News   May 21, 2024
 191     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.2K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I'm intrigued by something. When the T1's got automated recorded announcements a decade ago (or whenever it was), the lady who did that, also does the computerized Text-To-Speech system for the TR's and new streetcars.

I wonder if she's actually a Bombardier employee?

Every system's voice has a story. I love Randi Miller from DC's metro:

[video=youtube_share;tG1RJW5RupE]http://youtu.be/tG1RJW5RupE[/video]

She's great except she pronounces Sherbourne as "sherburn" instead of "sherborn". Don't you think this is completely wrong? I'd do a forum poll on this if I had any idea how.

She's great except she pronounces Sherbourne as "sherburn" instead of "sherborn". Don't you think this is completely wrong? I'd do a forum poll on this if I had any idea how.
Sherburn (rhymes with learn) sounds wrong ... but I often get off at Sherbourne, and I've never noticed (I'll have to listen now), so I'm not sure that it's pronounced wrong.

On the other hand, pronunciations differ. I'd say that it should be Sherborne rhymes with lawn and born. But for native Torontonians lawn and born don't rhyme.

Sherburn (rhymes with learn) sounds wrong ... but I often get off at Sherbourne, and I've never noticed (I'll have to listen now), so I'm not sure that it's pronounced wrong.

On the other hand, pronunciations differ. I'd say that it should be Sherborne rhymes with lawn and born. But for native Torontonians lawn and born don't rhyme.

I always say Sher-burn. Don't think I have ever pronounced it as Sher-Born.

Pretty sure I read or heard somewhere that the correct pronunciation is actually Sher-burn and not Sher-born.

I'm not sure if I'd say "correct" since proper name pronunciations often vary depending on geography or who's saying it. I definitely agree that pronouncing it "Sher-burn" is a Toronto thing.

I'm not sure if I'd say "correct" since proper name pronunciations often vary depending on geography or who's saying it. I definitely agree that pronouncing it "Sher-burn" is a Toronto thing.

Nothing uniquely Toronto about it, though. Lots of English placenames have the "-bourn(e)" element (which originally meant 'brook') and it's quite often pronounced like "burn". Melbourne in Australia and Holborn in London are two prominent examples.

I associate the "Sher-Born" pronunciation with suburbanites who only know Sherbourne from the subway map...

Back