News   May 07, 2024
 474     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 383     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 336     0 

Why does the east end seem to be the hub of white supremacist activity in Toronto?

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
No offense to east enders of course, but there does seem to be a pattern.

Ernst Zundel was based there, as is James Sears, and now there's the "hey white person signs." It seemed like most of the kids that dabbled in "white pride" in the 90s came from the Danforth/East York area. Can it be traced all the way back to the Swastika Clubs in the 30s?

Multiculturalism came about 2 generations later to the east end than the west end.

Ha! No offense to Kensington, but why does it seem like Kensington is the hub of homeless hippies in Toronto?

With all due respect, the premise of this thread is ridiculous.

It treats the "east end" like some monolithic entity, painfully strings together a few random events and places (206 Carlton is actually twice as close to Queen and Spadina than it is to Stan Wadlow Park), adds some unsubstantiated conjecture ("seemed like most of the kids..."), throws in unsupported speculation that it all traces back to events in the 1930s (yeah, Balmy Beach has been known as a nazi hotbed for 80 years now), selectively focuses only on events that support this narrative while ignoring others (e.g. refers to the Swastika clubs (which, by the way, were located across the city), but no mention of the Christie Pits riots; mentions the "hey white persons" posters but ignores the swatikas spraypainted around the UofT campus a month or so ago; notes James Sears but ignores Paul Fromm, etc. etc. etc.). It is then followed by suggestions [ETA: reply in question subsequently deleted] that working class people are inherently more racist (let's just all ignore the history of toe-curling racism/antisemitism by Toronto's upper and middle classes), with some broad, inaccurate comments about demographics thrown in for good measure.

Racism, in all of its forms, is everywhere in Toronto. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Last edited:
I agree that racism is not unique to the white population so let's not define it that way. Lots of non-white people are racists too, I mean, A LOT, and percentage wise, I won't be surprised that it is every higher than the white population.

And racism will stay for a very very long time, because it was never about skin colour, it is about economic status overall. I mean, if all non-white countries are as rich as Singapore or Japan, I don't think even the most extreme white supremacists will still feel any legitimacy in their white-pride.

I agree that racism is not unique to the white population so let's not define it that way. Lots of non-white people are racists too, I mean, A LOT, and percentage wise, I won't be surprised that it is every higher than the white population.

And racism will stay for a very very long time, because it was never about skin colour, it is about economic status overall. I mean, if all non-white countries are as rich as Singapore or Japan, I don't think even the most extreme white supremacists will still feel any legitimacy in their white-pride.

uhh..what? You really should start providing some data to back up some of these claims you make and I'm not only talking about this post.

Don't forget about how some immigrant groups are racist towards other immigrant groups.

Yep, like the vast majority of non-Canadian born Chinese Canadians over 50. I'd say many have issues with non-Chinese Asians as well. #personalexperience #whatioverhearfamilysay

Back