News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 863     0 

World Happiness Report 2018 - Canada #7

Considering most of the countries ahead of Canada have at most the population of the GTA, I think this is a fantastic showing for us. And as the discussion is going, we can also do better!

Earlier in this thread I teased there might be an improvement in paid vacation standards coming to Quebec, which I hoped would be catchy for other provinces.

Well, the announcement has been made.

Quebec is making an improvement, albeit a smaller one than I had hoped.

They are moving to 3 weeks paid vacation after 3 years of service w/the same employer.

They are also matching Ontario with the provision of 2 paid sick days.

Its a start.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/new-bil...days-off-for-quebec-parents-sources-1.3853777

Last edited:
Wait, why'd you link to a GO Transit announcement?

I wonder why Quebec decided to match our holiday provisions.

Wait, why'd you link to a GO Transit announcement?

Fixed

I wonder why Quebec decided to match our holiday provisions.

Not taking any credit, but I did suggest the idea to them.

The timing won't surprise anyone though, there's a Quebec election in near future, the governing Liberals aren't particularly popular.

Changing this regulation is quite cheap and popular.

I'm not a fan of Quebec Solidaire but I like Nadeau-Dubois' proposed legislation enacting work communication blackout periods! I mean, I enacted my own a long time ago so I'm not exactly in need, but not everyone has that option. In my industry (custom construction) afterhours communication is nowhere near necessary yet still happens. I've had clients trying to phone me at 21h on a Friday or on a Sunday morning! I'm not emergency services, please hang up and dial 911.

+++++

I was wondering why they matched the paid holiday provision exactly. It reminds me of my past subscription to L'Actualite (RIP, print edition...or was it just that Rogers sold it, I don't remember, they just cancelled me) where they compared everything to the same metric in Ontario in various articles on various topics.

I'm not a fan of Quebec Solidaire but I like Nadeau-Dubois' proposed legislation enacting work communication blackout periods! I mean, I enacted my own a long time ago so I'm not exactly in need, but not everyone has that option. In my industry (custom construction) afterhours communication is nowhere near necessary yet still happens. I've had clients trying to phone me at 21h on a Friday or on a Sunday morning! I'm not emergency services, please hang up and dial 911.

+++++

I was wondering why they matched the paid holiday provision exactly. It reminds me of my past subscription to L'Actualite (RIP, print edition...or was it just that Rogers sold it, I don't remember, they just cancelled me) where they compared everything to the same metric in Ontario in various articles on various topics.

Its not an exact match.

Ontario moved the bar from no requirement for a third week at all; to three weeks after 5 years of service with the same employer.

That's what Quebec already had.

Quebec is moving to 3 weeks after 3 years of service w/the same employer.

They did match the 2 paid sick days, and my guess is that one is a direct riff on Ontario.

It avoids the argument of becoming uncompetitive by having mandates that are out of proportion to neighbouring jurisdictions.

Oh, man I really don't know what's up. I thought we were at 3 after 3 as well.

I didn't pay any attention because I was already at 3 during the change.

I need to wake up....is it still Monday?

Back