News   Apr 26, 2024
 113     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 148     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 575     0 

Who actually uses transit?

I use TTC to commute Mon-Fri and use it occasionally on a Sunday. Will probably get a metropass from July for the tax break.

My wife uses it solely for commuting - she's not a fan to put it mildly but driving and parking is too expensive.

I will live in Toronto and work in Mississauga once my new place is renoed.

So for me, Toronto is my bedroom, Mississauga is the place of work.

There's no possible way I can get to my work via public transportation, so I own a car.

I will live in Toronto and work in Mississauga once my new place is renoed.

So for me, Toronto is my bedroom, Mississauga is the place of work.

There's no possible way I can get to my work via public transportation, so I own a car.

It seems that you're the poster boy for Toronto's march towards next-Detroit status.

However when I look at the people I know, neighbours, family, family friends, etc. I find it very hard to believe.

Well Mike, it all depends on where you live. When the 2001 Census data came out with Community profiles (which they subsequently deleted recently from the statscan website) broke down the composition between the different former cities. If you live downtown, you are more epped to walking, biking, and taking transit to work vs. the outer boroughs. Makes a lot of sence as well. People when making decisions on where to locate, also consider their transport mode. You generally don't move to somewhere with infrequent transit if you want to take it is your primary mode. Thats why housing ads state if they are close to transit, and what highways they are near.

Yes, the equation is simple: those who live downtown in an urban environment take transit frequently. Downtown, a streetcar or subway is usually less hassle than driving. In the suburbs, the proportions are reversed and everyone drives because taking transit there is a nightmare. When travelling between the suburbs and the downtown, the transport method will probably depend on the specific route.

Basically, most people will take the path of least resistance. It's not reasonable to expect that people will just "do the right thing" and take transit if they have a car sitting at home that can get them where they want to be faster.

That's why the solution is not to goad people into changing their habits; the solution is to change our transit and road systems so that taking transit becomes the logical easier choice for most people. How to do that is the challenge.

My family and friends in the suburbs never take transit, and they think I'm a bit loony for living without a car. My friends downtown use transit almost exclusively -- only a few own cars, and those that do use them mainly for visiting the suburbs.

Basically, most people will take the path of least resistance.

I wouldn't use this argument in pushing wasting hundreds of millions/if not billions of dollars to provide low density areas with rapid transit. People take the path they prefer especially when there are vast numbers in the GTA that generally prefer to drive, and not even having a subway line at the foot of their steps going directly to their work place would change it.

Stop driving, if you live in the suburbs, work in the suburbs; it's not that complicated.

As far as transit use goes, yes, I use the TTC, my family uses the TTC.

Yes, the equation is simple: those who live downtown in an urban environment take transit frequently. Downtown, a streetcar or subway is usually less hassle than driving.

I happen to have known some people who live(d) at Cityplace who prefer driving over transit. I think they find taking the elevator down to the parking garage and then taking a short drive to somewhere else downtown less hassle than going out to the LRT stop and wait for a streetcar.

People's choice of transportation is not as easy as you think.

Back