News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 421     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Wi-Fi service underground

I'm sure that the TTC doesn't want to be in the business of directly selling wireless access. I think it is far more likely that they would charge to allow a third-party provider to enable access, and that third party could generate revenue from the service however they wanted.

I can only imagine the outrage from the editorial section in the toronto sun if the TTC where to allow a third party to install wireless service in the tunnels for free when they could have collected some kind of royalties from it,

When cell companies install equipment on property they don't own the property owners get paid. Many condo corporations get revenue from installations on their buildings. If a cash strapped TTC gave their property away for free, I agree with Voltz, the public wouldn't be too happy.

Looks like the TTC will be proceeding with this sometime in the near future - just on platforms for now. The three prequalified companies were
Bell Mobility Incorporated;
Extenet Systems (Telus); and
Broadcast Australia Limited (Rogers)

No mention of WiFi service. Although looks like there'll be no cost to the TTC. We'll see if any of those companies can actually justify the expenditure by themselves...

Edit: Looks like the TTC will also be getting "compensation for use of its space".

Compensation for use of its space is a standard public corporation-utility relationship. If people remember a few years ago Pearson had a spell as a cell phone black zone and free local calling on the payphones because they were the cellphone provider's on-site airport rent was being increased and they didn't want to pay. In the end, what one company is willing to do, the others have to follow or lose a competitive edge. Which company would want to be the one that doesn't provide TTC coverage?

No mention of WiFi service. Although looks like there'll be no cost to the TTC. We'll see if any of those companies can actually justify the expenditure by themselves...

Results are in:

http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...upplementary_Reports/Wireless_Network_in_.pdf

It is strictly cellular wireless although nearly everybody will have a phone with a data plan by the time trials and a full-rollout is complete in ~2 years.

Broadcast Australia Pty Ltd. was the only qualified bidder and made an offer of about $1.2M/year over the minimum for a total of $25,488,000.00.

They need to pass equipment interference trials and contract out access to cover 60% of Toronto cellular subscribers.

Last edited:
Broadcast Australia Pty Ltd. was the only qualified bidder and made an offer of about $1.2M/year over the minimum for a total of $25,488,000.00.
LOL. Bell was disqualified - but they bid only $250,000 a year - which was the minimum that TTC would accept. Doesn't look like they were trying.

rbt:

No data? You've got to be kidding me - all the drawbacks (constant yappers on the platform) and none of the benefits (checking twitter).

AoD

No data? You've got to be kidding me - all the drawbacks (constant yappers on the platform) and none of the benefits (checking twitter).
Have to agree. But is that correct?

I understood there wouldn't be WiFi - but I thought there would be 2G and or 3G. Don't see the point otherwise, as they are only installing it in the stations, and not the tunnels. Will be a lot of short conversations - not as much issue for data.

Hmm, I wonder if the front of the BD trains will become popular places because you'll have a better chance of holding a connection from station to station ...

Have to agree. But is that correct?

I understood there wouldn't be WiFi - but I thought there would be 2G and or 3G. Don't see the point otherwise, as they are only installing it in the stations, and not the tunnels. Will be a lot of short conversations - not as much issue for data.

That was my understanding too; all cellular services would be provided if BA can sell them..

A number of systems in Europe offer or will offer soon "FREE" WiFi through the systems.

A number of systems in Europe offer or will offer soon "FREE" WiFi through the systems.

reading this reminds me just how far behind ttc is compared to most other systems across the world... hong kong for example has had this tech for years and are actually making money off of it

take the politics out of this, then everything will be smooth sailing...there's just too much talking going on and no planning whatsoever...

I spent a good deal of time this summer in the 3rd oldest subway in the world and enjoyed their free wifi services.......they sure had a lot of vision when they built their subway back then.

reading this reminds me just how far behind ttc is compared to most other systems across the world... hong kong for example has had this tech for years and are actually making money off of it

TTC is essentially stuck in 1992, if you want to take a look across the world.
You don't see many cities asking citizens to use tokens to access subways, or day passes on a piece of paper for the dates to be scratched. Sometimes I thought I was in the Philipines, not Canada when taking the subway.

Back