are retire and that should be stated in Wikipedia.

Its possible it may happen sooner so the new 7 car TR2 can replace the current TR on line 1 along with ATC on both 1 & 2.

What's the reference for that? In the 2016-2025 budget information, they are planning on a 2023 opening date, however there purchase of new trains is later than that.

Cool. I've never written anything on Wikipedia. But with the amount of Toronto transit-related info I've compiled over the years I think I could add something of merit. It'd undoubtedly be bias, but factual.
Wikipedia material should be both factual, referenced, and unbiased.

It will be the TR come 2025 or later as the T1's are retire and that should be stated in Wikipedia.
Speculation surely. And given opening day is still 2023, and there's enough T1 equipment available.

I fail to see why other agencies get 40-50 years out of their subway cars, and we seem to think less than 30 years is okay. Heck, we scrapped H6's that were only 25 years old.

Its possible it may happen sooner so the new 7 car TR2 can replace the current TR on line 1 along with ATC on both 1 & 2.
Seems unlikely, given there's no budgeting for it.

Last edited:
Perhaps because Toronto uses the equipment more?
More than the 1963 stock in Montreal? That stuff is as heavily used as Toronto equipment. Heck, even the new stuff (1973 stock) in Montreal is far older than anything in Toronto and very well used. There's plans to replace the 1963 stock, but it's all fallen into disarray with continuing production problems by Bombardier and Alstom, with talk of keeping the 1963 stock in service into the 2030s.

Montreal's trains are unusually old, while some agencies continue to push the limits of older equipment, its generally better to just buy new at the 30 year mark. Equipment can last forever if you put maintenance into them constantly.

Montreal's trains are unusually old, while some agencies continue to push the limits of older equipment, its generally better to just buy new at the 30 year mark. Equipment can last forever if you put maintenance into them constantly.

Montreals entire Metro is 100% tunneled subway underground, and their yards are entirely indoors as well. So their trains are not subject to the elements which means they also last a lot longer.

Really there's no reason why equipment can't be used indefinitely, as long as there's money to maintain them.

There's also a lot more variables that can affect logivity. For example, the growth of the system: the Hawkers and T1 would be unable to provide sufficient capacity for Line 1, so they'd needed to be removed. Also, the need to upgrade to newer technology. For example, moving to ATO on Line 2 means that we'll eliminate the T1 stock on that line (we could retrofit, but that's less cost effective)

Montreals entire Metro is 100% tunneled subway underground, and their yards are entirely indoors as well. So their trains are not subject to the elements which means they also last a lot longer.
Is that a joke?

I suppose that explains why some of their commuter equipment lasted over 75 years, because it was kept indoors ... oh wait, it wasn't.

It's all about how it's maintained.

Probably the "oldest" equipment I can think of is Philidephia's streetcars, which are over 80. They will likely be past a century before they are retired.

There probably isn't an original part left on any of those streetcars, but I think it appropriately shows how long equipment can last when you do a complete rebuild and constant maintenance.

Back