News   Jul 19, 2024
 530     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 829     2 

Zoning Reform Ideas

We could debate at nauseam as to the merits or not of immigration. It was asked about what it would do for housing.
What? The two are intricately connected, first of all. Second, my point is it doesn't matter how much we build because it's a manufactured housing crisis. The powers that be and this country's entire economic model depend on excessive immigration. So big biz will just lobby the feds to bring more people than any amount of new supply of housing we can build, including around GO stations. The housing supply meme is borderline disinformation at this point.

@HousingNowTO

I spot you!

To be honest, the city already knew the answer but never wanted to implement it...

'The City' is not one monolith.

There are lots of people in Toronto Planning who are very progressive and reform minded; there are also some obstinate fogeys, some well intended, others less so.

They all have to deal w/Councillors and w/folks in Finance concerned about what as-of-right permissions will do to community benefits.

'The City' is not one monolith.

There are lots of people in Toronto Planning who are very progressive and reform minded; there are also some obstinate fogeys, some well intended, others less so.

They all have to deal w/Councillors and w/folks in Finance concerned about what as-of-right permissions will do to community benefits.

Just to clarify...The councillor can be the biggest hurdle to getting things implemented.

Imagine buying an abandoned school for $100k in Toronto. The acquisition cost, and then permits and fees would render the project unprofitable as rental housing, especially with keeping the original structure intact rather than a fascadism condo tower.

Last edited:

Shouting into the wind here a little bit...

The changing Fall air has made me realize what's nice about all these cities relaxing their zoning. In 5, 10, 20 years from now, when the housing crisis has (hopefully) subsided, we will be left with liberalized zoning laws that will allow our cities to finally grow more organically once again. This isn't solely a fad or an emergency act; the new status quo has come with a new chapter in our cities. Every community will have that much more personality as we chip away at the cookie-cutter face of places. The rejection of urbanity baked into many places' zoning codes is being repealed in real-time, making for some very exciting times.

As an aside, I find it hilariously ironic that all those right wing nutjobs bleating about how the 15 minute city concept is some sort of nefarious liberal attempt to control people's movements are too stupid to realize that prior to WW2, all of our cities were 15 minute cities by default.

Lunkheads.

Disappointing vote this afternoon in Mississauga. Two of the councillors who opposed the motion, Dipika Damerla and Brad Butt, could be eyeing the mayor's chair if Crombie wins the Liberal leadership race.

1697047811231.png

Back