News   Apr 24, 2024
 949     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 619     0 

Wychwood Barns conversion project (Artscape, 1s, DTAH)

Barns will officially open to the public November 20th

From Joe Mihevc's e-news

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 7:30 p.m.
Green Arts Barns Community Association gala fundraiser
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 3:30 p.m. ONWARD
Artscape will host the official ribbon cutting ceremony and open house at the Barns on Thursday, November 20. After the event, the Barns will be officially open to the public.
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 22, 9 a.m. ONWARD
The Farmers' Market, which has been at St. Michael's and All Angels Church, will have its homecoming to the Barns site on Saturday, November 22 beginning with a special presentation at 9 a.m.

ARCHITECTURE: ON THE RIGHT TRACK
A temple in a streetcar shed
The Wychwood barns have all the trappings of an artists' eco-haven. Outdoor bake-oven? Check. Rainwater to flush the toilets? Check. But none of that really matters - it's the soaring design that makes the place feel holy

LISA ROCHON

lrochon@globeandmail.com
Globe and Mail
November 15, 2008

The reinvention of the old Toronto Transit Commission streetcar-maintenance sheds in the St. Clair-Wychwood area of the city will banish forever your spontaneous, ill-considered desire to damn all urbanity and move to Cape Breton. Forget the lobster, this is a chance to feast on a version of urban heaven, a wondrous, hybridized redevelopment of something that had been left for 30 years to die a slow death. The Artscape Wychwood Barns, which open to the public this week, give us a new kind of temple in which art, community and urban agriculture are allowed to happily conspire.

The contemporary flaneur will wander through the complex for hours, possibly days.

Chuck the one-dimensional idea of what the city should be. (And, no, a green roof is no longer a startling idea.) The historic industrial site will be home to affordable artist studios, a performance space for Theatre Direct Canada, offices for groups such as the Hélène Comay Nursery School and the Latino Canadian Cultural Association as well as the Local Enhancement Appreciation of Forests. A large greenhouse, designed by Mike Dixon, a University of Guelph scientist who is also consulting on ways to install greenhouses on Mars, will allow people in the community to be educated year-round about urban agriculture.

Naturally, there is an outdoor bake-oven modelled on the one successfully started in Dufferin Park so many years ago by community leader Jutta Mason. Geothermal heating, which required drilling 50 holes down 120 metres to lay pipes under what is now a playing field, provides the most sustainable form of heat for the complex. Grey water captured from the roofs is being used to flush toilets.

It was not always such a rosy picture. Several years ago, the problem of what to do with the streetcar site, originally built in the early 20th century for the privately run Toronto Civic Railway, polarized the neighbourhood. Some wanted a wide-open park. Others wanted cheap living space. Tim Jones, president and chief executive officer of Artscape, a not-for-profit business dedicated to culture-led regeneration, faced the angry community at meetings that went late into the night. Eventually, over time, he engaged them with possibilities for an adaptive reuse, and his organization was hired in 2004 to redevelop the site.

Artscape had contributed hugely to the reinvention of the Distillery District, where about 60 artists lease studios in the Case Goods Warehouse building. But the presence of parkland surrounding the historic car barns meant unleashing a new kind of dream. And collaboration with the City of Toronto and The Stop Community Food Centre showed the way for a deeply vibrant centre.

A new city park that includes a children's play area and an open sports field surrounds the complex. A natural ice rink - much like the one the community has known since 1925 - will be part of the winter landscape. "There was no shortage of aspiration," says Mr. Jones. "What we've learned about these multi-tenant projects is that the more dynamic the place becomes, the easier it is to raise money, and the more sustainable they become."

Rehabilitated for $21-million, the complex reinvents the existing long, gabled sheds as indoor gallerias and housing for studios. The oldest concrete shed has been sliced back so that its walls open framed views to an organic marketplace and the surrounding park. But before the contemporary interpretation of the architecture could start, the site, contaminated by coal tar, had to be cleaned up. Dalton Company built the redevelopment, with structural consulting provided by Toronto's Blackwell Bowick Partnership. Besides private donations, funding came from the Canadian Heritage's cultural spaces program and the George Cedric Metcalf Charitable Foundation.

The TTC repair barns - some constructed with steel and brick, the others using concrete structures - have been restored and updated in a series of deft, elegant moves by Toronto architect Joe Lobko, a partner with du Toit Allsopp Hillier Architects. In the Studio Barn, an epic skylight runs for 60 metres along the roof of the oldest barn (built in 1913). Where required, muscular black or grey steel frames have been inserted against deteriorated brick entrances or windows. Live-work studios for artists running along Benson Avenue have benefited from new small courtyards defining their front entrances.

There can be no doubt: The Wychwood barns will become the hot cultural destination in the St. Clair and Christie neighbourhood. This is not to say that the barns will replace such major destinations as the Art Gallery of Ontario or the Royal Ontario Museum, because of an enticing bake-oven. The compelling city allows for an intermingling of all creative players. And it's that potent mix which inspires us to stay.

I know someone who recently moved into the building and I have to say, from the outside it is a pretty awesome conversion- they have managed to keep the rustic and industrial feel of the building even when inserting new elements into the building. I think it will look even better once the vegetation begins to take hold.

However, the inside is a bit of another story. I was dismayed by the bad craftsmanship and handy-work by almost all trades. Tiles were crooked and improperly grouted, and the baseboards were not mounted correctly, nor was the cabinetry in the kitchen. It might be that I am used to European standards here in Vienna, where the trades actually take pride in their work, but every condo, or loft I have been to in Toronto, has the same shoddy workmanship. I was also dismayed to find the the sliding doors were mounted on a slant, so they ultimately always close, even if you want them to stay open.

Maybe they don't have the time to complete their projects? Maybe they are rushed? Maybe they are jumping from job site to job site? Who the hell knows? But from my experience, there are fewer and fewer people taking pride in their work- its just a job and not about the results.

To add insult to injury, my friend is quite disabled and has been given a specially built space, yet, there seem to have been almost no quality controls done..

However, on the whole I think the project is great and will ultimately do wonders for the neighborhood...

p5

Last edited:
p5, it's an interesting question. Sometimes when I watch TV, those remodelling shows or re-selling shows, it seems like they are always saying, "this room needs an update", which I take to mean that it is out of style and therefore needs replacement. I always end up thinking - "do you really throw away everything every few years as styles change?". Maybe that's part of it - our culture has an assumption that whatever is in place will be discarded shortly - or ought to be - because it will be out of style, whether or not it is still functional.

^^archivist, I think that the shoddy workmanship may have something to do with our consumerist approach to everything, whether it is a mobile phone, or a new kitchen. Yet, I somehow feel that there is just generally a lack of pride in craftsmanship or workmanship. There seems to be this prevailing notion, that "ah, that is good enough" is in fact enough, when in fact it is just an excuse for not having to do more work.

Today people seem to do more work, but of a poor quality; they do more because they have to continually repair, replace, edit what they initially did, but they perpetuate the notion of the "good enough" result and ultimately spend all the time redoing it. Really, it is as simple as doing the job right the first time. Now, I am sure there are more factors than just a single one, but I think that the majority of the weight lies upon the shoulders of those carrying out the work.

p5

Last edited:
I was at the opening night gala on Saturday and it is indeed an awesome space. I can't say I noticed any of the shoddy workmanship, but the "open bar" may have had something to do with that.

There's some more info here: http://www.blogto.com/city/2008/11/the_next_distillery_district_artscape_wychwood_barns_opens_its_doors/

20081116-wychwood.jpg

Darkstar- the shoddy workmanship was located within two studio units/ residences, not within the area you were in probably - I actually do not know how other spaces turned out, but from the sounds of it, they may have had more time put into them due to their public nature.

open bar = good times!

p5

what a terrific project. i'm going to be checking it out this week.

these are the projects, the one's which solidify a city as a lover of community, the arts, and sustainability, that make great cities.

i do hope toronto continues to develop and innovate. we all love architecture, but a project like wychwood certainly determines the value of a city.

I went this weekend for the indoor farmer's market. There's all kinds of evidence of the creative problem solving that goes into a really successful reuse of an existing building like this, including the main market space and the greenhouse partly hidden behind the remnants of the huge old shed doors. The market was pretty crowded and people generally seemed really happy to be there, which has to be a marker for successful design (paired with good programming). For all my bitching about Toronto's commitment to mediocrity, this project to me is a potential poster child for Toronto urbanism at its best.

I am super-excited about this thing. It's the kind of project that makes me proud of Toronto. Can't wait to visit in the warm weather.

Re, p5: I know exactly what you mean (I am writing this from Germany) about trades here, but I would hesitate to call it a 'European' so much as a 'Germanic' phenomenon. Craftsmanship in Britain (or Italy, or Poland, etc.) is nothing special. But those Teutons really do things right.

all- I tend to agree. I went out of my way to see some obscure buildings in Paris that were in the Phaidon atlas, and they looked like they were 20 years old, not four or five years old. They were in terrible shape! I was actually shocked by the whole thing.

But I think you are correct about the Germans.

Back