News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 683     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 940     0 

Woodbine Centre

Growing up in Rexdale the early '90's, going to the Woodbine centre used to be something to look forward to
on the weekend. Now, the mall is in a very sad state.

The Cineplex Odeon became Rainbow Cinemas in the mid 2000's which is now "Imagine Cinemas".

Next to Imagine Cinemas (the bottom portion of Zellers) is now a liquidation outlet called "Shop 4 Less"
- which is selling off the last bit of Zeller's inventory. If you ever wanted to see what a nearly empty Zellers
looks like (in which you can walk around in) from the inside, I would suggest taking a visit. I don't think the
liquidation will last much longer.

Other stores that have come and gone (or just relocated) from the Woodbine:
Abacus
(Chinese food restaurant) - was replaced by Sport Chek and now an Italian Restaurant (which just opened).
E.B. Games (which moved and became a Gamestop)
Party Hut (novelty gifts, gag items, costumes and adult toys)
H & K Smokeshop (a kiosk next to the front entrance near the Ferris wheel that sold counterfeit goods)
Music World (which is now a mini Wal-Mart knockoff)
Sunrise Records
Boss Sound
(which was once located near Music World - now relocated to a smaller location)
Doggoneit (a really cool pet store that was located across from the TD Bank)
The Rock Co. (sold rock music t-shirts and apparel)
The General Store (crafts, collectibles and other knickknacks)
McDonald's (which was cleverly located within the Fantasy Fair)
Skyline Games (next to Imagine Cinemas - Which became a Softron Tax and then an Arcade again)
- Up until the mid 2000's, there were a series of Televisions stacked next to the right entrance of this arcade.
The games were Tekken, Mortal Kombat and WWF Wrestlemania - The Arcade Game.
I also remember seeing Tekken 4, Soul Calibur II, Ms. Pac-Man and Time Crisis at certain points.
Update: This arcade is now an empty lot again awaiting it's next makeover.
The Fantasy Fair arcade (which is still standing) used to have plenty of arcade cabinets of games such as
WWF Wrestlefest, Tekken 2 , X-Men & The Simpsons Arcade Game among others.
Garage Clothing (which I think is a Gamestop now)
The Bay - A liquidation now
Sears - Also a liquidation

Let's hope half of the proposed renovation ideas get approved. I don't see major stores making a comeback
at this mall any time soon.

Last edited:
Update:

The Arcade on the ground floor next to the Imagine Cinemas is currently being set up to become a Halloween costume shop.
Most likely a temporary addition until November.

Most of the carpets that were held together with blue tape have just been replaced with new tiles.

Sadly, the Bulk Barn inside Woodbine is also "permanently closing". I would imagine a portion of Zellers on the top floor
being converted into a supermarket is partially responsible for this decision.

It is time to create a new indoor amusement park to compete with Woodbine Mall.

Way behind the times on this post, but I'm vaguely surprised that Oxford isn't trying to do anything like an amusement park at Yorkdale. It obviously conflicts with the current plans for the site, but they are already rather close in scale to a true West Edmonton/Mall of America mega mall type thing, and would be one if they did some kind of waterpark + theme park venture... Possibly by building out what they've got in the works with some modifications and creating a sort of independent facility facing the Dufferin/Wilson intersection while vaulting the highway with something reasonably scaled.

Way behind the times on this post, but I'm vaguely surprised that Oxford isn't trying to do anything like an amusement park at Yorkdale. It obviously conflicts with the current plans for the site, but they are already rather close in scale to a true West Edmonton/Mall of America mega mall type thing, and would be one if they did some kind of waterpark + theme park venture... Possibly by building out what they've got in the works with some modifications and creating a sort of independent facility facing the Dufferin/Wilson intersection while vaulting the highway with something reasonably scaled.
It would be an excellent idea, even with plenty of competition nearby such as Playtime Bowl and the Rinx.

Update:

The Arcade on the ground floor next to the Imagine Cinemas is currently being set up to become a Halloween costume shop.
Most likely a temporary addition until November.

Most of the carpets that were held together with blue tape have just been replaced with new tiles.

Sadly, the Bulk Barn inside Woodbine is also "permanently closing". I would imagine a portion of Zellers on the top floor
being converted into a supermarket is partially responsible for this decision.

Wow, the bulk barn has been their forever. I heard the bulk barn is coming to Westwood square mall. Which Could Mean That The Bulk Barn Is Moving Their, But That Could Be A Rumor. Also, Why Did It Take This Long For Woodbine Mall To Add A Food Market Their, And Also Woodbine Mall Is Lacking A Gym And Needs To Renovate The Store More.

If I'm not mistaken, the most recent version of this sign at the mall doesn't include the Fantasy Fair. I hope they reconsider if that's true; it's seen better days, no question, but it would be a shame to see it go.

The Fantasy Fair Is Very Old And Expense, They Should Renovate Or Tear It Down. The Mall Can Do Better. Also Is That Expansion Even Going To Happen Now, They Were Suppose To Put A Brand New Bus Station In Front Of The Parking Lot Where Fantasy Fair Is. It's A Shame Because Westwood Square Mall In Malton Already Has A Better Renovation, Than Woodbine Mall

Growing up in Rexdale the early '90's, going to the Woodbine centre used to be something to look forward to
on the weekend. Now, the mall is in a very sad state.

The Cineplex Odeon became Rainbow Cinemas in the mid 2000's which is now "Imagine Cinemas".

Next to Imagine Cinemas (the bottom portion of Zellers) is now a liquidation outlet called "Shop 4 Less"
- which is selling off the last bit of Zeller's inventory. If you ever wanted to see what a nearly empty Zellers
looks like (in which you can walk around in) from the inside, I would suggest taking a visit. I don't think the
liquidation will last much longer.

Other stores that have come and gone (or just relocated) from the Woodbine:
Abacus
(Chinese food restaurant) - was replaced by Sport Chek and now an Italian Restaurant (which just opened).
E.B. Games (which moved and became a Gamestop)
Party Hut (novelty gifts, gag items, costumes and adult toys)
H & K Smokeshop (a kiosk next to the front entrance near the Ferris wheel that sold counterfeit goods)
Music World (which is now a mini Wal-Mart knockoff)
Sunrise Records
Boss Sound
(which was once located near Music World - now relocated to a smaller location)
Doggoneit (a really cool pet store that was located across from the TD Bank)
The Rock Co. (sold rock music t-shirts and apparel)
The General Store (crafts, collectibles and other knickknacks)
McDonald's (which was cleverly located within the Fantasy Fair)
Skyline Games (next to Imagine Cinemas - Which became a Softron Tax and then an Arcade again)
- Up until the mid 2000's, there were a series of Televisions stacked next to the right entrance of this arcade.
The games were Tekken, Mortal Kombat and WWF Wrestlemania - The Arcade Game.
I also remember seeing Tekken 4, Soul Calibur II, Ms. Pac-Man and Time Crisis at certain points.
Update: This arcade is now an empty lot again awaiting it's next makeover.
The Fantasy Fair arcade (which is still standing) used to have plenty of arcade cabinets of games such as
WWF Wrestlefest, Tekken 2 , X-Men & The Simpsons Arcade Game among others.
Garage Clothing (which I think is a Gamestop now)
The Bay - A liquidation now
Sears - Also a liquidation

Let's hope half of the proposed renovation ideas get approved. I don't see major stores making a comeback
at this mall any time soon.

McDonald's Was In The Mall, How It Could Of Went To The Food Court

Back