News   Apr 23, 2024
 61     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 284     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 495     0 

Yorkdale Shopping Centre

Sporting Life and Restoration Hardware opened last Thursday.

I took a look inside both stores yesterday.

It's unfortunate that Sporting Life is not selling bikes nor bike equipment until next spring.

Restoration Hardware is four storeys tall, complete with a rooftop garden and a café at the first floor. Oh, and plenty of washrooms too (and they're the cleanest in Yorkdale by far (that are publicly accessible)).

Does anyone have any pictures of the Cheesecake Factory construction progress? What does the size of this location (10,000 sf) compare to other locations?

Does anyone have any pictures of the Cheesecake Factory construction progress? What does the size of this location (10,000 sf) compare to other locations?

So apparently the Cheesecake Factory is open. Is there more to this place than an American themed chain restaurant, albeit one with good cheesecake? I have never been, and am wondering if this is another Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe, etc.. or is the food objectively better?

They are known for having an extensive menu, with decent prices, decent quality and large portions.

Usually you end up to full to have cheese cake.

So apparently the Cheesecake Factory is open. Is there more to this place than an American themed chain restaurant, albeit one with good cheesecake? I have never been, and am wondering if this is another Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe, etc.. or is the food objectively better?

The short review: it's a bit overhyped IMHO, but it's not without merit.

A bit longer:
It's not the be-all and end-all of dining, but I will say it is much better than the Rainforest Café (ugh, never again). Never been to Planet Hollywood so I have no opinion on that one.

A large part of the allure is how they market themselves. Cheesecake Factory locations tend to be in upscale malls or shopping areas, giving them the illusion of prestige. The food, though decent, isn't quite a high-end dining experience though, maybe more like what middle America thinks a fancy restaurant should be. So it's sort of a faux-upscale thing, if that makes any sense. One trick they do is serve *enormous* portions, so many people perceive them as being a good value, even though they charge a lot more than a typical chain restaurant, and many people can't finish a meal there in one sitting. That and the menu is vast, at least at the American locations, so if you're going with a group, there's something for everyone. Plus there's usually a long wait for a table, at least at all the locations I've been to.

Anyway. While nothing I've had there has truly wowed me (except the portion size), I haven't had anything there which I would describe as less than decent either. You can do far worse.

If they have their Skinnylicious menu (not all locations have it), try the Tuscan Chicken:

CCF_TuscanChicken.jpg

Grilled Chicken Breast with Tomatoes, Artichokes, Capers, Fresh Basil and Balsamic Vinaigrette.
Served Over Fresh Vegetables and Farro
https://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/menu/skinnylicious/specialties/tuscan-chicken/

Do you think Cheesecake Factory will open up more locations in Toronto? And if so, where do you think?

Yes. Toronto loves corporate chain restaurants. I expect to see a "flagship" Cheesecake Factory restaurant in the downtown within the next few years.

Back