News   Apr 19, 2024
 537     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 609     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

*Wild* Plants of Toronto

Photo taken May 16. 2021:

Foam Flower, a native plant, in Taylor Creek Park (not yet in bloom)

1621209566263.png

Also, I showed Blue Cohosh above, just as it comes out in spring, a dark purple colour; this is that same plant, in leaf now:

1621209756396.png

As I was passing along the bridge over Rosedale Valley Road yesterday, I saw something many of you might not see all that often; though it happens in forests with some regularity.

In the photo below you will see this tree is being harassed..........and in fact killed the vine that is all over it.

The vine is a native plant........its wild grape. As grape climbs the trees, the leaves of the grape actually shade the leaves of the tree, cutting off its ability to photosynthesize properly.

As the tree weakens, the weight of the grape vines eventually pulls it over.

1621912788990.png

It needs to be said that this is a natural process; and grape doesn't take down whole forests; though it can sometimes wreak havoc over a decent sized chunk of land.

Here is a close up of the grape leaves on this tree:

1621913651231.png

I hate that stuff! When we bought our small farm, it had been let go for several years and the vines had really latched onto some trees. It is not particularly selective but seemed to favour cherry and some conifers. I spend many hours trying to rip it out - including using the tractor, but sometimes if it was well established in the tree it was impossible and, even if I could, the tree was often badly misshapened. The vine is incredibly strong, particularly when it get to about an inch or so in diameter. The military should really latch onto this stuff!

@DSC 's good friend 'The Fixer' just wrote one of his silliest columns ever...............

Trying to spark mass panic about Cow Parsnip.

This plant, which is native, looks similar to Giant Hogweed, over which there is similar hyperbole.

The idea that if you barely rub up against the plant you face extreme danger is so unreasonable as to be comical.

Its certainly not impossible you may get an adverse reaction; but severe outcomes are very, very rare.

Toronto's natural areas are filled with a variety of plants more likely to cause you problems.

I dare not list them for fear 'The Fixer' will want 20% of the plants in Toronto removed.

I want to be clear, I am very sympathetic to people who have faced the most serious outcomes from assorted plant interactions.

In the case of Wild Parsnip/Cow Parsnip or Giant Hogweed the reactions in worst cases can be very serious. The severe outcomes arise out of getting the sap
that is inside the plant, on your skin; and then going exposing, your unwashed skin to the sun. (2nd degree chemical burns, and possibly, if you get it in your eyes, blindness)

Its horrible, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But if you wanted to eradicate all the plants that could cause you serious harm, you'd have to wipe out dozens of native species.

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that simply brushing up against Cow Parsnip is risk-free; but in most circumstances, its fairly close.

Its the sap inside the plant that is a serious risk.

Typically, you would only be exposed to that if you broke the plant open, or fell on it.

At any rate.........

I couldn't begin to list every plant that could harm by means of exposure or ingestion.........

But I hope no one tells the Fixer about Poison Ivy, or Poison Sumac or Poison Oak, or Virginia Creeper or Wisteria, or Water Hemlock or...... you get the idea.....

PS; while most of us, myself included, will not follow good guidance all the time; it really is wise, if hiking into a natural area, where some contact with plants is to be expected ( narrow foot path etc), wear pants, wear long sleeves; don't touch what you can't identify.

In most cases, not following that guidance won't get you in trouble...........but sometimes.........it will.

Last edited:
@DSC 's good friend 'The Fixer' just wrote one of his silliest columns ever...............

Trying to spark mass panic about Cow Parsnip.

This plant, which is native, looks similar to Giant Hogweed, over which there is similar hyperbole.

The idea that if you barely rub up against the plant you face extreme danger is so unreasonable as to be comical.

Its certainly not impossible you may get an adverse reaction; but severe outcomes are very, very rare.

Toronto's natural areas are filled with a variety of plants more likely to cause you problems.

I dare not list them for fear 'The Fixer' will want 20% of the plants in Toronto removed.

I want to be clear, I am very sympathetic to people who have faced the most serious outcomes from assorted plant interactions.

In the case of Wild Parsnip/Cow Parsnip or Giant Hogweed the reactions in worst cases can be very serious. The severe outcomes arise out of getting the sap
that is inside the plant, on your skin; and then going exposing, your unwashed skin to the sun. (2nd degree chemical burns, and possibly, if you get it in your eyes, blindness)

Its horrible, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But if you wanted to eradicate all the plants that could cause you serious harm, you'd have to wipe out dozens of native species.

I wouldn't go so far as to suggestion that simply brushing up against Cow Parsnip is risk-free; but in most circumstances, its fairly close.

Its the sap inside the plant that is a serious risk.

Typically, you would only be exposed to that if you broke the plant open, or fell on it.

At any rate.........

I couldn't begin to list every plant that could harm by means of exposure or ingestion.........

But I hope no one tells the Fixer about Poison Ivy, or Poison Sumac or Poison Oak, or Virginia Creeper or Wisteria, or Water Hemlock or...... you get the idea.....

PS; while most of us, myself included, will not follow good guidance all the time; it really is wise, if hiking into a natural area, where some contact with plants is to be expected ( narrow foot path etc), wear pants, wear long sleeves; don't touch what you can't identify.

In most cases, not following that guidance won't get you in trouble...........but sometimes.........it will.

And shoes (not sandals).

For many, nature is to be feared and controlled.

Spring in action in Toronto's ravines, w/nature coming to life.

Photos taken April 16-20, 2022:

Bloodroot about to flower:

DSC07209.JPG

Bloodroot in Flower

DSC07233.JPG

An Ostrich Fern beginning to stretch out:

DSC07234.JPG

First Trillium I've seen on its way up, no flower just yet....

DSC07212.JPG

Blue Cohosh emerging:

DSC07213.JPG

Finally, some Wild Leeks (ramps)

DSC07216.JPG

Back