News   Apr 24, 2024
 561     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 491     0 

Your Thoughts on This Floor Plan

UrbanVigor

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thought I'd share my floor plan and ask for your thoughts, pros/cons, and ideas.

http://www.marketwharf.com/floorplans/ws_e.pdf

I bought at Market Wharf and it's 619 sf. I knew I wanted a 1 bedroom and I guess this is the smallest in terms of square footage that I had in mind, but I also knew that layout and floor plan matter more than square footage. What I like about this unit is it's on the north-east corner with floor to ceiling windows. With natural light in every room, it should feel larger than it really is. Plus with St. Lawrence Market across the street and a 6-storey sprawling complex to the east (which I suspect won't be touched over the next decade), it's a good bet that I'll have non-obstructed views for time to come.

Pros:
- unique open floor plan with what I think has a nice flow to it
- Kitchen - I like this layout and the fact that it's tucked away to the corner inside the unit. Helps create the nice flow and provides ample space for a dining area by the window
- Floor to ceiling windows all around
- Bedroom - good balance of length and width and enough closet space
- A little bit of storage space next to W/D

Cons:
- Living room will have some design/furnishing challenges, but it can be done. Would like to hear your ideas
- Bottom left corner of living room takes space away
- As does the column (though structurally, it's necessary)

Bathroom - many that I show this plan to mention that the bathroom is out of the way and far from the bedroom. However, I like this placement. Far better than having the bathroom next to the dinner table, nice to have it by the entrance when on the way out, and as for being "far", well, condos are small so it's never really far.

Overall, I think this plan works really well with the way I live. But I'd like to hear your opinions and your ideas on furnishing. I'm not going to place an island in the kitchen as I don't want to take away from the flow. But I may put something there that doesn't take much space like a slim and wavy bar of some sort. The living room will be the largest challenge. In many ways, it doesn't look like there's a lot of flexibility, but different things can be done.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:
Not a bad layout. The column can be dealt with by adding some plants or pictures, or other interesting artifacts around it.

You still have to walk through the kitchen/dining area to get to/from the entrance and the main living space. This would be a problem if you have people milling about while someone is trying to prepare/serve a meal. I would have preferred if the kitchen appliances were placed along the upper wall (western side if using the layout's compass). This would allow people to go around the kitchen instead of walking right through it.

Bathroom is a bit of a trek from the living space as well. Imagine having to go in the middle of the night and walking through your entire unit in the dark. Bound to knock something over. If the kitchen were rearranged as above the bathroom could be relocated to where the kitchen area used to be. With the entrance on the upper side, close to the entrance. This has the added bonus of giving a nice big foyer to enter into. Also if you're willing to sacrafice some closet space you could add a second entrance via the bedroom.

Some good thoughts, thanks.

I think if the kitchen were to be against the western wall, it would then have to be linear because I certainly wouldn't want to lose the window on the northern wall. I think it works best this way as the dining area is then adjacent to the living room. When entertaining this will keep people mixing as opposed to separated in different rooms.

The placement of the bathroom is something everyone takes notice of. On paper, it looks like a trek from the bedroom. But considering it's just a 619 sf condo, it's really not a trek at all and I like that it's well out of the way of the living/dining. The last thing you want is everyone sitting at the dining table or on the couch watching TV while someone is doing their business right beside them. :)

Great ideas about the column. As opposed to considering it to be in the way, I hope to make it an interesting feature. Anyone know what creative things others have done with columns in their units?

That's a good question.

What's weird is that I've seen 3 floor plans:
- the first one I got at the sales centre had a 2 door W/D closet
- the one on their web site that I've linked here has a smaller W/D closet - 1 door and more space allotted to structure
- the one attached to my purchase and sale agreement doesn't have the HVAC unit in the living room (but I think it's purpose was simply to initial on the understanding that the balcony can wave one way or the other based on the design of the building)

So who knows what will actually be when I move in?

The one on your schedule "A", attached to your agreement is the one you'll get. So you won't have the 2nd HVAC. That's great.

Really?! First time homebuyer here so not sure.

I had to initial that floor plan I believe to state my understanding that the balcony could wave one way or the other.

If that is the case then I'll get more living room space and a little less W/D storage (1 door instead of 2) which I can live with. Sure hope that's true. That's good news.

Why wouldn't they update the floor plan on the web site then?

I like it!

Pros:

Good use of space (no long bowling alley hallways)
bedroom/living room is pretty far from the front door (far from hallway noise)
separate living and dining room
nothing but windows
deep balcony

Cons:
Wish the fridge had a wall next to it, separating it from the rest of the room. Not a big deal.
bathroom is far from the bedroom, but at least it doesn't open onto the kitchen or living room.

Good job!

Why wouldn't they update the floor plan on the web site then?

Website and all the fancy, glossy pages are just marketing and have no legal value so they don't care that much - plus, plans change as the building goes through all of its stages and it would be a lot to continue to update. All that matters is what's written/depicted in your agreement of P/S.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

What's funny is that I purchased the unit off the floor plan I saw at the sales centre. It had the 2nd HVAC unit and a larger W/D closet. I certainly liked the idea of having that extra storage and while I could see that the 2nd HVAC gets in the way, I was happy with the overall floor plan.

I was a little puzzled by the floor plan on Schedule A. It has no dimensions and a little note about the waving of the balconies... thought that's what it's purpose was... I noticed that there was more room in the living room on Schedule A but didn't think much of it.

So this is great!

Azureray, please don't double post. I think most UT'ers check all the threads so try to help keep the site clean. Thanks.

Also, while CDR108 is really helpful and obviously cool with it, if you can afford a Poggenpohl kitchen, you can afford to pay a designer to CAD it instead of trying to get the work done for free. People need the work. Or better yet, offer CDR some money for it!

Azureray, please don't double post. I think most UT'ers check all the threads so try to help keep the site clean. Thanks.

Also, while CDR108 is really helpful and obviously cool with it, if you can afford a Poggenpohl kitchen, you can afford to pay a designer to CAD it instead of trying to get the work done for free. People need the work. Or better yet, offer CDR some money for it!

Yeah, sorry I just removed it. CDR108 has been very helpful. I am new to UT... ;-)

Thanks a lot for your advice. Cheers~

Good layout

Living room - you could try to hang the TV against the western wall in living room to save space; instead of the three seats sofa just replace it with a two-seats and replace the one seat with a two seats as well (the sliding door will still work fine). Then either you can place the one seat in the current TV station place or I would prefer to leave it empty for some decoration such as a bookcase etc.

the above is only the suggestion if the second HVAC is still in the living room - just found you do not have it anymore

Last edited:

Back