News   Apr 18, 2024
 353     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Corktown

So then the first 4400 series to ever run over that stretch of king.
They started test runs of the three prototype streetcars back in Spring 2013 - so there should have been some new cars along there back in spring/summer 2013 before it was closed.

The street/bridge is not open yet (noon); there still seem to be things to do with the overhead (a few loose wires) but the overhead has been reconnected at Parliament and there was a TTC overhead crew driving about. There may have been a test run earlier today but the street is still closed to all traffic and the fencing is still up at the bridge. There is no overhead going down Sumach so it certainly did not turn off King. (I noted that they have installed the special "tracks" for the overhead on the bridge over Sumach just south of King but assume they will only install the wires after Games - they still have a few poles to erect at the loop.)

Clearly King is getting closer to reopening, thank god!

Last edited:
The street/bridge is not open yet (noon); there still seem to be things to do with the overhead (a few loose wires) but the overhead has been reconnected at Parliament and there was a TTC overhead crew driving about.
Both the road and tracks will open simultaneously on Friday, if everything goes according to plan is what TTC told me. Presumably the test car went through with no hitches, if it's not stuck there at noon!

From what they told me, it could probably open today ... but they didn't want to spring the re-opening without some advance warning, given it's been 2 years now, and many regular 504 riders and operators have never even seen the proper route. And they didn't want to open the road without the streetcar changing, as they thought that would also be confusing.

There is a Committee of Adjustment sign on the ex-furniture shop on SW corner of King & St Lawrence asking for permission to open a restaurant in 'part of the main floor". For hearing in mid-June.

IMG_0093.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    347.1 KB · Views: 772
The King St side of the bridge has now reopened! It happened sometime between 6-8pm. The 504 looks like it will be back on its regular route tomorrow, as planned.

The King St side of the bridge has now reopened! It happened sometime between 6-8pm. The 504 looks like it will be back on its regular route tomorrow, as planned.
I went past at about 7:20, and it was still and it was still closed, but they were pulling out the fence at River, and had already opening up the barrier eastbound at Queen. Probably opened sometime between 7:30 and 8 pm then.

After almost 2 years of the detour, I had forgotten how much faster it is to get to Broadview without it. The streetcars are FINALLY running through the heart of Corktown again!

I was walking through Corktown last night on my way to check out the newly lit Queen Street Bridge and I has surprised by this great work of art. People on this site tell me I'm too critical and that I never like anything. Well, here is something that I really like. The fact that it has great night lighting is a huge plus!

I had no idea this was even in the works.

https://youtu.be/YzU27Nz0Yp4

Check it out.

I was walking through Corktown last night on my way to check out the newly lit Queen Street Bridge and I has surprised by this great work of art. People on this site tell me I'm too critical and that I never like anything. Well, here is something that I really like. The fact that it has great night lighting is a huge plus!

I had no idea this was even in the works.

https://youtu.be/YzU27Nz0Yp4

Check it out.

Thx for that - short discussion on the Cherry St streetcar thread about this piece. You should cross-post - I don't think anyone knew this was going to be lit at night. That's gorgeous!

Back