News   Mar 28, 2024
 168     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Wilshire on the Green Condos (Norstar Group) - Real Estate -

I agree with you entirely; security should be a top priority. By having security 24/7, it will stop unauthorized individuals from entering the building, will ensure home owners are accessing the library and exercise room and not their friends, keep the building secure and not to mention piece of mind. If we elect not to have security in place, we are opening our selves up to the risk and possibility of paying large sums of money if the building is vandalized, damaged and repairs are required. From an investment perspective, a building that has security could yield a better resale value than a building without. The cost to have security in place equates to about the cost of a daily cup of coffee. I for one, if confronted with coffee or security, my decision is an easy one to make.

I have to say, I really do not need the need for security. The fact there was no concierge was actually a selling point for me when I purchased. It seems to be an unnecessary waste of money. As in a house, owners need to have proper security measures in your unit, and be appropriately insured.

With regards to the computers in the library, why are they there in the first place? Likely everyone has computers in their home. So far, the only people I have seen using the library are youth/kids, I am guessing looking for time away from parents. I really think the space should be rethought.

Does anyone else see that perhaps angry is exactly that "angry" and ruled by emotion. As soon as Northy posts a different opinion ....out comes the accusation they work for Norstar.. sheesh angry get help!

I just like INEBG and MBS - GURU have had a decent experience and agree things need to be worked out... but angry YOU WILL NEVER BE HAPPY NO MATTER WHAT NORSTAR does...

I noticed you deleted your post where you claim to be a paralegal working at some fancy law firm...wahy did you take it down? Perhaps the law firm told you to take it down or you figgured out that trying to scare everyone on this forum and bully them into YOUR way didn't work...

Just for everyone's knowledge here's angry's deleted post from 10:50 pm on Thursday the 22nd

“I am not a lawyer. I am a licenced Paralegal working with one of Toronto’s leading litigation law firms (www.falconercharney.com). I have worked in this field for 18 years.

I am disgusted and angry at the way in which this building was constructed, internally and externally. We received NOTHING that they promised us. From their “state of the art root top terrace” (full of weeds and cracked tiles, which are uneven and badly fitted), to their “grand lobby design” (a few pieces of mismatched furniture”) to their state of the art security (I was able to enter the building’s mechanical room tonight- and took photos), to having us occupy when they didn’t have a Fire Safety Plan implemented (reason why fire alarm went off for 5 hours on June 23!), I have personally entered through the doors adjacent to the lobby (no need for a FOB!), on many occasions (Karen Sheriff said the “pressure” in the building is pushing the doors open!), better pray that one of the many doors on the roof top terrace is left opened if you go out there - as there is no intercom or phone – so if the doors lock – you are stuck out there until someone comes! The camera in the gym has no coverage of the front doors- where you need a FOB to enter or the side door leading from the patio! What is the purpose?

All of our units were badly constructed and we all fought with them to fix our deficiencies.

They “forced” us to occupy when 60% of this building was still under construction. Screw our safety and the safety of our children! As long as your unit has head and water – the city says you can occupy! Doesn’t matter that the structure isn’t complete! We dealt with months of dust in our units, daily noise from their construction machine and the flurry of activity from their crew. When we should be settling in to our new home! That didn’t happen! Instead we were all involved with Norstar trying to get our issues fixed. Then they tell you to go through Tarion. Did you know that before Tarion comes out they require a 282.50 deposit!? If they find no deficiencies they keep your deposit. If they find outstanding issues – they grant the builder another 30 days! They have 5 months to fix the deficiencies.

Now on to more serious issues – THIS BUILDING CANNOT BE REGISTERED.

Here is why:

There are several serious structural issues that need to be fixed before they turn this over to us – it’s like someone handing you a live grenade and telling you to dispense of it!

There are several areas in the staircases where there are leaks. Despite this being the reason the fire alarm was triggered on June 23, 2011 (and it was reported in April!), they have taken no steps to fix this issue. The underground garage is literally falling apart. There are several areas where there are leaks. They are doing patch work!! This is a huge concern! Water left untreated leads to mould. Mould causes cancer. If this becomes a huge concern – the City can step in and take drastic measures. Furthermore even though they have a year to fix deficiencies – we still have the winter and spring to contend with! This will only become worse.

The safety concerns – we are already dealing with broken down elevators! This is an 8 month old building! How many times has it broken down??? What’s to come?

All of the doors are left opened because I personally believe they used recycled materials. I have lived in apartment buildings that had tighter security.

The ventilation in the hallways - this is another issue. Every month since taking occupancy we have averaged a 130.00 hydro bill. In the summer we had extremely hot air seeping into our unit from the hallways spiking our air conditioner. In the second week of September we had extremely cold air seeping through our door. They never sealed out doors- I have pictures showing this. I don’t understand why the air in the hallways change with the temperature in outside. What happens in the winter? Will we walk into freezing cold hallways?

They have placed a gas barbeque on the rooftop. This was to be a “private bbq” – whatever that means. The bbq is hooked up directly to the buildings gas line!!! If someone inadvertently leaves this turned on and a lit cigarette is recklessly thrown towards it –we risk a huge explosion and loss of life. This is extremely serious! There is no lock, no key is required, no release is required, etc. As long as it is free – anyone can use it!

In every stairwell is an outlet that is badly fitted –they actually stuck paper in it!!!! I have pictures that will shock you! Please take a look at the outlets in the staircases. These pictures were all taken in September!!! They have left the building – they are not coming back for a year – if they come back.

All the carpets are already worn and are fraying. Do you have any idea what it will cost to replace these? Who do you think pays for that? They are hoping that we will pay for it because it won’t last a year! The garage will crumble! We will have to replace it. We will see our maintenance fees sky rocket once this building is registered.

We have no security – we have no manager on site after 4. We have a cleaning staff that leaves at 1. What the hell are we paying for?????

The machines in the gym are already falling apart. For months I have asked for cleaning solution – a simple cheap item to purchase. What are they doing with our money?????

I can go on- but we need to act –and we need to do something – we can’t sit back and allow them to get away with this.”

Stop posting and work within the Tarion warrenty

Hey folks,

Nice to see that your building is being registered. I thought the paralegal said that the building COULD NOT BE REGISTERED. By the way, Angry hasn't told us about the outcome of her lawsuit against Norstar. Angry, how did it go? Who won? Does anyone know how easy is it to find out about the outcome of such lawsuits? Would a lawyer be able to look it up? I assume that these are public records that anyone can access. I am sure many people here would also like to know. I checked falconer's website, but it's not there.

I have to say, I really do not need the need for security. The fact there was no concierge was actually a selling point for me when I purchased. It seems to be an unnecessary waste of money. As in a house, owners need to have proper security measures in your unit, and be appropriately insured.

With regards to the computers in the library, why are they there in the first place? Likely everyone has computers in their home. So far, the only people I have seen using the library are youth/kids, I am guessing looking for time away from parents. I really think the space should be rethought.

I'm not sure I agree with your argument re. not having security INEBG and your referring to it as an "unnecessary waste of money". Living in a condominium is nothing like living in a house. I have lived in both situations and most recently have spent 10 years living in a condo.When I was living in a house I could monitor who was going onto my property and deal with it.

I don't have that kind of control at Wilshire. I am at the mercy of the behaviour of the other residents in the building and individuals they allow in. Once an individual enters the building they are in fact on my property and it is little comfort to me that I have a security system and insurance for my unit in case they are vandalised. Unknown individuals (residents? visitors?) have caused and will continue to cause problems re.the common areas eg. vandalism in the parking, theft from the library, improper use of the exercise room. They will continue to disturb the residents as has been the case with out-of-control parties late into the night in the party room. The behaviour of these individuals poses a risk to my individual safety/security and that of my unit.

Having security in the building would address these issues. Visitors would need to gain proper entry into the building using the intercom or else report to the concierge , people could not just slip in behind someone else entering, if there are any problems in any area of the building the security guard would be there to deal with the issue or call someone who could. The property manager is only on-site a very limited amount of time and when she is not what do you do?

With regards to your second point, I do agree that perhaps we should consider another use for the library room. What that might be I'm not sure.

Kooch

I agree with Kooch 100%

I agree with everything Kooch says about security and how condo security is so very different from home owners' security needs.

I have a friend who lives downtown and her building has a 24/7 concierge/security guard which she said costs $70,000.00/year. Split amoungst all our units, 12 times a year, the cost per unit would be minimal for us and our peace of mind would be more than worth it.

Also, at my friend's condo, people who rent the party room are required to pay for a security guard from the condo's firm: which means that no raucous parties get out of control and no noise is made after midnight. I think this would be a great idea to protect the vast majority of residents' peace of mind when those few people decide to use the party room, and it would come at no cost to us either.

About the library, I don't know what better use could be made of it - I would never use a sauna. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
In my opinion the library is a beautiful retreat that adds finesse and elegance to the building. It is a place were reading by the fireplace, utilizing the PC or your own individual laptop is very much appreciated, while simultaneously increasing the real estate value. The issue with not having security; the library is currently being used as a playground, a place to hang out and eat, as well as non residents not accompanied by residents to party in. If and when security is in place, the library as well as the adjacent fitness facilities could be properly monitored ensuring that residents are adhering to the buildings rules.

More Reasons For Security Guards!

In my opinion the library is a beautiful retreat that adds finesse and elegance to the building. It is a place were reading by the fireplace, utilizing the PC or your own individual laptop is very much appreciated, while simultaneously increasing the real estate value. The issue with not having security; the library is currently being used as a playground, a place to hang out and eat, as well as non residents not accompanied by residents to party in. If and when security is in place, the library as well as the adjacent fitness facilities could be properly monitored ensuring that residents are adhering to the buildings rules.

The people who are using the library like another party room or an extension of their living room know neither what a library is; nor how one has to behave in a condo! This is a shame, we should do something about it... get security guards!

Happy New Year!

I have also heard that some folks are running home businesses in the complex - accounting, paralegal, etc. Maybe, a security guard is needed to keep tabs on all these clients entering and leaving the building. Once the condo board is formed, it should ensure that such businesses have the adequate liability insurance to compensate for potential damages to the common elements as well as to personal property and individual residents. After all, these are strangers that the business owners are meeting for the first time.

Maybe, these business owner should meet clients at the coffee shop and not have them roaming in and out of the building.

I Hadn't Thought of that Tim Horton!

I hadn't thought about people running home businesses out of the condo.

We could make it a rule once we have a board elected to prevent people from running any type of home business based in their unit, but could we enforce it, even with security guards?

Hopefully paralegals do not ever bring criminal (or other) clients to their "offices"/homes!!! :(

It's against the established condo bylaws to run a business at Wilshire. Security does not enforce this, condo management and the board enforces this through fines.

Hey Folks, I heard that some people have already completed their final closing. How was the process? Were your closing costs less than/in line/more than expected? Any surprises?

Tim

Hey Folks, I heard that some people have already completed their final closing. How was the process? Were your closing costs less than/in line/more than expected? Any surprises?

Tim

Hey Tim,

We closed last week - the final closing cost was right about where I had expected it to be. It will really depend on several things, including if you're a first-time buyer (in which case you'll get a partial refund / rebate on the land transfer taxes), and whether your lawyer managed to reduce the original education / developmental levy amount of $7500. You'll also be asked to provide 6 post-dated cheques for the maintenance fees, for Feb - Jul 2012. There were also some other adjustment costs that made sense to me, so there were no major surprises, thank goodness.

I was under the impression that everyone had closed last week. What's your date?
Cheers

Final Closing

Hey Tim,

We closed last week - the final closing cost was right about where I had expected it to be. It will really depend on several things, including if you're a first-time buyer (in which case you'll get a partial refund / rebate on the land transfer taxes), and whether your lawyer managed to reduce the original education / developmental levy amount of $7500. You'll also be asked to provide 6 post-dated cheques for the maintenance fees, for Feb - Jul 2012. There were also some other adjustment costs that made sense to me, so there were no major surprises, thank goodness.

I was under the impression that everyone had closed last week. What's your date?
Cheers

Thx Nels_TO,

That is some good information you provided. My cousin lives in the building and his date is next week, I think. I am still thinking about buying one of the remaining units.

Tim

How much were the 1+1s sold for in the beginning?
Thanks

Hi Hibbing,

According to a April 24, 2008 Toronto Star online article : http://www.thestar.com/article/417236
The smallest unit, at 540 sq ft, was being sold for $169,900. This was very likely for a 1-bedroom unit.

Another online article, posted on Feb 09 2009: http://www.thestar.com/article/582550
listed the 1-bdrm for the same price, $169,900. This was during the most recent recession, causing the asking price to remain flat.

It seems that the going rate per square footage was a little above $300/sq ft. This has now risen to over $400 sq ft.

I hope this helps.

Back