News   Jun 04, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jun 04, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 04, 2024
 645     1 

Why do people care so much about granite counter tops?

origin

Member Bio
Reaction score
They talk about them like they're sex or something. What's so good about granite that people actually make purchasing decisions based on them. If you really desire them so much can't you just rip out the current (crappy) counters and put in some new ones?

Of course you can, but most people don't see this possibility. Personally, I'd much rather find a place that's cheap and in crap condition. A gorgeous brand new kitchen, including granite countertops can be had for less than $10 000 (if you do the labour yourself) but a lot of people would rather pay $30 000 more to not have to deal with it. As to why people like granite? Lots of different looks, patterns, easy to clean, easy to care for (seal once a year or so), can put a boiling hot dish or pan on it and it won't crack. Quartz is even better with no sealing necessary, completely non-porous (so no worries about bacteria) and absolutely no upkeep at all with all of the heat benefits.

personally i like stainless steel countertop better, but in toronto just very hard to get them, also kitchen cabinet as well, i would like that type of cool and easy to maintain look, currently i'm looking to replace a crapy countertop with a stainless steel one, anyone have any idea about how mcuh would it be for a 5.5 feet long and 26 inches width!

Thanks

personally i like stainless steel countertop better, but in toronto just very hard to get them, also kitchen cabinet as well, i would like that type of cool and easy to maintain look, currently i'm looking to replace a crapy countertop with a stainless steel one, anyone have any idea about how mcuh would it be for a 5.5 feet long and 26 inches width!

Thanks

does your countertop area contain a sink?
if so, check out IKEA as they have something along that size that won't cost and arm/leg to custom make @ $100 Per Linear Foot ... similar price to granite.

does your countertop area contain a sink?
if so, check out IKEA as they have something along that size that won't cost and arm/leg to custom make @ $100 Per Linear Foot ... similar price to granite.

yes, it has double sink along with it, also i check with ikea about that, they say is not stainless steel, but something looks like it, actually is a laminate with something i forgot, also, if buy it from ikea, i need to get someone install it for me as well, i think installation fee is even more than the sink got it from ikea, i'll have a look this weekend tho, thanks!

The reason people have been salivating over granite countertops is quite simple... marketing... designers have made them incredibly trendy in recent years. I much prefer quartz, but from an unbiased point of view many people think they look good, are easy to clean, and add character to the kitchen. I'm not a fan of that character and feel you can have a much stylish looking kitchen with quartz. But it all comes down to personal preference and is subjective. Granite is a heck of a lot better than standards from the past.

Stainless steel is great, but the general market considers it "cold" and a reminder of the back kitchen of a restaurant. A nice restaurant, mind you. Granite has a more "warm" earthy sense to it.

I just bought at Market Wharf and quartz comes standard. I'm thrilled.

The pro-quartz arguments could simply written off as marketing too.

IMO, both granite and quartz are great. It's just personal preference, and I usually prefer granite. However, I like quartz too.

More importantly though, for a condo that you don't plan on living in long term, granite countertops aren't as much of a bonus for resale as some might think. Yes, a place with granite may sell for higher than one with cheap stuff, but not $30000 more (if everything else is equal).

Last edited:
A friend of mine has been involved with a jade company, and they've actually been making jade tiles and table tops (but not countertops).

I'm not sure how well it'd hold up as a kitchen countertop but it could be done (esp. if you don't mind smaller pieces of jade, instead of say 6 foot long slabs, etc. like you normally expect with granite). Mind you, it'd be horrendously expensive. It's not jewellery grade jade obviously, but even cheap jade is way more expensive than granite.

The other cool thing is the relative translucency of the higher end jades. You could light it from underneath, so the surface glows.

OK, I'm gonna do it, if I win the lottery: Back lit green translucent jade kitchen countertops. :)

Back