News   Jul 22, 2024
 566     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 462     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 502     0 

Wonders never cease - Svend Robinson "forced to resign

Re: Wonders never cease - Svend Robinson "forced to re

"No. For the simple reason that unlike Sven, those individuals championed nothing but meanspritedness to others who are less fortunate. Given such circumstances, one can hardly expect sympathy."

Congradulations, you are being honest about your hypocracy (just with excuses attached). Fact is... is that we are all making conclusions based on perceptions of who we think he is -- and HALF the story. The only person we have heard from (really) is the person who committed the crime. My "conclusion" of what I think SHOULD happen to him, is based on only HIS side of the story (and being a first offense) -- basically a slap on the wrist. I do not have to know the personal details that he does not want to discuss.... but if he were running again -- the people in his riding might "need" to know.... Because all we know is that he committed a crime, he said it was for reasons that are private and he does not want to discuss in general public [although the crown might need to know], and he was ON VIDEO, and he turned himself in..... Of course if he knew he was ON VIDEO (which we do not know), then the only sensible thing would be to turn himself in, and he is a member of the left.

Hypocracy is the lifeblood of politics [left and right].

cacruden:

Note that however I also think (and mentioned within the thread) he should be charged to the letter of the law. Being sympathetic doesn't mean supporting preferential treatment. The two are separate.

GB

Why charge him? He is volunteering for mental help, corrected his wrong almost immediately, wasn't actually caught doing something wrong, and in the end nobody but himself is harmed by his actions. Laws are to protect people, their property, and the environment. I really don't see how charging him now would improve anything. If he was caught then I would agree to charging him, if the jewelery was not returned, was lost, or sold then I would agree with charging him. If someone was threatened by him during a robbery then I would charge him. But why charge him now?? What would the benefit be?

He broke the criminal law, and should be charged -- all actions after the fact may be used as mitigating factors in sentencing.... He has said that he has mental issues -- but that is comes into affect if it creates a situation that he cannot recognize right from wrong. Also, we still only have his word that it was caused by mental issues -- since he has said the rest is private. Again, after being charged it is up to the crown to decide on whether to go forward.

The owner of the jewellery will not press charges, but it is still possible that Robinson may still face the music.

Apr. 16, 2004. 07:56*PM
Auction house forgives Svend Robinson's theft

Police knew the culprit before MP's teary press conference

BY BRUCE CHEADLE
CANADIAN PRESS
OTTAWA — A Toronto-area auction house says it's satisfied with disgraced MP Svend Robinson's apology for stealing an expensive ring and won't be pressing authorities to lay criminal charges.

Federal Auction Services Inc., of Brampton, Ont., also said today that it had provided RCMP with video evidence of the crime 48 hours before Robinson turned himself in.

"While our client has a zero-tolerance policy towards theft of any kind, FAS accepts Mr. Robinson's apology," a release from Federal Auction Services said.

"At this time, FAS is concerned with the return of or payment for the item taken and does not otherwise intend to pursue the matter. That being said, FAS will co-operate fully with any steps taken by law enforcement authorities."

The decision whether to charge the longtime NDP MP now lies with a special prosecutor appointed today.

Len Doust will make the final decision on charges, B.C. Crown spokesman Geoffrey Gaul said.

"In light of the circumstances and the individual involved there is a significant potential for real or perceived improper influence in the administration of criminal justice, including the charge assessment process," Gaul said.

"Consequently we have appointed an independent special prosecutor."

A special prosecutor was named when former B.C. premier Glen Clark was investigated for breach of trust. Clark was charged but found not guilty.

Robinson, 52, held an emotional news conference Thursday to announce he'd turned himself in to police and given them a stolen ring, following a tortured Easter weekend of self-examination.

The 25-year veteran of federal politics is taking a medical leave from his parliamentary duties after stealing the ring on Good Friday in a moment of "utter irrationality."

Robinson also sent a private letter of apology to Federal Auction Services on Tuesday - the same day he contacted the RCMP in Burnaby, B.C.

The company said it would not release Robinson's letter, adding its "sympathy and concern for him at what must be a very difficult and stressful time."

The theft was noticed immediately, the auction house said. After reviewing video surveillance, the auctioneers contacted RCMP in Richmond, B.C., who had the videotape by Sunday.

"In order to protect the integrity of its investigation, the RCMP requested FAS not communicate with Mr. Robinson or the media about this matter."

Some legal experts say criminal charges may never be laid.

Robinson's pre-emptive public confession, the returned jewelry, and Robinson's personal and professional humiliation are powerful mitigating circumstances for any Crown prosecutor examining the merits of the case.

"If Svend had come to me in my office and he had been charged with the offence, I probably would have recommended he do exactly the same thing," said Heather Perkins-McVey, an Ottawa defence lawyer and past chair of the criminal justice section of the Canadian Bar Association.

"And maybe he got good legal advice over the weekend. I don't know."

"If the auction house is not pushing for a charge to be laid, if they're satisfied with what he has done and his very public acknowledgement of it," she said, "that may be the end of it."

Robinson has retained Toronto lawyer Clayton Ruby to defend his interests, just in case.

Ruby, one of Canada's most accomplished defence lawyers, was hired by NDP MP Lorne Nystrom in 1990 for Nystrom's trial on charges of shoplifting contact lens cleaning tablets worth $7.79.

Nystrom was acquitted - but not before Ruby had introduced expert testimony including a commercial designer who described the lens cleaner packaging and a drugstore owner who talked about his experience with shoplifters.

Federal Auction Services refused to provide a value for the stolen ring or even a description. A spokesman would say only that it bore a round stone.

RCMP in Richmond say they're investigating a case of theft over $5,000.

One former Crown prosecutor, who didn't want to speak on the record, said the high value of the stolen jewelry doesn't work in Robinson's favour, nor does the widespread publicity.

But he agreed the reaction of the auction house will be a significant factor in the Crown's deliberations.

The executive director of a charitable service that helps people in trouble with the law says she's worried Robinson's public profile could influence whether charges are laid.

"My hope would be that the publicity around the event would not cause anybody to change their actual assessment of the harm done and the need to react," said Elizabeth White of the St. Leonard's Society of Canada.

"At the very least, it's a totally appropriate case for some kind of alternative, some kind of diversion process - because of the fact it's resolved already," by the voluntary return of the ring.

Robinson said Thursday he's been suffering "extreme stress and emotional pain" for some time - in part related to a hiking accident that took place in 1997 - and that he "looked forward to full healing and recovery."

Acts of petty criminality are not uncommon among people suffering from extreme stress or depression," said a psychiatry expert at the University of Toronto.

"They relieve their stress and anxiety or they get an instant lift from the depression by acting out in this way, and many of them do not get caught," said Dr. Mark Berber.

"There's lots of guys out there who have problems but because Svend is in the limelight, he gets targeted." Doctors try to find the underlying disorder that prompts the behaviour.

"These shoplifting episodes are usually impulsive and they are usually not a repetitive act," Berber said.

"And usually, as you saw with Svend, he was so overwhelmed and so burdened by the guilt and grief of the incident, that alone would prevent it from occurring again."

He broke the criminal law, and should be charged

But what would the benefit to society be? To prevent people from righting their wrong? Why would he take the ring and the next day try to return it and cry like a baby on the news? I don't think it makes sense to say to the public that "if you steal something, return it immediately in perfect condition without being caught, and make a public spectacle of yourself crying like a baby" you will be charged. Lets make an example of people who would commit such a heinous crime? Who would plan to do something like that? I don't think laws should exist that would convict someone when there was no harm done and no potential for harm to have been done (the second point being a very imporant one). Since the auction house isn't pressing charges it must be satisfied that no harm was done to it. Since he didn't wait a month, a week, or even a few days, I don't think there was potential for harm to be done. Seems like a pointless case. If people at the auction house spent a few hours looking for the missing ring then I would agree that he should repay any damages, but if not... no point really.

I agree, charging him sets precedent. It says: If you've made a mistake, don't breath a word of it to anyone, because it won't help you.

If he admits fault and cooperates with authorities the judge will be much more lenient then if he had been caught later or been uncooperative. He broke the law and has to face the charges against him. The judge is there to set how severe that punishment is.

>But what would the benefit to society be? To prevent people from
>righting their wrong? Why would he take the ring and the next day try
>to return it and cry like a baby on the news?

Many first time offenders cry, does not mean that they are tears of repentence. Tears are typically from shock, of fear of what is going to happen now.

The police had received the evidence 48 hours before he turned himself in. My guess is that knowledge probably made it to him. He called his lawyer. His lawyer recommended that this was the best course of action.

>I don't think it makes sense to say to the public that "if you steal
>something, return it immediately in perfect condition without being
>caught, and make a public spectacle of yourself crying like a baby"
>you will be charged.

Again, he is a public person.... going into hiding is more damaging than going public and appoligizing (better you going public than having the charges go public -- standard PR move).

If you do not like it, change the law. (I never saw him championing these changes)... "Borrowing" somebody elses property (without permission) is OK as long as you return it within x amount of time? Or steal see if you got away with it, if you here something, turn yourself in -- and you get away with "the attempt".

>Lets make an example of people who would commit such a heinous
>crime? Who would plan to do something like that? I don't think laws
>should exist that would convict someone when there was no harm
>done and no potential for harm to have been done (the second point >being a very imporant one). Since the auction house isn't pressing
>charges it must be satisfied that no harm was done to it. Since he
>didn't wait a month, a week, or even a few days

Simple, this is criminal not civil.... in criminal offenses it is not up to the "victim" to lay charges (in Canada). It is the crown that has that decision (for many many reasons). The victim can refuse to co-operate .... which in some cases will kill the crown case.... but the Auction house is not.

>I don't think there was potential for harm to be done. Seems like a
>pointless case.

So you are saying that not all people should be treated equal in front of the court (which is the case -- he has the money for a good lawyer)! Because he was a "generous" person (one who was willing to give away other peoples money), because he was a beloved leader of the left.... he is to be treated differently than someone from a housing project in Toronto. What public good does that serve.

Svend's explanation ‘almost laughable,' jeweller says

Svend Robinson's explanation ‘almost laughable,' jeweller says
Canadian Press

Burnaby, B.C. — A B.C. jeweller who helped Svend Robinson design a diamond ring for partner Max Riveron doesn't buy the MP's explanation that he “snapped†when he pocketed a ring on April 9.

Shahraz Kassam said he helped Mr. Robinson design a diamond ring two days earlier.

“I find the whole thing amazing,†Mr. Kassam told the Canadian Press. “It's almost laughable. He was perfectly fine. He was like any person looking for a nice, special gift.â€

Last Thursday, the long-time New Democrat MP announced in a tear-filled news conference that he had stolen a ring from an auction on April 9. He turned himself into police a few days later, he told reporters.

Mr. Kassam, however, says Mr. Robinson should have told the whole story.

“I think it's important for him to have stood up and say: ‘I was in the market for a diamond,â€' Mr. Kassam said.

“He was looking at a loose diamond,†Mr. Kassam explained. “Him and I sat down and designed a ring . . . which was to get engaged or get married with his partner after 10 years.

“He said he felt (Mr. Riveron) really deserves it.â€

The jeweller said he recommended white gold for the design but Mr. Robinson said Mr. Riveron preferred yellow gold.

The design would have cost about $10,300 but could be valued at up to $25,000, Mr. Kassam said.

Mr. Robinson, 52, met Mr. Riveron while on a visit to Cuba a decade ago.

Mr. Robinson had said in 2001 that he and Mr. Riveron would discuss marriage if same-sex marriage became legal.

The Toronto-based auction house has said it is satisfied with Mr. Robinson's apology for stealing the expensive ring on Good Friday and would not be pressing authorities to lay charges.

Federal Auction Services Inc., of Brampton, Ont., also confirmed Friday that it had provided RCMP with video evidence of the crime 48 hours before Mr. Robinson turned himself in.

The decision whether to charge Mr. Robinson now rests with a special prosecutor appointed Friday.

Mr. Robinson, 52, told the news he had turned himself in to police and relinquished the ring after a tortured Easter weekend of self-examination.

The 25-year veteran of federal politics is taking a medical leave from his parliamentary duties.

Mr. Robinson also sent a private letter of apology to Federal Auction Services on Tuesday — the same day he contacted the RCMP in Burnaby, B.C.

The company said it would not release Mr. Robinson's letter, adding its “sympathy and concern for him at what must be a very difficult and stressful time.â€

The theft was noticed immediately, the auction house said. After reviewing video surveillance, the auctioneers contacted RCMP in Richmond, B.C., who had the videotape by Sunday.

Mr. Robinson has retained Toronto lawyer Clayton Ruby to defend his interests.

Mr. Ruby, one of Canada's most accomplished defence lawyers, was hired by NDP MP Lorne Nystrom in 1990 for Mr. Nystrom's trial on charges of shoplifting contact lens cleaning tablets. Mr. Nystrom was acquitted.

Federal Auction Services refused to provide a value for the stolen ring or even a description. A spokesman would say only that it had a round stone.

An RCMP spokesman said the Richmond detachment is investigating a case of theft over $5,000.

Mr. Robinson said Thursday he's been suffering “extreme stress and emotional pain†for some time — in part related to a hiking accident that took place in 1997 — and that h “looked forward to full healing and recovery.â€

Back