1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 546     0 

Your election night predictions.

A

Antiloop33rpm

In less than 96 hours now, election results will be coming in and we will likely know who will be leading the country. Now that we are nearing the end, its time to offer your prediction to what the final results will be. Break down how many seats you think each party will get (dont forget about independents).

And feel free to add in any other random predictions. Will Peter Mansridge say something embarassing on air? Will Paul Martin's nose start bleeding all of a sudden as he stresses out watching election results come in?

Cons 148, Lib 85, Bloc 45, NDP 30, total 308.

Don't know about Mansbridge saying something foolish on air, but the hot questions will be, will Harper finally appear in public with a hair or two out of place? Will he crack a real smile?

I've been reading some news articles from 2004. Conservatives were expected to achieve a minority government with 45 seats in Ontario. They ended up being official opposition and got 24 seats in Ontario.

I predict that the undecided vote will go towards the Liberals (devils you know) but that the Conservatives will still squeek through with a minority virtually equal to the Liberal/NDP seat count. Bloc will hold the swing vote.

I also predict the lowest voter turnout since we started tracking it, beating the 2004 record.

No green seats but another climb in %age of popular vote.

Observer Walt, your guess is pretty good, though I would switch some seats from the Cons to the Liberals, given that there will likely be a bit of a retreat, a fainter echo of 2004:

125 Con, 98 Lib, 45 Bloc, 30 NDP.

For percentage of the popular vote (on a national level) Im predicting Cons 38, Lib 26, NDP 18, Bloc 12, Green 5, Ind/Other 1

For seat allocation, Cons 140, Lib 85, NDP 22, Bloc 59, Ind 2

This one is really hard to say. I still dont rule out that something could happen in the next few days that would lead to a Conservative majority, but in this rather slapstick campaign, who knows.

A Conservative Minority ... for a while.

This isn't really a repeat of 2004 as the race was much closer back then.

Also, I don't think the public would be willing to go to the polls next year, or the year thereafter.

I also predict that Harper will stick to most of his election promises, and that he's a much more fiscally responsible individual than his previous PC predecessors.

Oh, boy, I really don't know anymore. Anything can happen, and I mean anything. One thing's for sure though, Paul Martin is finished regardless of what happens on Monday.

The panel on Studio 2 last night unanimously announced that we'll be seeing a Tory majority. Personally I think those kinds of pundit predictions usually are contrary indicators. If I had to bet I think I'd place my money on a Tory minority. I dunno about the seat count though and I suspect Quebec will surprise us.

I think it's tough to say. I think the closet undecided will split between the Liberals and the Conservatives. I'm predicting a strong Conservative Minority, perhaps so strong that a few independents, Bloc or Liberals crossing the floor will yield a weak majority at some time during the minority government.

I'm actually hoping that the conservatives can gain seats in as wide a geographic range as possible, particularly in Quebec. I don't support any political party, but for the good of the country it is time that the conservatives break out of their regional and ideological base. Until the Calgary school can be purged there will be a transitional phase where the government will be far from "progressive" socially and infrastructure demands in the GTA will likely be neglected.

No numbers from me, but I gazing into my LCD monitor, I see a Conservative minority. :\

Martin will have his usual "I've got the shits" look on his face in his concession speech, Harper will be arrogant and cocky, revealing his hidden agenda (Canadians will cry out, "Oh noooooo, how could we have been so stupid"), and Layton will still be going on about a third choice, not realizing the election had already taken place and they lost ... again.

Chow will win in Trinity-Spadina (barely), and Ignatieff will lose in Etobicoke-Lakeshore to Capobianco.

The Green Party will come close in Vancouver, but come up empty.

In less than 18 months, we'll be doing it all again ...

... and I'm afraid it's splitsville for Delta Burke and Major Dad.

I can't believe that so few people are willing to stick their necks out a bit and make a prediction here.

and Ignatieff will lose in Etobicoke-Lakeshore to Capobianco.
Capobianco is the only Conservative that I wouldn't mind see winning due to the fact that he's running against Ignatieff.

Predictions:
Conservatives - 139
Liberals - 91
Bloc - 60
NDP - 18

How I wish the NDP would get more seats and that Greens would get any seats.

I'll go out on a limb and predict a Liberal minority with fewer seats than they have now. Unlikely, perhaps, but I agree with blixa that this one is probably less predictable than it seems. I don't really believe that the polls reflect what voters are going to do tomorrow. We shall see.

I don't really believe that the polls reflect what voters are going to do tomorrow.

I think that may be the only prediction that will be right at the end of tommorow night.

Back