613     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

*Wild* Plants of Toronto

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
For some time now, we've had a thread called the Toronto Tree Thread discussing trees and forests, and I answer some questions where possible.

I thought this was a logical extension of that; except that I will cover all types of plants found in Toronto's wild areas.

I asterisked the word *wild* in order to convey that I will look at native and non-native plants alike, and even the odd garden escapee.

I ask that people bear with me on questions, as I am not botanist by trade, or anything close (never went to school for plants at all); I'm just knowledgeable.

But I will endeavour to answer questions were I can.

Plants writ-large, being a much larger class than trees alone, there are lots more holes in my knowledge!

Content will be begin with post #2

Spring has sprung.........and things are starting to come to life in Toronto's forests.

Here are a few I've noticed so far, as at March 30th, 2021 (photos are all by me, from this March)

Lets start with a picture I posted in the GO Construction Thread, from Small's Creek Ravine.

This has 2 plants in it.

The prominent yellow flower, a native plant, 'Marsh Marigold'.

This spring wildflower is an ephemeral, meaning it disappears as the weather gets warmer.

It grows, not surprisingly, in marshes and more specifically in muck.

Its not a full-on aquatic plant; but needs quite a bit of moisture.

1617148853497.png

More detail on this plant here:

But what's that around it?

Its a non-native plant......that also quite likes water.........Its native to Eurasia.

Its......Watercress.

I strongly advise against eating any from a natural area, both because it sets a bad example, but also because one can't know what its in the water in which it is growing.

Also, needless to say, there is a serious risk of misidentifying a plant; that could have serious consequences!

More on this plant here:

Last edited:
In today's forest walk, I also encountered the following 2 non-natives; you might recognize from your garden:

1617150974638.png

The above are Daffodils.

The conspicuous leaf below belongs to a Tulip.

1617151025256.png

Neither of these are highly invasive; but both annoyingly persist and may spread a bit in natural areas.

More than likely, they were planted by someone at some point, but there was a household garden not too far away that they might have escaped from.

Last edited:
One more non-native, invasive for today.

A rather pretty one; but also quite the pest as it can dominate a forest floor, and its a very persistent (hard to get rid of ) plant:

1617151237584.png

Snow drop.

For more info:

Finally for today; a good-news plant.

A native plant that's moderately rare in the Toronto area and endangered in much of North America.

Its quite tasty too, but please don't pick it unless you grow your own.

If buying from a Farmer's market, be sure to inquire about sustainable sourcing.

Wild Leek or Ramp.

1617151508490.png

For more info:

Thanks for this Forum Page! I'm a bit of a plant nerd, but not to the extent that you are. And I know the native plants of Oxford County far better than here.

More plants appearing as spring unfolds.

First, this native ground cover; Virginia Waterleaf.

1617885567019.png

Then, this non-native, invasive that many find quite pretty, called Scilla:

1617885670993.png

Finally, a lovely native wildflower and spring ephemeral (the flower will be gone by the time there are leaves on the trees)

1617885780754.png

Photos taken April 10th, 2021:

A wonderful native plant, Blue Cohosh is just arising:

1618086770417.png

The light green leaves in the upper portion of this pic are Wild Ginger (native):

1618086839229.png

While this, is a Trillium (not in flower yet, obviously!)

1618086904168.png

Finally, an Ostrich Fern is making its was into the world:

1618087331054.png

Last edited:
Trout Lily

A native spring ephemeral (it appears early and is mostly gone by the time the trees are leafed out).

1618780699163.png

1618780719845.png

From a distance, you may not see the flowers, as this is a small plant, close to the ground. Here is a small colony of them emerging:

1618780797203.png

Today a native Wild Flower and Spring Ephemeral I'm particularly fond of.........

Red Trillium (taken April 18th, 2021)

1618879443016.png

Also, another native, May Apple:

1618879498311.png

May Apple develop their flower, then fruit underneath the umbrella leaf.

So, I walked Etobicoke Creek yesterday from Marie Curtis Park to the QEW.

In the course of that trip I saw some good things; some bad things.

Lets start w/the bad.

A 'new' non-native invasive. Its not on any of the lists yet.

I had to consult some experts.

1619491579516.png

This rather pretty plant is Corydalis solida; colloquially 'Bird in a Bush'.

European; a garden escapee that owns several acres of forest floor!

On the upside,

I also saw as much Trout Lily as I've seen anywhere, which is a gorgeous native that I've documented above.

You are a wealth of information, sir. Observing the natural world that surrounds us makes getting out during Covid more fulfilling. Other than Trilliums here, I don't much notice what's underfoot - I'm more into birds.

I decided to blow off work this afternoon and get some much needed sunshine. Spent an hour in Crothers Woods which is the forest below Thorncliffe and Leaside, along the northern slope (southern face) of the Don Valley.

Saw quite a few things, will catalog most over in the photo thread.

But here's a plant I haven't yet showcased this year:

1620337817624.png

This guy is Wild Geranium.

I have discussed Mayapple and Trillium...........but I can't resist throwing in a nice shot of a health colony.

For anyone who wants to know the exact spot, I'd be happy to share, but I wouldn't want to publicize it lest they get trampled!

1620338008399.png

BlogTO has a write-up on Giant Hogweed.................a non-native plant which can, in fairly rare cases cause some serious damage to a person......

The write-up though is so breathless and hyperbolic ................its eyerolling.

This is what it looks like in bloom:

1620851212702.png

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleum_mantegazzianum#/media/File:Herkulesstaude_fg01.jpg

An excerpt from a New York Times article on the plant:

1620851434628.png

Link to article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/02/us/giant-hogweed-nyt.html

All of which is to say........the plant can be dangerous, or more specifically its sap can be.

Its a non-native, moderately invasive plant that I would be happy to see gone from Ontario for ecological reasons........

But it doesn't merit panic.

Back