News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 420     0 

Wilshire on the Green Condos (Norstar Group) - Real Estate -

Why don't you all get this?

Mango made a pile of complaints. Then Mango said she was going to get a lawyer. Then all of the post disappeared, other than the whitewashed "Love is.." one which appeared.

Here's what you can deduce: Mango's lawyer swung her a deal that if she removed all of the complaints (obviously valid) about Norstar, they would meet her demands. She was bought off.

That of course does not change the fact that Norstar seems to be a very unscrupulous builder, and my hypothesis, if you believe it, would pretty much confirm it.

Norstar came to this town with no end of trouble with "The Star of Downtown". It seems that they may have improved their game a bit here, but they haven't learned every lesson yet.

If you bought here, be very wary of Norstar.

Pdi

Hi All,

I did my pdi late last week and just got a chance to report in. As previous people mentioned Tony was great and was very patient Stairway had a lot of lighting and was very bright.

From my pdi there were a few things that still needed to be done.
Sanding and repainting all the walls and trim
Touch up on the ceiling paint
re-laying of the carpet in the master bedroom - it started lifting
screen door on the patio door to the balcony needed replacing (wouldnt have noticed if I didnt walk out onto the balcony).

All of the above shouldnt be an issue for them to fix. One thing that bothered me after my pdi that I didnt make a bigger issue was the countertop. On the breakfast bar side of the counter top, the end piece was not flush to the adjacent wall and it looked wierd to me. Tony said they would fix it but I'm not sure it would look good or how they would fix but I didnt press the matter. The other note was that it looked like it was on a angle, he said they would fix it as well and made a note of both on the form. I'm bothered more that I didnt make a bigger deal out of it than I should have....at least I have the 30 day report to put it in if it still doesnt look good once I move in.

Can anyone else who has either seen a model suite or done their pdi remember if the breakfast bar side of their countertop was flush against any wall that was near it? especially if there is an adjacent wall?

Other things I noticed - floors looked great, windows were big and allowed plenty of light into the unit. Bathrooms and laundry rooms were a decent size in my opninion.

Also, I'm not sure but I thought Tony mentioned that they applied for registration already (not sure if that's possible or not) but the hour felt like 5 mins and it was a blur.

Why don't you all get this?

Mango made a pile of complaints. Then Mango said she was going to get a lawyer. Then all of the post disappeared, other than the whitewashed "Love is.." one which appeared.

Here's what you can deduce: Mango's lawyer swung her a deal that if she removed all of the complaints (obviously valid) about Norstar, they would meet her demands. She was bought off.

That of course does not change the fact that Norstar seems to be a very unscrupulous builder, and my hypothesis, if you believe it, would pretty much confirm it.

Norstar came to this town with no end of trouble with "The Star of Downtown". It seems that they may have improved their game a bit here, but they haven't learned every lesson yet.

If you bought here, be very wary of Norstar.

I hear what you are saying. However, why would Norstar care about her threats? After all, most of the posts on these forums have been critical of the builder and Norstar does not move that quickly on anything. Also, I remember Mango saying that she happened to be driving by, saw lights in her unit, went in to investigate and stumbled upon an open house with folks with snow-covered boots walking all over the carpets.

Later, someone else said that the open houses only started a week later and there was supervision of the guests - including the removal of boots, etc.

Here is my hypotheses. Maybe, the story Mango told was a little "inflated" and she was "advised" by Norstar's lawyers to address it. It's also possible that after the posting and after it became clear which condo belonged to Mango, she feared reprisals from the Norstar and quickly called a truce. After all, Norstar as now in a position to determine who what actually making the allegations.

Hey, if you are right, I owe u a coffee at Tim's and vice versa

Hey all

Thanks for the report xponis,that would be amazing if they have applied for registration already, that's a big money saver,did tony say if there was a chance of delay? When do u move in? And Wat floor? Are they still doing 4 moves a day? As micheal told me? But overall it seems your pdi went well with minor problems,and exactly what was wrong with the balcony door? Did u see the common areas eg balcony party room?

Hi All,

I did my pdi late last week and just got a chance to report in. As previous people mentioned Tony was great and was very patient Stairway had a lot of lighting and was very bright.

screen door on the patio door to the balcony needed replacing (wouldnt have noticed if I didnt walk out onto the balcony).

All of the above shouldnt be an issue for them to fix. One thing that bothered me after my pdi that I didnt make a bigger issue was the countertop. On the breakfast bar side of the counter top, the end piece was not flush to the adjacent wall and it looked wierd to me. Tony said they would fix it but I'm not sure it would look good or how they would fix but I didnt press the matter. The other note was that it looked like it was on a angle, he said they would fix it as well and made a note of both on the form. I'm bothered more that I didnt make a bigger deal out of it than I should have....at least I have the 30 day report to put it in if it still doesnt look good once I move in.

Can anyone else who has either seen a model suite or done their pdi remember if the breakfast bar side of their countertop was flush against any wall that was near it? especially if there is an adjacent wall?

Other things I noticed - floors looked great, windows were big and allowed plenty of light into the unit. Bathrooms and laundry rooms were a decent size in my opninion.

Also, I'm not sure but I thought Tony mentioned that they applied for registration already (not sure if that's possible or not) but the hour felt like 5 mins and it was a blur.

xponis, This is great valuable info. Thx very much for the heads-up. I have mine at the end of the month. I will definitely keep these issues in mind.

Typical conditions to be fulfilled prior to condo registration:

1. That all provisions of the Site Plan Agreement dated ________ between the Owner and the City of Toronto, be fulfilled to the satisfaction of the City, or that satisfactory arrangements have been made for completion.
  2. That the City receive and accept the following certificates prior to registration of the Condominium:
    • A certificate from the Owner’s architect stating that all buildings have been substantially complted in accordance with plans contained in the Site Plan Agreement dated ________ and in accordance with the Building Code;
    • A certificate from the Owner’s engineer stating that all grading, drainage, above and below ground services, fencing, sodding, stormwater management requirements, asphalt paving and demarcation of parking spaces have been substantially complied in accordance with the plan and conditions in said Site Plan Agreement, as amended, or that satisfactory arrangements have been made for completion;
    • A certificate from the Owner’s landscape architect stating that all landscaping has been installed and completed in accordance with the landscaping plans and conditions in the said Site Plan Agreement or that satisfactory arrangements have been made for completion;
  3. That prior to final approval, the Owner shall:
    • Arrange inspections of the on-site works with the Engineering and Design Departments, and shall rectify any outstanding deficiencies related to the approved plans to the satisfaction of the City;
    • Submit the condominium declaration, easement documents and corss use / maintenance agreement(s) to the City for review;
    • Pay any outstanding taxes owing to the City;
    • Pay any outstanding local improvement charges owing against the subject lands

The municipality really has no interest / does not care how many units in a condo the builder sells ~

Excellent to know! Thanks Solaris.

I guess that explains the "rent" we'll have to pay to Norstar as well then. If Norstar has to pay taxes to the city for the time they hold the building before registration, that is what our moula will be going towards.

Does anyone know, on average, how long it takes from the time the proprietor closes to the time the building is registered? I've heard 6 -12 months.

Hi Xponis,

I had the same issue with my breakfast bar. You're right, the breakfast bar is supposed to be flush with the adjacent wall. Apparently the issue of my bar is still being discussed by Norstar and the kitchen people. I'll let you know if I hear anything from them.

To answer your question, I checked out a couple of the model suites just to compare and they both had breakfast bars that were flush with the wall. That is definitely a builder mistake.

Hi All,

Anybody care to make a friendly wager? LOL! I'll take some of that Timmie's action.

I'm with Batman. She lawyered up and got some freebies on the condition that she removed her old posts and added the "Love is Norstar" version.

I hear what you are saying. However, why would Norstar care about her threats? After all, most of the posts on these forums have been critical of the builder and Norstar does not move that quickly on anything. Also, I remember Mango saying that she happened to be driving by, saw lights in her unit, went in to investigate and stumbled upon an open house with folks with snow-covered boots walking all over the carpets.

Later, someone else said that the open houses only started a week later and there was supervision of the guests - including the removal of boots, etc.

Here is my hypotheses. Maybe, the story Mango told was a little "inflated" and she was "advised" by Norstar's lawyers to address it. It's also possible that after the posting and after it became clear which condo belonged to Mango, she feared reprisals from the Norstar and quickly called a truce. After all, Norstar as now in a position to determine who what actually making the allegations.

Hey, if you are right, I owe u a coffee at Tim's and vice versa

Well today I got a letter from norstar aka delay ,my pdi has been pushed back from mid feb to mid march,I'm not surprised thou,anyone else get a letter about your pdi delay? And what floor? Mine was 5th floor

Well, atleast Norstar pushed forward your pdi. Ours, we have not received our PDI schedule and we are in the 3rd floor and our tentative moving date is on the 18th of March. No worries here considering we already seen our unit and took pictures.
I guess those of you who had their pdis, your units are in the 2nd floor. Taking the look of the 2nd floor, the entire floor is not fully finished. There is already a tear in the wall paper in the hallway.

Regarding the bet, I'll go with Koff. I was in the model suite 1 week before the open house. Her claim is bit outrageous. Too bad, someone has to have an awful experience with Norstar.

Last edited:
I'm almost 100% sure that if they delay the tentative move in date you have the option of pulling out and taking your deposit back - which is what norstar is most likely hoping for.

The way they're working out the timing is strange... Hopefully we'll all be in soon - C.

Hey all

Thanks for the report xponis,that would be amazing if they have applied for registration already, that's a big money saver,did tony say if there was a chance of delay? When do u move in? And Wat floor? Are they still doing 4 moves a day? As micheal told me? But overall it seems your pdi went well with minor problems,and exactly what was wrong with the balcony door? Did u see the common areas eg balcony party room?

Hi one eye,

I'm new to the condo purchase so I didnt ask any follow up questions as I was not informed but all he said was that they applied for it. I move in on March 22nd and I'm on the 3rd floor. I'm not sure how many people are moving in a day. I should have clarified, the screen door was ripped but I didnt notice until I actually went on the floor and looked from the outside. No, I didnt get a chance to see the balcony or party room.

What floor and when is your move in date?

xponis, This is great valuable info. Thx very much for the heads-up. I have mine at the end of the month. I will definitely keep these issues in mind.

No problem Koff...I'm interested to hear how all of your pdi's go as well.

Hi Xponis,

I had the same issue with my breakfast bar. You're right, the breakfast bar is supposed to be flush with the adjacent wall. Apparently the issue of my bar is still being discussed by Norstar and the kitchen people. I'll let you know if I hear anything from them.

To answer your question, I checked out a couple of the model suites just to compare and they both had breakfast bars that were flush with the wall. That is definitely a builder mistake.

Thanks for the info bloomingsmurf! It definately looked off to me and I will be sure to put it down on my 30 day form and have them fix it. I'm also extremely interested how Norstar handles your situation, hopefully they do the right thing and fix it. I appreciate you sharing what you hear from them. Do you recall what Tony said when you raised the issue? was it writted down on your pdi form?

Back