News   Apr 25, 2024
 360     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

The problem isn't restricted to YDS - the decline is prevalent on Yonge from Wellesley down to Dundas or so and you'd see the same individuals roaming that stretch.

AoD

Precisely why I walk down Jarvis or Bay instead. You know it's getting bad when I prefer Jarvis over Yonge.

Looks like Yonge is going back to being as seedy as it was in the 70s and 80s.

I don't understand this. With the explosion of new local residents/condo owners up and down Yonge, Church, and Jarvis, shouldn't the opposite be happening?

I don't understand this. With the explosion of new local residents/condo owners up and down Yonge, Church, and Jarvis, shouldn't the opposite be happening?

These condos are more like gated communities. One doesn't need to interact with their neighbourhood (or even their neighbours, for that matter) at all: just hop into the car and drive out of the garage or take the PATH or the TTC and go to some place more desirable.

After reading through the comments in response to Kevin Frankish's tweet, it seems this is yet another source of division in these divided times.

On the right: intimidated and disgusted by anti-social behaviour; calling for some sort of crackdown; seeking urban decorum and orderliness
On the left: denial that there's any problem at all; contempt for those who think there is; seeing this through the prism of poverty; embracing urban messiness

Take your pick because there isn't much common ground.

After reading through the comments in response to Kevin Frankish's tweet, it seems this is yet another source of division in these divided times.

On the right: intimidated and disgusted by anti-social behaviour; calling for some sort of crackdown; seeking urban decorum and orderliness
On the left: denial that there's any problem at all; contempt for those who think there is; seeing this through the prism of poverty; embracing urban messiness

A surface reading might reveal that, perhaps, but I'd also factor in the fact that the 'left' very publicly wants to increase taxes to help fight homelessness and drug addiction while the 'right' believes that the current 'at the rate of inflation' canard is working just fine...

Good summary. I’m in a bit from door number 1 and a little from door number 2.

I like the organic way in which Yonge Street has assembled and I like that it’s in Toronto’s spine where every type, rich and poor, every race and creed, every culture, every type of Torontonian bumps into one another like a tube everyone goes through before separating into their “own” spaces scattered around the city.

I don’t like that some people are abusing this space, insisting on standing out from the others and imposing themselves on others with loud speakers. Want to talk about your Jesus? Do so without forcing it on everyone else and dominating the space. This needs to stop. It’s selfish and it’s against the law.

I don’t recommend some crack down on Yonge to keep people moving along or kicking others out but I would like to see police and bylaw officers enforce the bylaws.

The YongeTOmmorrow will fix many of the other issues which have to do with widening the narrow sidewalks, adding trees and streetscaping.

Last edited:
These condos are more like gated communities. One doesn't need to interact with their neighbourhood (or even their neighbours, for that matter) at all: just hop into the car and drive out of the garage or take the PATH or the TTC and go to some place more desirable.

I thought the whole point for thousands of new residents living downtown was to embrace the urban nature of it.

I don’t like that some people are abusing this space, insisting on standing out from the others and imposing themselves on others with loud speakers. Want to talk about your Jesus? Do so without forcing it on everyone else and dominating the space. This needs to stop. It’s selfish and it’s against the law
Exactly. In my experience as gay dude, I don't always feel safe in YDS because of those people. They clearly hate me and it's just an unpleasant experience. Definitely would not hold another guys hand down there that's for sure.

Saw a stabbing outside the Eaton Centre last week. I avoid Yonge St. as much as I can these days and much prefer the dreariness of Bay St.

Back