News   May 02, 2024
 249     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 444     0 

Corktown

The TTC NextBus announcement in the shelter at Sackville Street now says ".... diversion until 10th May 2015". Frankly, I do not believe it as they still have no overhead from Sumach to River but the metal bridge supports are now pretty well removed so it MAY be coming closer. This date agrees with the TTC webpage which says "Route diverting between Parliament Street and River Street, extended to May 10, 2015". At least they are sending a consistent message, though it may well be wrong, again!

Comment from someone in the Corktown facebook group:

I was walking along King near Sumach this morning, and encountered a TTC inspector. I asked him about streetcar service on this section of King E; he thought it would likely be restored within a week after the bridge reopening. He said it would only take a day to install the missing overhead power lines.

Good question. TTC removed the detour notice from their website this morning, but @TTCHelps couldn't explain why 504 was still detouring. They suggested phoning the community liaison at 416-393-2197 - but I was out today. Probably no point now.

Small miracles: while the King bridge hasn't reopened, streetcars are running full speed over the bridge along Queen now. Last night they were grinding the rails.

Another note - I'm no expert, but when they strung up the overhead power along King for the 504, it appears they used trolley wire and not pantograph. Is this possible?

Small miracles: while the King bridge hasn't reopened, streetcars are running full speed over the bridge along Queen now.
Ah, I missed that while I was staring out the window trying to look at the bridge!

Got through to the customer liason. They are waiting for a final go-ahead from Infrastructure Ontario. Day-by-day - hopes to have some more information soon.

Meanwhile, the detour notice has returned - with no scheduled end date.

http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/504_King_bdg.jsp

Got through to the customer liason. They are waiting for a final go-ahead from Infrastructure Ontario. Day-by-day - hopes to have some more information soon.

Meanwhile, the detour notice has returned - with no scheduled end date.

They're working on the final landscaping of the area on the north side of River City and it's spilling onto the street. They're also finishing up putting the topsoil over the rocks for the flood protection berm, so I think that may be holding things up.

I notice, too, that the rails along the King St portion didn't have the grinder go over them last night, so obviously we still have a ways to go.

Still no streetcars on King. I followed up with the liaison today. They hope to have a schedule from IO/City on when they can open sometime today. Looks like it's going to be in June. But not clear if early June/mid June or late June.

I have to imagine if it wasn't for the Pan Am target, this could linger for a few more years ...

To my untrained eye it appears the only thing holding up return to service for the 504 is the work being done on the sidewalks near River. If that really is the case, then there should be no reason this hasn't re-started.

I'd love to be proven wrong. This landscaping work seems to be taking its sweet time.

I should add that IO was supposed to have completed this last summer.

Still no streetcars on King. I followed up with the liaison today. They hope to have a schedule from IO/City on when they can open sometime today. Looks like it's going to be in June. But not clear if early June/mid June or late June.

I have to imagine if it wasn't for the Pan Am target, this could linger for a few more years ...

The TTC website has once again given up trying to give a date!

"As a result of structural concerns, the City of Toronto will keep the King Street East bridge closed until permanent repairs can be completed. The 503 Kingston Rd and 504 King service will continue diverting along Queen Street East."

In other news, it's now official - Corktown Common will be closed almost the entire summer: June 1 through August 31. They're finishing up installing the barriers and spike-tipped fencing around the perimeter, with only a small opening left to get into the park.

18135939375_e228e916ac_b.jpg

18135942415_fcc0645b50_b.jpg

18132461972_f28f184b6e_b.jpg

Some good news - the perimeter path seems to be open, at least along the east side. Of course only until Sunday.

18109459116_2f72254009_b.jpg

I got an update from TTC this morning. Bridge work has now been finished and everyone has signed off. They hope to run the test streetcar this morning, if it hasn't run already (I saw them sweeping the track when I went past at 8:30 AM this morning). If it goes as expected, then service should resume on Friday June 4!

I got an update from TTC this morning. Bridge work has now been finished and everyone has signed off. They hope to run the test streetcar this morning, if it hasn't run already (I saw them sweeping the track when I went past at 8:30 AM this morning). If it goes as expected, then service should resume on Friday June 4!

Ha. My wife and I were walking to work along King (east of Parliament) at about 8:45 when one of the new streetcars went past us. We were trying to watch it go to see if it was turning down Sumach, but lost sight of it. Guess this is what we saw.

Ha. My wife and I were walking to work along King (east of Parliament) at about 8:45 when one of the new streetcars went past us. We were trying to watch it go to see if it was turning down Sumach, but lost sight of it. Guess this is what we saw.
Someone tweeted a photo of 4402 eastbound at King/George at 8:50 this morning (presumably the photo was slightly before then). It must have continued east at Parliament instead of turning north!

If you look at Sumach, the new overhead wire they put up only goes east/west. There's no overhead at all on Sumach ... so all cars would go straight through there to River, and over the King Street bridge connecting to Queen Street that's been closed since September 2013.

It looks like you witnessed the first car to run there in almost 2 years.

Last edited:

Back