News   May 03, 2024
 996     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 605     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 291     0 

Why doesn't the TTC have electronic fareboxes?

O

Ontarian1976

A streetcar I was on was delayed today because the driver and one of the boarding passengers got into an argument about how much money she had put into the box. Why, in 2006, do they still have fareboxes that force the drivers to try to count the money manually? I can remember even Mississauga Transit having electronic fareboxes in the early 90s, maybe even the late 80s. If someone drops a bunch of nickels into the box, how is the driver supposed to count it just by sight? Is this just a case of TTC being cheap, or is there an actual reason for it?

he does what any right minded ttc collector does during rush hour, pretend to do his job and let everyone through.

There's no sense replacing the gravity boxes until the GTAA figures out what kind of smart-card system will be the norm for Greater Toronto.

The STM in Montreal is only now starting to replace its gravity fare boxes with electronic boxes.

The TTC is historically not the kind of organization that likes to spend lots of money on gadgets or new technology unless forced by the province (see: SRT) This was the agency, after all, that used wire coat hangers to keep the trolley bus wiring up in the last years of its operation. And before the glut of new Orion craptastic low floors, duct tape was employed on many a bus.

The only exception I can think of was back around 1991 or 1992, when the TTC quickly replaced all the linen route signs with electronic ones all at once.

... or how about when the subway door chimes and flashing lights replaced the guard's whistle?

Why can't I buy TTC tickets/tokens/passes with credit cards or interact at every TTC station? This is unacceptable. They should have machines where all this is automated.

Why can't I buy TTC tickets/tokens/passes with credit cards or interact at every TTC station? This is unacceptable. They should have machines where all this is automated.
Cost, strangely enough.

The ATM type devices they're installing for this purpose (2 at Finch, one at Eglinton at the moment as a trial) actually cost quite a bit. Still more than a person staffing a booth.

I don't know why the booths don't take electronic payment. Probably because smart card systems have been on the drawing board for 10 years and they will probably eliminate the booths shortly after.

The trail TTC ATM fare machine cost over $100,000 each which continue to show that TTC is in the 19 centery, considering you can obtain one for $60,000us that do everything.

TTC keeps on reinventing the wheel for almost everything they need today considering they can buy off the shelf items that can do the same thing or better at a lower cost.

It is known as keeping one job or helping keeping other employee's busy.

The new ATM machine for the new Smart Card System coming within the next few years will run any where from $45,000 to $80,000 and will take cash, bill, debit and credit cards to buy any type of fares. They are faster than the current TTC ATM.

Look for the new Smart Card system showing up in 2007 for Union Station in conjuction with GO and MT trail program that is to get under way in 2007. MT will roll out the full system in 2008.

Back