News   Jul 05, 2024
 877     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 517     0 

Why has there been no serious deamalgamation campaign?

In the political world that happened eons ago, the memory of the public is short. What amalgamation?

Last edited:
I realize that, what i mean to say is that its accepted now, people just dont think of it being any other way, thats my guess.

Paula Fletcher brought it up a month ago...Ford has commented on it.

While I think most people liked the two-tiered municipal system we had, it's a more costly system. And that runs counter to the current agenda at City Hall.

It would certainly solve the current issue of political divisiveness we are currently seeing in the city. But the solution to that is to get rid of the divisive politicians at city hall.

The biggest problem associated with amalgamation wasn't switching from a two-tiered system to a single tier....it was the provincial downloading to the municipality that took place.

East York, York, North York, Etobicoke, Scarborough and Toronto all used to be seperate cities. before 1997.

Well no...they weren't really separate cities at all. The "city" was just made up of semi-autonomous boroughs that were created in 1953, and became less and less autonomous as time went on. Which was the idea in the first place.

The biggest problem associated with amalgamation wasn't switching from a two-tiered system to a single tier....it was the provincial downloading to the municipality that took place.

Yup.

My father worked for Metro Toronto Transportation and quit after amalgamation because of that stuff.

East York, York, North York, Etobicoke, Scarborough and Toronto all used to be seperate cities. before 1997.
Well no...they weren't really separate cities at all. The "city" was just made up of semi-autonomous boroughs that were created in 1953, and became less and less autonomous as time went on. Which was the idea in the first place.

I attended East York Board of Education schools in the 1940's & '50's. The Police & Fire vehicles were labelled as "East York" services. Was this just a giant scam, like someone just made it up? East York was not incorporated as a city to my knowledge but was as autonomous as the City of Toronto.

Well no...they weren't really separate cities at all.
What an odd claim! Of course they were separate cities. The cities (or in some cases, towns, etc.) were separate entities withing the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto, and before that, the County of York. The same way any city is an separate entity within a County or Region.

Would you say Mississauga (in Regional Municipality of Peel) isn't a separate city? Would you say Windsor (in Essex County) isn't a separate city?

What an odd claim! Of course they were separate cities. The cities (or in some cases, towns, etc.) were separate entities withing the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto, and before that, the County of York. The same way any city is an separate entity within a County or Region.

Would you say Mississauga (in Regional Municipality of Peel) isn't a separate city? Would you say Windsor (in Essex County) isn't a separate city?

I think he meant culturally?

With the people on here and the streets grumbling and it suprises me why there has been no movement to go back to the six borough format?

If my memory serves me well, and it generally does, after McGuinty won his first election he commented about amalgamation. His comments were generally to the effect that although amalgamation's benefits were sketchy, deamalgamation would be a lot of work, and somewhat painful. I recall some hearts sinking at that time.

Face it, we're stuck with the amalgamated city.

Back