News   May 02, 2024
 382     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 312     0 

Yellow Ribbons on City Vehicles

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
They voted unanaimously to keep the ribbons.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Do yellow ribbons show support for troops or support for war?
ANTHONY REINHART AND JENNIFER LEWINGTON

June 20, 2007

TORONTO -- There has been no shortage of debate around Canada's military mission in Afghanistan, whose stated intent - to rebuild the war-torn country and bring freedom to its people - has so far cost 57 soldiers their lives.

Meanwhile, back in Toronto, Western-style freedom looked something like this yesterday: city politicians arguing over whether fire trucks and ambulances should keep carrying Support Our Troops decals, while firefighters were ordered not to discuss the sudden controversy.

"I was just told this morning that everything with those yellow ribbons has to go through corporate communications [at city hall]," said Stephan Powell, a fire-department spokesman. "I'm just following orders."

Those same orders also trickled down to the city's fire halls yesterday, where several ex-soldiers and current reservists earn their living.

Print Edition - Section Front
Enlarge Image

More National Stories
'More than the loss of a resource'
Wife of crash victim calls for tougher laws
Liberals clear path to Commons for two of Dion's 'dream team'
Scientist's endorsement of bisphenol A under review
Fontaine warns possible lawbreakers
Do yellow ribbons show support for troops or support for war?
Go to the National section
Many expressed bemusement - on condition of anonymity - that a political furor would erupt around their small, simple tribute to those who, like them, face danger.

"That's all you've got to complain about is a little 10-by-four-inch sticker?" one long-time firefighter asked. "Homeless people on the street and kids getting killed, and they're worried about a sticker?"

The issue arose at city hall yesterday after a news report that the city, in response to complaints from people opposed to the Afghan mission, had ordered the decals removed from 170 fire trucks and a similar number of ambulances. The decals were installed last year, without council's involvement, after the firefighters' union paid $3,000 for the fire-truck stickers; emergency medical services dipped into its taxpayer-funded budget for a similar amount.

In fact, fire Chief William Stewart said there has been no order to remove them; rather, "there was never an intent to maintain them continuously," since the decals were part of a one-year program to be phased out starting in September. Similarly, EMS Chief Bruce Farr said the ambulance decals were to be temporary, and were "certainly not related to the Afghan mission," but a mere sign of support for "the men and women in the Canadian Forces."

But now that council is involved, the issue is destined for a vote today on a motion put forward yesterday by Councillor Frances Nunziata (Ward 11, York South-Weston).

Her motion not only calls for a repeal of the order to remove the decals in September but asks that they remain in place for the "duration of the Canadian troop involvement in Afghanistan."

Late yesterday, council Speaker Sandra Bussin gave the official explanation of the incident. When pressed by Councillor Case Ootes (Ward 29, Toronto-Danforth), she said there had been no city order not to renew the decals.

Ms. Nunziata said she received calls from veterans yesterday. "They were outraged and insulted," she said.

Councillor Brian Ashton (Ward 36, Scarborough Southwest) was similarly incensed.

"By taking them off you are giving a black eye to Canada's premier city," Mr. Ashton said. This put David Miller, the left-leaning mayor, in the delicate position of professing support for the troops while acknowledging sensitivities around the "powerful symbol" of the decals. In the end, Mr. Miller said he will not support Ms. Nunziata's motion to extend the ribbon display.

"There are people who see it as support for the troops," he said. But "there are people who see it as support for a war." He said the city had received calls from "people saying 'why are you expressing support for the war in Afghanistan?' "

At an east-end fire station, where firefighters arrived to work yesterday amid news that nine of their comrades had died in a South Carolina warehouse blaze, there was decidedly less debate. To them, it's a simple matter of respect for the soldiers' sacrifice.

"Nobody over there wants to go and kill people," said one firefighter in his late 20s, who serves in an army reserve unit and has friends who have fought in Afghanistan. "They want to help people, same as on our job."

It should never have been on the vehicles in the first place. If the city and its' organs (which EMS and Fire is part of) wanted to express support, it should be done through council and not through some backdoor initative. Where is the discipline?

AoD

Also, not so bad here (yet) but "Support our Troops" has been twisted to suit the purposes of ideologues. Check out the "National Citizens Coalition" billboard at Gerrard and Bay. In the US (which Harper wants to emulate) it has become another cliche like "Cut and Run" or "9/11".

Very unfortunate, but this is the reason why there was the fuss in the first place, me thinks.

support our troops?

if you don't have a sticker, does that mean that you don't support the troops?

when you buy a sticker, does the money go to the troops?

I was wondering about those and other issues surrounding this controversy as well, Prometheus. In fact, it strikes me as a little disturbing that manufacturers of decals get to arbitrate people's patriotism.
Besides, we had an issue with EMS staff (the police) selling stickers to drivers only a few years ago; what driver doesn't want to seem supportive of the police?
Furthermore, when will personal politics creep in, and some sticker-campaign calling for longer prison terms, or a ban on abortions becomes a legitimate form of expression on public emergency vehicles?
I am not even opposed to these stickers (yet), as I haven't really thought about them until this became yesterday's giant local issue-du-jour. However, the usual nauseatingly self righteous blowhards who were calling for boycotts on Toronto are essentially supporting the stickers' monopoly on conveying support for Canadian soldiers.

if politicians really wanna support the troops, they should stop hiding behind symbols. they should be pushing for the safety of the troops, better tools for them to do their job & money to cover the toll the war takes on the soldiers and their families.

it's easy to wave a flag or stick a sticker.

^ This point is very well taken Supremo. It's easy to get a sticker and place it on a vehicle (not that I'm opposed to stickers), harder to get concrete support systems in place.

Maybe our municipal politicians should start sporting stickers on their vehicles
351386-screw_ball.jpg

This whole debate in the public, on the news, and in council had my eyes rolling. They should be taking the decals off. It is not up to council, unions, or anyone else to tell people what they should and should not support. Also, a lack of a decal or removal of a decal is not a sign of lack of support. All the loud mouths getting angry at Toronto City Council need to be asked if they would paint their whole house yellow as a sign of support for the troops... and if they said no they should get the same kind of unwarranted disgust at their non-support of the troops. I feel like sending letters of anger that the city vehicles don't have pink ribbons on them because I can't believe city council doesn't support those with breast cancer. Why no white ribbons to support the end of violence against women? Doesn't this council care? Seriously though, this complete reversal on this issue shows how little spine this council has in dealing with loud mouthed rhetoric from the peanut gallery. The yellow ribbon should never have been there in the first place. Support for the troops is decided by individuals and their actions, not actions mandated by government and management. I support the war in Afghanistan but I don't see how it makes any sense to put yellow ribbon decals on city vehicles that read "we support the troops". Who is we? Where is individual opinion?

enviro, it's a sticky slope :)

if they allow one sticker, then another, and so on, by process of elimination, you know what is supported or not by the public service org.

in the end, every square inch of the vechicle will be covered in stickers because they have to please every group.

it's the same reason why censorship is not a good thing. you ban one thing for one group, then you have to ban a million things for other groups or else you're not fair.

like i said before, supporting the troops in a given. going nuts with the stickers and flags is like homer simpsons "everything is okay" smoke alarm -you know, the one that makes a constant noise indicating that everything is okay?

Link to article

Vancouver reverses decision to strip city trucks of Support Troops stickers
CanWest News Service
Published: Friday, June 22, 2007

Vancouver city council has reversed a decision that would have seen yellow "Support Our Troops" decals removed from fire department and emergency medical vehicles. City managers had sparked debate by deciding on their removal, saying they might be seen as a political statement. The decision was reversed late Wednesday. In Edmonton, councillors are putting forward a motion within two weeks to adorn the city's emergency vehicles with the decals and hope to launch the campaign within a month. Tory MP Laurie Hawn stood on the steps of City Hall yesterday to hand over 30 of the magnetic decals to Councillors Ed Gibbons and Mike Nickel. They are intended as a show of moral support for soldiers in Afghanistan. Ottawa allows such stickers, as does Toronto, where this week city officials were embroiled in a debate about the decals' removal.

Back