News   Jul 16, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 551     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 686     2 

Zoo keepers fuming over vote sending elephants to sanctuary

Well, what I find interesting is that for all the irregular deaths at the Calgary zoo, the facility didn't lose AZA accreditation - and yet shipping elephants to a sanctuary (I am agnostic about that move) with no evidence of harm does. Makes you think about it all, doesn't it?

AoD

Last edited:
Toronto elephants’ transfer at ‘impasse’ over PAWS medical records, zoo says

The Toronto Zoo says it is at an “impasse” with the California sanctuary that is supposed to be accepting three female elephants from here.

Reacting to a Saturday story in the Star that suggested the zoo is stalling or trying to block the transfer of three aging female elephants to the PAWS sanctuary, the zoo issued a release Monday evening accusing the sanctuary of refusing to hand over medical records for the eight elephants it has at its site.

“Without this information zoo management is unable to fulfill its due diligence,” the release says.

However, Julie Woodyer, working on behalf of PAWS in Toronto, said she has been trying to get zoo CEO John Tracogna to examine the legally required medical records for the sanctuary elephants at his convenience for over a month — without success.

---

PAWS has had three elephants test positive for exposure to the TB virus, according to a memo obtained earlier by the Star. But there are no active cases and the three elephants that tested positive are a different breed than Toronto’s trio, and would never come in contact with them, PAWS said last week.

The zoo’s statement Monday night acknowledged a legal agreement has been signed by both parties.

“However, this process has reached an impasse due to the inability of the PAWS facility to provide medical records for its elephants.

“Without this information zoo management is unable to fulfill its due diligence,” the release says.

Last edited:
As a voter, taxpayer and totally not an expert regarding animal sanctuaries and zoos, it makes me mad that council would presume to make a decision like this without consulting the zookeepers. The city hires experts to make recommendations and handle the details. It's idiotic, insulting and a waste of money (the salary the city pays these experts) for council to then ignore their advice and do whatever they want (send the elephants to PAWS in this case) just because they can.

Councillor vows to fight transfer of Toronto Zoo’s African elephants

A Toronto city councillor is vowing to do everything she can to stop the transfer of three aging African elephants from the Toronto Zoo to a California sanctuary, fearing their safety could be jeopardized and the zoo could lose standing with a national organization.

“It’s never over till it’s over,†councillor Gloria Lindsay Luby told The Globe and Mail Wednesday. “My heart and soul is in this and I believe in doing the right thing for our animals.â€

On Tuesday, council voted 32-8 to send the trio – Iringa, Toka and Thika – to the 80-acre sanctuary run by the Performing Animal Welfare Society.

The vote came after both the CEO of the Toronto Zoo, John Tracogna, and its top veterinarian presented evidence to council that sending the elephants to the sanctuary would put them at risk of being exposed to tuberculosis.

The motion says the transfer between the zoo and the PAWS sanctuary must happen by Dec. 31.

But Ms. Lindsay Luby said she’s looking at all provincial and federal legislation that could stop the elephants from being sent to the facility.

“It’s hard to say exactly what it is … it’s a work in progress,†she said. “ But you shouldn’t send them to a place where they can get a communicable disease.â€

A September report by Mr. Tracogna to the zoo’s board of management raised some of the most serious concerns about the PAWS facility. The zoo’s senior veterinarian had visited the sanctuary and suspected tuberculosis was present. The report said zoo staff were only invited to see one Asian elephant and three African elephants. PAWS staff caring for barns were wearing face masks that “strongly suggested that quarantine was in operation as a result of either a confirmed or suspected case of tuberculosis.â€

Ms. Lindsay Luby said she’s also concerned that the zoo could lose accreditation with the Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums. Losing accreditation could make it harder for the zoo to maintain some of its animal populations.

---

“I’m not an expert, nor is anyone on council,†she said. “When you don’t know the details, it’s easy to make a decision.â€

Edmonton to Toronto: Butt out of our elephant business

Edmonton’s mayor is bristling after Toronto city council suggested the Alberta city follow in its footsteps and ship a zoo elephant to a California sanctuary.

“I’m offended and Edmontonians should be offended,†Mayor Stephen Mandel said this week. “I don’t butt into Toronto business. It’s not their business to butt into our business.

“I don’t appreciate it all, neither does any of our councillors.â€

Mandel’s words come after Toronto city council voted late Tuesday to ship three Toronto Zoo elephants to the PAWS sanctuary in California by the end of the year.

Council then recommended that Edmonton follow suit and send Lucy, a 37-year-old Asian elephant, at the Edmonton Valley Zoo to PAWS as well.

“We just want to do what’s best for our elephants,†Toronto Coun. Michelle Berardinetti said of the decision. “That’s what we did here today.â€

But Lucy’s vet says leaving her at the Edmonton Valley Zoo is the best option for their city as her breathing problems could become life-threatening with the added stress of a move.

Edmonton’s mayor agrees and said the ciy has always acted in the elephant’s best interest.

“We have been told emphatically that if we ship her, she will die,†said Edmonton Coun. Kim Krushell.

Back