News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Who is "harder" on the TTC...?

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
1. People who haven't really travelled and used public transit outside Toronto?

2. People who have travelled and used transit extensively outside Toronto?

1. People who haven't really travelled and used public transit outside Toronto.

Been to New York City to visit their American Museum of Natural History by subway. On the return trip, wondered why the train was taking so long to arrive in the early afternoon. Turns out the subway station where I had 10 minute service. In Toronto, it is 5 minute service outside of the rush hours. Turns out 10 minute or 15 minute service is about the norm for rapid transit lines in the States, outside of the rush hours.

Been to New York City to visit their American Museum of Natural History by subway. On the return trip, wondered why the train was taking so long to arrive in the early afternoon. Turns out the subway station where I had 10 minute service. In Toronto, it is 5 minute service outside of the rush hours. Turns out 10 minute or 15 minute service is about the norm for rapid transit lines in the States, outside of the rush hours.
I had a similar situation there when I was in New York City last year and wanting to visit AMNH; I had to wait over half an hour for the "correct" train (and because of maintenance, none of the trains stopped there)!

The worse is being stuck waiting on those NYC subway platforms in the summertime. The humidity and lack of ventilation seriously makes it feel like an oven.

The worse is being stuck waiting on those NYC subway platforms in the summertime. The humidity and lack of ventilation seriously makes it feel like an oven.
True, but unlike many other cities, the subway trains are very frequent here during all hours of service and (now they have got their act together) the trains are air conditioned.

True, but unlike many other cities, the subway trains are very frequent here during all hours of service and (now they have got their act together) the trains are air conditioned.

Just wanted to make sure we're on the same page. I was referring to New York City subway platforms.

My guess is among those who have extensive experience with transit outside Toronto, probably those with high expectations might have lived in non-North American industrialized, urban areas like Europe whereas those whose experience of transit is mainly American (or other Canadian) cities might be more appreciative of Toronto's transit even if not finding it ideal.

Within New York, it evens out. You're probably referring to the C train, which has to share tracks with a bunch of different trains (like the A, E, and I believe R). Because of this, services run less frequently, yes, however, the trains are much longer, so you're almost always guaranteed a seat when you get on the train.

I wonder if people who are critical of the TTC have ever been on any system outside North America that hasn't had it's fair share of problems and isn't brand new. You go to London or Vienna and you'll see some really scary subway stations. Rome's metro is infinitely worse than what we have here. People can complain about service, but they forget that trekking down the DVP is infinitely worse than waiting an extra 5-10 minutes for the occasional subway delay.

I think the TTC isn't all that bad. Perhaps I may be wrong, but, I find there's a lot of major assaults that happen on the TTC or maybe the news is just really good at reporting on the incidents that occur? I'm not sure- but I wonder if anyone else has the same impression?

Back