News   Jul 25, 2024
 423     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 562     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 462     0 

Winnipeg gets NHL team!!!

If Winnipeg can supposedly support an NHL team, then so can Halifax. Let's give the east coast a team next.

Winnipeg can't really support an NHL team. The break even point is their main goal. But when you have one of the richest people in the world owning the team, minimal losses are basically pocket change. If Halifax can find a) a rich owner and b) an arena (probably funded by said owner), then by all means, add them to the list.

New Nassau Coliseum referendum fails...and what may happen to the New York Islanders?

Everyone: Are the Winnipeg Jets back?

This will be the second time Atlanta has lost an NHL team to central Canada...

Remember that the Calgary Flames originally were the Atlanta Flames...

WPG is a city that in my opinion should have never lost its NHL franchise...

I now wonder about the fate of our own NY Islanders franchise because owner Charles Wang wants a new building to replace the Nassau Coliseum or the team may move...there is a referendum scheduled for a vote later this year in Nassau County to authorize
a smaller scale development then the Lighthouse Complex which will include a new arena...and mentioned that taxpayers will have to foot part of this bill up front for future repayment I believe...

If this referendum fails will the Islanders move? It could happen...LI MIKE

EVERYONE: This referendum was held yesterday-August 1st-and it did not pass...

I believe the percentage vote in this low-turnout referendum was 60 percent against
and 40 percent for...

Islanders owner Charles Wang is going to honor the Nassau Coliseum lease that is currently in force and expires in mid 2015...after that he may move or sell the team...

Thoughts include a new Queens arena or maybe moving to the new Atlantic Yards
arena in Brooklyn being built to accommodate the NBA Nets moving over from NJ...

But-if all this fails...a move to Hamilton would have to be a thought...

Remember when I mentioned the "Hamilton Islanders"?
It may not be so far-fetched after all...

LI MIKE

Hard to say what will happen. There will be a new CBA in four years, and who knows what the economic situation will be then. I heard today the new arena in Brooklyn only seats 13,000 for hockey, so that's out.

If the Isles can't stay where they are, I hope the league contracts them. 30 team leagues are just too unwieldy, and only the NFL has both the financial strength and the appropriate business model to pull that off.

Back