News   Apr 25, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

This actually looks fantastic in person even though it's not even finished yet. It really ties everything above it together nicely.

IMG_4480.jpeg

In fact, the whole square is starting to get that major world city commercial square they've been allegedly aiming for. Most of the screens within your field of view are high quality and very bright, even in daylight.

Boy I wish I had my camera handy.
I was flying in on Porter at dusk, and Dundas Square glows like it's nuclear in the evening and from distance.
Looked amazing, although I sure wouldn't want a condo close to it.

Indeed. I see many Major World Cities adopting this very concept of tacky, ugly, corporate, complete shite squares.
I'm busy compiling a list of participating Major World Cities.. I'll have get back to you..
There are simply too many Major World Cities who are going all out to copy this fabulous square for me to document them all in one shot..

Last edited:
My point was if a cyclist is told to dismount, does not and takes out a crowd of people it is their own fault and the pants should be sued off of them.
And on what planet do you actually think a cyclist is going to get blamed or fined for anything in 2020 and beyond?

Indeed. I see many Major World Cities adopting this very concept of tacky, ugly, corporate, complete shite squares.
I'm busy compiling a list of participating Major World Cities.. I'll have get back to you..
There are simply too many Major World Cities who are going all out to copy this fabulous square for me to document them all in one shot..

I see you’re participating in the age-old Canadian pastime of insulting Toronto and downplaying it’s importance.

In fact, the whole square is starting to get that major world city commercial square they've been allegedly aiming for.

Except that empty platform on the side that once had the beer can doesn't look world-city class. Doesn't anyone in the ad business notice that?

Kevin Frankish moved into the area and just found out about “street yellers”. I don’t know about dangerous, but they’re definitely a nuisance and to me, annoying as hell.

Kristyn Wong Tam is in the thread detailing some changes to the area and police have commented as well talking about an upcoming police presence in and around the intersection.

While street preaching is protected by free speech, amplified sound is against local bylaws. It just needs to be consistently enforced.

Kevin Frankish moved into the area and just found out about “street yellers”. I don’t know about dangerous, but they’re definitely a nuisance and to me, annoying as hell.

Kristyn Wong Tam is in the thread detailing some changes to the area and police have commented as well talking about an upcoming police presence in and around the intersection.

While street preaching is protected by free speech, amplified sound is against local bylaws. It just needs to be consistently enforced.

They are a nuisance, and there are some safety issues with the YDS area, but I think Kevin Frankish is being a bit melodramatic about the whole thing. Is it the first time he's been there what, in the past two decades (nevermind the fact that his old employer chose to base City right next to this)?

AoD

I see you’re participating in the age-old Canadian pastime of insulting Toronto and downplaying it’s importance.

I just find it weird that someone from Mtl is constantly coming here to b*tch about Toronto. Now I can compile a list of Major World Cities that have to suffer this BS from their betas, and it won't be all that hard.

AoD

Kevin Frankish moved into the area and just found out about “street yellers”.
Is it the first time he's been there what, in the past two decades (nevermind the fact that his old employer chose to base City right next to this)?

Im confused... wasn't he host of Breakfast Television on City until just a year ago? He's been in the area for a while now. And I do partially agree with him. The area has gone downhill over the years. I graduated from Ryerson in 2010 and it wasn't as bad as it is today. I even avoid walking through the area these days. It's also the only area in Toronto where I have been mugged with a knife held at me, despite being in a busy area. If he feels unsafe in the area, I honestly don't blame him. Neither do I.

Im confused... wasn't he host of Breakfast Television on City until just a year ago? He's been in the area for a while now. And I do partially agree with him. The area has gone downhill over the years. I graduated from Ryerson in 2010 and it wasn't as bad as it is today. I even avoid walking through the area these days. It's also the only area in Toronto where I have been mugged with a knife held at me, despite being in a busy area. If he feels unsafe in the area, I honestly don't blame him. Neither do I.

I used to work at Yonge and Dundas in 2007. Back then you only had to contend with Sarko scaring the living s**t out of you.

The problem isn't restricted to YDS - the decline is prevalent on Yonge from Wellesley down to Dundas or so and you'd see the same individuals roaming that stretch.

AoD

Back