What type of building is your favorite

• High rise 16+ stories

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • Mid Rise 15-5 stories

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Low Rise 4 and under

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I saw Bill Maher there last winter and what I noticed for the first time (sitting on the floor) was that the seats are slim, very uncomfortable and a lack of leg room. The rest of the room is brilliant of course.
I think someone mentioned in another thread that the exterior is set for a cleanup or reno.

MH.jpg
2523829621_14416e4967_b.jpg

Last edited:
If I had to choose, I think it would certainly be from our collection of domestic architecture, which for my money is among the finest in the world. Perhaps something on Park Road, Dunbar, or Macpherson in Rosedale (more or less), or Admiral Road or Boswell in the Annex.

For the big stuff, TD Centre, I think--though minus the awful Ye Olde Towne historical-designation plaque, which would give Mies a coronary and an aneurysm at once.

I saw Bill Maher there last winter and what I noticed for the first time (sitting on the floor) was that the seats are slim, very uncomfortable and a lack of leg room. The rest of the room is brilliant of course.
I think someone mentioned in another thread that the exterior is set for a cleanup or reno.

There are 2800 of those tiny seats. If they renovated Massey Hall and put in modern-sized seats, I think they'd end up with about 1900 seats, which is the optimum size of a good concert hall these days. It's not all that easy, of course. The kneeroom in the balonies is poor, so they'd have to re-step balconies for new seating, too. The whole exercise would be expensive ....I think it would be worthwhile, though.

Your picture shows the curtain above the stage. Is it back? Too bad. For a while, it had been taken down, and the entire ceiling above the stage was on show. That concert hall is potentially a funky dazzler. With so much of Toronto being new (or newish), now is a fabulous time to put one of our pieces of history into full use.

My favorite recent years Toronto building: Royal Bank Plaza

Everyone: My favorite recent years building in Toronto has been Royal Bank Plaza for some time now.

For older buildings the Gooderham Flatiron and Old City Hall have been favorites along with the Royal York Hotel-classics all.

The older Commerce Court is a classic by itself-it is hard to believe it was once the tallest building in the entire British Commonwealth nations!

Thoughts from LI MIKE

I'm not really into the identification of favourites, because how can you manage to compare a contemporary house with, a massive modernist bank tower, with the heavily decorative Confederation Life building, in any meaningful way. So much to choose from, so little basis to make a comparison!

However, I'm going to nominate the R.C. Harris Filtration Plant as my favourite nonetheless, perhaps because I so recently visited the site to take photos of the complex.

1. The scale of the building is both overwhelming (it is massive and takes a good many minutes to walk along the edge of the longest of the three visible structures) and intimate at the same time (some of the decorative details and fountains can only be appreciated up close - and in their scale they acknowledge the size and scale of the persons that might be nearby appreciating them). It is an inviting building, that welcomes your contemplation.

2. It's one of the few large structures in Toronto that truly has room to breathe. Our cultural institutions are generally crammed into sites that, increasingly, see them pouring over the sidewalks, like they are bulging from within (which, happily, they are). I like this, as it is very urban, but it's nice to find, somewhere in the city, a truly grand vista where you can appreciate a building from a distance. Even better, when you are up next to the highest of the Harris buildings, you are rewarded with a view of the turquoise waters of Lake Ontario from a hilltop perch.

3. For me, I can't separate the meaning and purpose of a building from it's aesthetic. The TD Bank Tower, gorgeous as it is, speaks to me of the careful pursuit of private gain - nothing wrong with that, we love it, in fact - but it diminishes the splendour of the building. The RC Harris speaks to me of a communal act of social welfare - the provision of a common good - and that warms me to it. This is a purely person feeling that I don't expect anybody else to share, but I can't separate these things. (For instance, I could never nominate a private dwelling as my favourite building).

4. Finally, I admire greatly, but cannot love, the TD Centre. It's clearly a front runner in any campaign of the best buildings in Toronto (and deservedly so). It sits as the King of the financial district, laughing haughtily at the taller yet lesser towers around it, still the truly commanding presence of our skyline. The RC Harris, existing on the south-west fringes of Scarborough, just past the popular bits of The Beach, is an out-of-the-way, discreet friendly giant, doing it's bit to give Torontonians clean and fresh water - the very stuff of live. It's like a big, slightly stupid uncle that gives the best gift every Christmas.

(PS my favourite contemporary house is 48 Heathdale Road).

Last edited:
I hear you, re: point 3. Once I discovered that the construction of the pretty, pretty, pretty Parthenon was financed by the Delian League, whose purpose included waging war against Persia, dividing the spoils, forcing smaller tribute cities to join the League, and taxing them to finance Athenian building projects it fell from my list of favourites pretty damn quick. It was also partly used as the League's treasury building, and would have made a charming backdrop for animal sacrifices if, as at other Greek temples, they were held outside. Ew! Gross!

Toronto_BCE_Place_early_evening.jpg

BCE Place Galleria

(Not sure if this qualifies as high-rise or low rise; it's only the galleria part that's special--the towers are rather mundane.)

Back