News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 726     0 

Yonge/Eglinton/Mt. Pleasant Photo Tour

This neighbourhood is clearly the most "Edmontonesque" in all of Toronto.

Thanks for the photo updates, though.

Chateau Royale is ugly, but does it have retail on the street? If I recall correctly, if you can overlook it's pretentiousness, it's actually a great addition to its block, with density, street definition, and development. A good example of what Toronto is trying to achieve with it's avenues strategy.

That's if you can overlook it's rather silly design. 900 Mt. Pleasant is better designed, but if I recall it's going to be a big whack of nothing on Mt. Pleasant, instead of a Pleasant extension of the commercial district that it could have been.

I saw the Minto towers up close the other day; lovely at street level. Edmonton should be so lucky.

Thanks so much for the update, very much appreciated.

According to the City Report, Chateau Royal is suppose to have retail at grade. I can't tell from the photos though or recall from the tour how it looks.

I would have liked to see retail in 900 Mt. Pleasant as well.

The age of the buildings may exude Edmonton, but the neighbourhood is much more vibrant with some of Toronto's best restaurants and shopping along Yonge and Mt. Pleasant. My favourite Italian restaurant is on Mt. Pleasant actually. But I digress.

99 Erskine is perhaps the worst project going in this entire city.

And if memory serves me correctly, the apartment building on that site aint pretty either - I had already ruled it out before even seeing an apartment. When I finally did see an apartment there, it turned out that my gut feeling was correct. There are a lot of similar buildings in that area. The one you want to stay away from is the large slab on the north side of Broadway.

The rent was cheap for the area (you get what you pay for), which is likely why there was a waiting list. Spend an extra 50 bucks a month on rent, and you can get so much more. There's something about the area just east of Yonge, north of Broadway, that doesn't seem normal to me. I wouldn't buy a condo there. I prefer the southeast corner of Yonge and Eg, closer to Mt. Pleasant.

Great photos, thanks! Would love to see more pics of Minto Roehampton and the surrounding area if possible.

Any thoughts/comments on Minto Roehampton?

And if memory serves me correctly, the apartment building on that site aint pretty either - I had already ruled it out before even seeing an apartment. When I finally did see an apartment there, it turned out that my gut feeling was correct. There are a lot of similar buildings in that area. The one you want to stay away from is the large slab on the north side of Broadway.

The rent was cheap for the area (you get what you pay for), which is likely why there was a waiting list. Spend an extra 50 bucks a month on rent, and you can get so much more. There's something about the area just east of Yonge, north of Broadway, that doesn't seem normal to me. I wouldn't buy a condo there. I prefer the southeast corner of Yonge and Eg, closer to Mt. Pleasant.

Boy is this a tough crowd! Are you guys always this harsh? We welcome feedback but you sound like you had your mind made up before you stepped into the rental office.

Fortunately we continue to run at near full occupancy every month. We attribute this to our ability to provide great value, service and above all a great place for our residents to proudly call home. We have been doing that successfully for almost 25 years and despite comments from people like Chuck we are proud of our efforts and our building. Broadway is a highly desirable street in an incredible neighbourhood and the success of the new condominium projects on the block is proof positive of that fact. Our hope is to re-create a modern version of the same environment at 99 Erskine once that project is completed. I hope that all you fantastic urban development gurus enjoy what we are proposing for this really dynamic and exciting neighbourhood.

All the best to the Urban Toronto forum!

Damn it, can you guys stop bidding on units in this area? I can't win anything for my buyers! :p

It's a great nabe. Yonge and Eg.

Agreed. Too bad I can't afford anything there.

A junior school, 2 high schools within walking distance of the intersection. A middle school (Hodgson) a short car ride away.

To my mind, anything off Yonge, within reach of the subway (NOT north of Lawrence) is a good place to live, retire, raise a family ..

-Moose

A junior school, 2 high schools within walking distance of the intersection. A middle school (Hodgson) a short car ride away.

To my mind, anything off Yonge, within reach of the subway (NOT north of Lawrence) is a good place to live, retire, raise a family ..

-Moose

My mom has the same nickname as you, hahaha don`t ask long story...

I definitly prefer this area to north of Lawrence, although north of Lawrence is more expensive and it keeps getting pricier as you get in to Hogs Hollow.

Chateau Royale will definitly have retail in its base. It has too according to the plan for the area, as would any building have to on Mt. Pleasant or Yonge in this area.

99 Erskine?? - NO MORE NOISE, NO MORE CONSTRUCTION!!!

Boy is this a tough crowd! Are you guys always this harsh? We welcome feedback but you sound like you had your mind made up before you stepped into the rental office.

Fortunately we continue to run at near full occupancy every month. We attribute this to our ability to provide great value, service and above all a great place for our residents to proudly call home. We have been doing that successfully for almost 25 years and despite comments from people like Chuck we are proud of our efforts and our building. Broadway is a highly desirable street in an incredible neighbourhood and the success of the new condominium projects on the block is proof positive of that fact. Our hope is to re-create a modern version of the same environment at 99 Erskine once that project is completed. I hope that all you fantastic urban development gurus enjoy what we are proposing for this really dynamic and exciting neighbourhood.

All the best to the Urban Toronto forum!

You bet they're harsh. Thank God for honest people. It's all true, and as for 99 Erskine...

There's no way that your building will be going up. Enough is enough, and the people will stop you. Trust me on this.

In the last four years we've had 2 years of super loud balcony construction, a huge building to the east going up (still making noise 6 days a week), and the new town houses going up. Is living in this neighbourhood all about putting up new buildings blocking the sunshine or can we actually stand up and say no to our city counselors? I know that I'll be there whenever the meeting takes place. I for one think that four years of construction noise is enough!!!

Beau Properties is going to have a fight on their hands with this one - I promise you.

Oh, and speaking for one who actually lives at 66 Broadway, I can attest to managements lack of cleanliness, pathetic elevators that are never fixed right, and lazy management that never put up signs unless people complain.

If anyone else who lives in the area would like to stand up for their rights to a bit of peace, contact this person:

City of Toronto Senior Planner Contact:
Rob Gibson
416-395-7059
rgibson@toronto.ca

Upon my last visit, I noticed quite a few "Chateau Royale's" in and around Montreal. That styling is much more popular there than here.

Is living in this neighbourhood all about putting up new buildings blocking the sunshine or can we actually stand up and say no to our city counselors?

What makes your view more important than anyone else's?

You bet they're harsh. Thank God for honest people. It's all true, and as for 99 Erskine...

There's no way that your building will be going up. Enough is enough, and the people will stop you. Trust me on this.

In the last four years we've had 2 years of super loud balcony construction, a huge building to the east going up (still making noise 6 days a week), and the new town houses going up. Is living in this neighbourhood all about putting up new buildings blocking the sunshine or can we actually stand up and say no to our city counselors? I know that I'll be there whenever the meeting takes place. I for one think that four years of construction noise is enough!!!

Beau Properties is going to have a fight on their hands with this one - I promise you.

Oh, and speaking for one who actually lives at 66 Broadway, I can attest to managements lack of cleanliness, pathetic elevators that are never fixed right, and lazy management that never put up signs unless people complain.

If anyone else who lives in the area would like to stand up for their rights to a bit of peace, contact this person:

Oh gawd, not another one of these guys!! Give up already, we are going to build and intensify Y & E, its in the city plan and you can wine and moan all you want but certain areas of the city need to be intensified in order to create a properly planned urban city, especially around subway lines. Which would you prefer, LA or Paris in terms of urban planning??? I dealt with construction for 5 years when I went to school at Brock (St. Catharines) and I just sucked it up and lived with it. Its not that bad really. I would prefer less cars, less suburbs, more transit, and more vertical neigbourhoods and so would many many others. It's more efficient and less wasteful of resources Suck it up sunshine, welcome to city living. Don't like it? Move to the burbs or go to the park if you aren't getting enough vitamin D!

I dont seem to find a thread for the addition at 45 Dunfield (The Dunfield), so I'll post this here unless somebody knows of a better spot... the view from the 17th floor currently under construction:

2938756872_e481fe0fcb_o.jpg

Back