News   Mar 28, 2024
 980     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 552     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 844     0 

Woodbine Centre

Long time reader of this forum, first post. I am a lifelong resident of the area, first Rexdale, currently Malton, I have seen this mall boom and bust in my lifetime and ironically pursued an education in commerce, so I get it.

I've been following this thread since 2008, and sadly the mall has declined more and more every year since then. A short history - the mall's hey days were in the mid 90s, the decline probably hit a more steep slope in the mid/early 2000s. However, main tenants were still trying such as Sears, the Bay and Zellers. Long gone were smaller, upscale retailers like Tristan and Gap, but there was still Aldo, etc.

The nail in the coffin came with the Zellers/Target fiasco. Zellers had served the community well, offering well priced products for the areas working class demographic. Now with that being said, there was a general buzz in regards to Target, when Target pulled out of Canada, I do not think the mall ownership recovered from a strategic perspective. Fast-forward to 2020, the mall holds a sentiment for many of us in the area, however we are waiting for its ultimate demise, especially with the Woodbine live development across the street.

The opening of Vaughan Mills (2004) and the increased influence of Yorkdale and Sherway Gardens as destination shopping centres have also taken away a chunk of the mall's market. Prior to Vaughan mills, folks from York would travel down HWY 27 as it was the closest mid-sized mall. I don't have all the answers but can only hope for the best.

Locally, the Rexdale Plaza's demolishing and resurrection in 2005 I feel also shifted consumer attention. Wal Mart, Dollarama, EB Games, Payless Shoes,
Plus, the scores of smaller, mom and pop shops that opened in the former Zellers/Towers anchor.

Across the street, stores are continuing to open along Queen's Plate. Most of which, would have been welcomed additions to the Woodbine such as Fortinos,
System Fitness, Mandarin, Staples, Winners, LCBO, and even a Subway Restaurant.

I tried reaching out to the Imagine Cinemas staff. Does anyone know for sure if Imagine Cinemas has left the Woodbine entirely?

Locally, the Rexdale Plaza's demolishing and resurrection in 2005 I feel also shifted consumer attention. Wal Mart, Dollarama, EB Games, Payless Shoes,
Plus, the scores of smaller, mom and pop shops that opened in the former Zellers/Towers anchor.

Across the street, stores are continuing to open along Queen's Plate. Most of which, would have been welcomed additions to the Woodbine such as Fortinos,
System Fitness, Mandarin, Staples, Winners, LCBO, and even a Subway Restaurant.

I tried reaching out to the Imagine Cinemas staff. Does anyone know for sure if Imagine Cinemas has left the Woodbine entirely?

Absolutely a big one, the redevelopment of Rexdale mall. At a broader geographic level, Rexdale Mall, Albion Centre and Westwood Mall have gotten even better at serving their respective communities. With family-owned shops, local food and community services. Woodbine has never been focused on community, it was always a mid-distance destination commerce center for the area at large where folks would drive/transit to get too and spend the day. That whole concept has changed over the past 15 years.

Absolutely a big one, the redevelopment of Rexdale mall. At a broader geographic level, Rexdale Mall, Albion Centre and Westwood Mall have gotten even better at serving their respective communities. With family-owned shops, local food and community services. Woodbine has never been focused on community, it was always a mid-distance destination commerce center for the area at large where folks would drive/transit to get too and spend the day. That whole concept has changed over the past 15 years.
Woodbine mall use to be better than, westwood mall, but now westwood mall is better than woodbine mall.

Westwood has everything a person would need, supermarkets, 4+banks, a gym and smaller shops to get phones and items cheaper. Unlike woodbine which doesnt really have those things. Even westwood mall gotten a renovation unlike woodbine mall. Even tho woodbine mall is a bigger mall and newer mall than westwood.

Also westwood are adding new stores.

20201001_120920.jpg
Screenshot (53).png

To be honest, I was planning to take a trip down to the Woodbine for photos a few days ago. But, these record Covid numbers are just too much at the moment. Especially living in Toronto's East end.

Here's an insightful article from 2019 documenting Woodbine's decline over the years. There's even a comparison chart that compares Woodbine's sales between 2001 and 2011 along with an interview with two employees (one from Lens Crafters and a manager for the Fantasy Fair) who also talk about Woodbine's decline:

The proposed 57 million dollar expansion (from a 2017 interview with Mr. Hinn) originally planned to be completed in 2021 is also brought up.

According to Woodbine's site, these stores are still in operation:

Retailers-Open.jpg

So, as expected, sitting in the food court is off limits while Covid restrictions are in effect.

Does anyone have any photos - even old ones of Woodbine they can post here? I'm getting homesick.

Back